Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 29547 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Saw a Wikipedia article on the Forengi that was obviously written by someone who was a big fan... Obvious because it only sang their praises but other then saying that they were "sexist" sort of forgot all the other issues with their society.

Such as the fact that most members of their race are essentially slaves and that labour disputes can be resolved with deadly force by the enacting government body (in fact it is illegal to adjust pay meaning that the government sets wage maximums)

Ultimately it means that the Forengi are an elitist society.

I could say more but I am sure everyone here is well aware of why they are hardly the bastion liberty... they just replace one problem with another.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

At least we know Ferengi aren't libertarians: they don't care about that worthless gold.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile

Saw a Wikipedia article on the Forengi that was obviously written by someone who was a big fan... Obvious because it only sang their praises but other then saying that they were "sexist" sort of forgot all the other issues with their society.

Such as the fact that most members of their race are essentially slaves and that labour disputes can be resolved with deadly force by the enacting government body (in fact it is illegal to adjust pay meaning that the government sets wage maximums)

I could say more but I am sure everyone here is well aware of why they are hardly the bastion liberty... they just replace one problem with another.
The Ferengi are exactly like we were about 100 years ago, greedy, biased, and segregating women. They just took it to the extreme.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The Ferengi are exactly like we were about 100 years ago, greedy, biased, and segregating women. They just took it to the extreme.
100 years ago?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile

100 years ago?
Yeah, the 1910's, or maybe 150 years back?
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Quote from: Quark, "The Jem 'Hadar"
You know, Commander, I think I've figured out why humans don't like Ferengi.  The way I see it, humans used to be a lot like Ferengi.  Greedy, acquisitive, interested only in profit.  We're a constant reminder of a part of your past you'd rather forget.

But you're overlooking something.  Humans used to be a lot worse than the Ferengi.  The Hundred Years War, Auschwitz, the Tarsus Four Massacre... we have nothing in our past that even approaches that kind of barbarism.

You see, we're nothing like you.  We're better.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

100 years ago?
Yeah, the 1910's, or maybe 150 years back?
He's saying that we do all of that stuff now. :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile

Quote from: Quark, "The Jem 'Hadar"
You know, Commander, I think I've figured out why humans don't like Ferengi.  The way I see it, humans used to be a lot like Ferengi.  Greedy, acquisitive, interested only in profit.  We're a constant reminder of a part of your past you'd rather forget.

But you're overlooking something.  Humans used to be a lot worse than the Ferengi.  The Hundred Years War, Auschwitz, the Tarsus Four Massacre... we have nothing in our past that even approaches that kind of barbarism.

You see, we're nothing like you.  We're better.
Thank you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know... maybe humans don't like the Ferengi so much because they have long since moved past their bartering economy making their slave society seemingly barbaric.

As well every SINGLE solitary Ferengi shown has been antagonistic and confrontational and their society is entirely based on being antagonistic and confrontational.

In fact the Ferengi have absolutely terrible salesmenship ability but don't realise it. Their ability to be successful buisness owners has more to do with their cutthroat tactics.

Afterall would you want to go to the bar where the owner will try to con you?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:39:22 pm by Neonivek »

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile

Ok, we're off topic, back to the ships please. I do not wish to draw the wrath of the great Toad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, we're off topic, back to the ships please. I do not wish to draw the wrath of the great Toad.

Isn't that topic a bit esoteric?

Other then the Defiant almost all the federation ships look exactly the same. As well the ships for the other races havn't aged well at all outside the Borg whos designs have got dumber over the years (Borg Spheres, Borg Rectangular Prism)

So fine my favorite ship is the Borg Pyramid.

The best part is they have Nanobot mines that have a 2-lightyear radius explosion.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

We're still talking about Star Trek, aren't we? I don't remember Toady banning Ferengi discussion anywhere.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile

We're still talking about Star Trek, aren't we? I don't remember Toady banning Ferengi discussion anywhere.

We were off the established topic, that's why I was worried.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

We were off the established topic, that's why I was worried.
I don't think the boards are THAT strict.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I don't think Toady would get involved unless things here got very badly off-track, moreso if actual flaming or trolling was going on. As long as we're still discussing some aspect of Trek, you should be okay. Of course, you are the thread OP, so technically I guess you're in charge.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26