Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: ArmA 3  (Read 20296 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ArmA 3 Alpha
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54:13 pm »

Not looking forward to wade through my steam friends list again just to play a damn game.
Erm wat? Why would you need to go through your friends list to play a game? Your games are listed in your games library. You can also disable steam friends entirely by selecting 'offline' from the steam friends thingy.

Also, saw a screen of the server list and it says it uses gamespy. odd decision considering they could have simply used steam's list thingy. Hopefully they'll switch over at some point.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »

Also there is no Steam-free version of ArmA 3 anyway, because BIStudios decided that printing disks cut into profits too much and they've had very good fortune with selling their other products on Steam.
Nothing important here, move along.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »

Not looking forward to wade through my steam friends list again just to play a damn game.
Erm wat? Why would you need to go through your friends list to play a game? Your games are listed in your games library. You can also disable steam friends entirely by selecting 'offline' from the steam friends thingy.

Also, saw a screen of the server list and it says it uses gamespy. odd decision considering they could have simply used steam's list thingy. Hopefully they'll switch over at some point.
ArmA has always used Gamespy, it would be easier to go with them again. Though it is surprising considering Gamespy's recent tendencies to drop services without warning.

My comments about the steam friends list are sort of deeper than that. Turning the "friends" system online still shows you as online in your community profile. That's just going to piss anyone trying to contact you off. Then there's the fact that I'd just flat out rather turn steam off sometimes. More CPU/RAM for the game. (Not that I'm struggling on the RAM side, but steam has a tendency to throw hissy fits over the CPU.)
In general though, I just prefer to not have steam running at all. It works out so much better when I'm trying to play a game.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:52 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTSXRjvQiOg

Yes. Being able to turn around like that is going to save my ass so much.

In other news, Dslyecxi is a terrifying mofo.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:14:28 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 03:11:32 am »

Were you on his civilian mission yesterday :P
Btw I love the new interface and controls, arma ii always felt ten years old in that respect.
Also  the environment is much more lively, with big bushes and rocks and stuff to break the monotony of the landscape.
AndA you canl actually control vehicles at high speed!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:42 am »

Yay, I put together a little video of a little launch party we had with folks from FolkARPS, if anyone's interested :)

Now, YouTube makes it look like it runs better and looks better, mostly because encoding makes it seem there's some AA, and blurs things so movement is somehow smoother. I'm getting pretty worried that I won't be able to put the settings down so I can be reliably above 20fps... especially since I got this laptop in January, and won't be getting anything new anytime soon.

Still, the visuals are pretty good, and if there isn't too much happening, it runs at least comparably to A2 :)

Also, the normal Alpha edition is back up at the BIS store, which appears to be working nicely :)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:17 am »

Its running faster than ARMA2 on my system, but looks better. Of course, the looking better thing may be due to more... stuff... instead of better textures etc, but either the end result is the same, looks good. plays good. lots of fun.
Magma is overrated.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 07:07:51 am »

Sneakey pete, I also thought that until I tried missions with more stuff happening. The last mission in that video of mine was about 15-18fps as soon as people started shooting, and there weren't that many AI or people playing. I'm afraid of what this means for the 200+ AI coops we sometimes play :(

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 07:08:30 am »

How's the AI in this game? Any better than in ARMA 2?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 07:41:37 am »

How's the AI in this game? Any better than in ARMA 2?

Much better and more dynamic, but far from perfect. They occasionally still do that stand next to me without noticing me only to then slowly rotate 90 degrees and shoot thing. Most of the time it's good but then I run into an enemy that seems to be running on the original Arma AI programming.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:44 am »

Also, the normal Alpha edition is back up at the BIS store, which appears to be working nicely :)
Wanted to get it there but wasn't actually sure if that was ever going to happen, since it didn't look like there was going to be any other version available.

Oh well, it's on steam now so I just need to wait for a few days to get it downloaded then I should be able to take a look at it.
Honestly though, if they're planning on three DLCs for this, it's really going to have to blow me away with new and awesome stuff to actually get me on board with it.

I'm still very worried that this is something of a step away from the old true-to-life combat simulator and is headed more in the direction of something like Ghost Recon.
(Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the original Ghost Recon as a console shooter, but that franchise was pretty terrible.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:12 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if parts of the AI are still from ARMA 2. I know the flight mechanics are not the ARMA 3 ones just yet.

Otherwise loving it so far...a much more polished ARMA 2 at the very least. The better graphics alone are a very welcome change.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 11:55:47 am »

I read a post earlier that stated something along the lines that the "changes from the OA beta have not been incorporated into A3". In other words, it's the same engine. They've revamped the graphics parts, But otherwise I wouldn't expect it to be massively changed.

They have modularised it a bit more in places, and added PhysX. But again, it's an alpha, so I'm still hoping for more optimisation. In particular, people seem to not be able to get above 30fps with very good rigs on any settings for the helicopter showcase, and their GPUs and CPUs are underutilised. I am hoping there's a fix for this and it's not just a matter of how they handle multithreading...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »

I can't seem to run it at all.
The loader comes up about intialising everything and all that, screen goes dark as if it's opened a fullscreen window, but then I just go back to whatever window was open before and nothing happens. The game window doesn't open.

And the problem with newly released alphas is that there are no bug reports already there with answers on them.

EDIT: And that makes the first BSoD of the year.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:35:21 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13