Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 29546 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2013, 02:17:05 am »

I have to say, Julian is a fun character, accessible to the viewing audience (He's a geek who likes virtual-world games! He's socially awkward with a complicated educational background!), without being annoying. He has a great arc. However, he doesn't quite seem to stand up to McCoy or The Doctor.... Hm... didn't he try to figure out a name for himself? Why not something like Edward M. Harris?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2013, 02:27:13 am »

My favorite part about Julian Bashir?

He probably is the doctor with the most retcons.

Then again Deep Space 9 loves to retcon their characters a lot.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2013, 05:02:52 pm »

I have to say, Julian is a fun character, accessible to the viewing audience (He's a geek who likes virtual-world games! He's socially awkward with a complicated educational background!), without being annoying. He has a great arc. However, he doesn't quite seem to stand up to McCoy or The Doctor.... Hm... didn't he try to figure out a name for himself? Why not something like Edward M. Harris?

He did in the last episode of Voyager. It was Joe Here's a quote about that from Harry Kim.

"That's it? Joe? It took you 30 years to come up with Joe?"
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2013, 01:40:13 am »

Admittingly though the doctor didn't come up with that name himself (and has in fact chosen names temporarily for himself but didn't end up using them) he actually named himself after the woman he was going out with's grandfather.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »

I was wondering what Romulan Ale tastes like.  Or Klingon blood wine, or that unknown green liquor Scotty has stashed in engineering.  I personally would go for the Romulan Ale when it comes to fictional interstellar liquor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »

I was wondering what Romulan Ale tastes like.  Or Klingon blood wine, or that unknown green liquor Scotty has stashed in engineering.  I personally would go for the Romulan Ale when it comes to fictional interstellar liquor.

A lot of those are either uttarly made up or have real life alternatives.

Klingon Blood Wine could be recreated in real life using Turtle Blood.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:40 pm »

They're made up, really?  I'm glad you're here to tell me these things.  I thought Romulans actually existed. ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:51 pm »

They're made up, really?  I'm glad you're here to tell me these things.  I thought Romulans actually existed. ;)

A LOT of things in Startrek sound made up but are dirrectly stollen from something else.

Bloodwine being one of them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:32 pm »

A LOT of things in Startrek sound made up but are dirrectly stollen from something else.

Bloodwine being one of them.
I don't even...

How do you "directly steal" an obscure type of beverage by using it as an element of a culture in your work of fiction? Did TNG somehow "steal" tea, Earl Grey hot as well? Or the concept of three dimensional chess from Ferdinand Maack's Raumschah?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:02 am »

unknown green liquor Scotty has stashed in engineering.

Aldebaran whiskey, I believe. And I believe it is the same thing that Scotty and Picard drink in TNG episode 'Relics'.

Why?

'It's green' :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »

How do you "directly steal" an obscure type of beverage by using it as an element of a culture in your work of fiction?

Because it is cheap when you see an alien culture and it goes "OOoOooOoOooh We make blood sausage arn't we so alien?" and you can't help but go "Not really".

Heck I think the Klingons have blood pudding.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »

How do you "directly steal" an obscure type of beverage by using it as an element of a culture in your work of fiction?

Because it is cheap when you see an alien culture and it goes "OOoOooOoOooh We make blood sausage arn't we so alien?" and you can't help but go "Not really".

I honestly don't see what point you're trying to make here. That Star Trek aliens are Not So Different in ways other than being humans with funny forehead ridges and ears? Because, um, duh. That's in line with the underlying themes of much of the franchise. The cultural elements aren't being used to make any given polity seem "alien" (I would posit that they are not being "used" at all, in fact), but to give each a slightly different flavor. Klingons are warlike, have big forehead spikes, have bloody comestibles, and use absurdly silly melee weapons; Vulcans suppress their emotions, have pointy ears, and tend to play the straight man of the Boke and Tsukkomi sequences; and so forth. There's not really anything here to complain about, unless you're somehow complaining about the facts that they aren't all identical, so I am somewhat bemused by your statements. Is this another one of your negativity-for-the-sake-of-negativity posts?  ???

3. Run Resize Enable

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2013, 04:47:05 pm »

and use absurdly silly melee weapons;

Silly melee weapons? I would LOVE to have a Bat'Leth. Damn sword looks badass.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2013, 04:56:04 pm »

They had some of those at the sorta-Renaissance Faire I went to the other week. Try checking at events like those in your area. Or try online.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »

Silly in the sense that they'd be utterly impractical, even in an era where your opponent couldn't pull out a pocket-sized directed energy weapon.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26