Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Passanger trains  (Read 685 times)

Rinin_Rus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Passanger trains
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:44:43 am »

Tracks are an awesome feature, probably adding another feature for routes will make then even better. If there is a route with at least two stops in it, it could be included into the pathfinding, by adding "pathfinding length" property to routes. It will allow to construct passenger railway systems.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:22:14 am by Rinin_Rus »
He has a lot of willpower,  but he has very little linguistic ability

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Passanger trains
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20:19 am »

Translated into english:

Tracks are an awesome feature, probably adding another feature for routes will make then even better. If there is a route with at least two stops in it, it could be included into the pathfinding, by adding "pathfinding length" property to routes. It will allow to construct passenger railway systems.

That would be very nice indeed, but you should be able to toggle if dwarves are allowed to ride this cart as a "train", so no dwarf will use the minecart into the trash pile because he saw a XX*sheep wool sock*XX there.. :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:16:27 pm »

There weren't any trains in the 1400's. Make passenger minecart systems and call it a day; anything else is beyond the cutoff date for DF tech.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »

In any case, given how much vertical space is in the average fortress passenger elevators would be much more useful.

Oddly enough, they were invented before the cut-off date, according to Wikipedia, though I'd guess they could probably be fitted in with the same rationale as magma forges in any case.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:20:59 pm »

In any case, given how much vertical space is in the average fortress passenger elevators would be much more useful.

Oddly enough, they were invented before the cut-off date, according to Wikipedia, though I'd guess they could probably be fitted in with the same rationale as magma forges in any case.

"Elevators" (read: moving fortress pieces) are part of the devpages already, under improved mechanics (near the bottom).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

arbiter787

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING] noobishness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:00 am »

A lot of things were invented before the cutoff date that you might not expect. For example, I believe vending machines were invented in a rudimentary form around the year 7.
Most people say "I hate losing". I say "Hells yes I lost to a zombie unicorn rampage!