Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vermin civilizations!  (Read 2564 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Vermin civilizations!
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:29 am »

I want Lilliputians. no. i DEMAND Lilliputians.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin civilizations!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »

you should lock the thread before you're made fun of
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Helari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:47:44 pm »

you should lock the thread before you're made fun of

end yourself

I want Lilliputians. no. i DEMAND Lilliputians.

good idea

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »

Why?  What could this possibly add that wouldn't be lame?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:49:09 pm »

Why?  What could this possibly add that wouldn't be lame?
It could add Liliputians.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:19 pm »

I've heard Kobolds are small. About 1/3 as large as a human, I think?

How fo you propose to implement that, exactly? A tag that says they can, something hardcoded, an entity_x?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:52 pm »

actually at the moment I have no idea how it could be added to the game in its current state.

However I STILL DEMAND LILLIPUTIANS!!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:46 pm »

...I think the OP is suggesting some, undefined mechanisms which would allow vermin civilizations to function properly, and an entity be included in vanilla to use those mechanisms.

I'm not sure what they could add to Fortress Mode, but Adventurer Mode could be fun. Heck, size-changing magic would make Lilliputians extra-fun.

All of this needs to wait until size is better-accounted-for, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:05:40 pm »

This... This almost sounds like you LIKE my suggestion!?

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL GREATWYRMGOLD??

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:42 am »

...I think the OP is suggesting some, undefined mechanisms which would allow vermin civilizations to function properly, and an entity be included in vanilla to use those mechanisms.

I'm not sure what they could add to Fortress Mode, but Adventurer Mode could be fun. Heck, size-changing magic would make Lilliputians extra-fun.

All of this needs to wait until size is better-accounted-for, though.
I once changed the size of dwarves to the size of a sock if that counts

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:45 am »

Why...how would their civilization survive their like 6 inches tall, I mean a cat alone would be= to godzilla rampaging through their cities, an elephant would be= to a mega titan attack, and well a titan attack would wipe out their entire civilization without even realizing it.

War: See above. They could be wiped out by 1 dwarf child. An if you do go to war,well what would be the point you can't use anything you loot from them, OH look I got some tiny clothes that fit on my pinky. An arrow would wipe out half of a siege, and a ballista/catapult well, I shudder to think of.

Gathering resources: How can they cut down trees, I can see them making tiny holes in rock=to mining, how would they farm I mean the grass would be = to trees.

Trade: How would you use anything they trade, I could see them using a helmet/armor as housing, but beyond that what is the incentive to trade.

Travel: Just imagine how long it would take them to get to your fortress to do anything.

Animals: They would be unable to hunt anything without the risk of complete destruction of their civilization so how would they get meat.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:53:59 pm by locustgate »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 11:16:50 pm »

You people do realize that the vermin tag has nothing to do with the actual size of a creature, and you can just create a [SIZE:1] creature that is otherwise normal, right?

The vermin token is used to make them easier on the CPU to process and to make their movements abstracted and have them generally be less detailed as units than other types of creatures.  (Vermin cannot pathfind, for example.)

Making vermin into civilization creatures wouldn't work at all because civ creatures need to have detail payed attention to what they are doing and how they are moving.

Being small has nothing to do with being vermin - vermin just are small creatures, because vermin coding is applied just to creatures that are considered too small to be worth worrying about their exact movements.

Please try to understand the subject you are talking about before you go making suggestions.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:58 am »

Also, we have ants and bees, those could be considered vermin civilizations...

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:25:27 am »

in an entity file what would happen if you defined vermi lets say rats instead of dwarves etc

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 08:51:31 pm »

Nothing good?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.
Pages: [1] 2 3