Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a good tilesize/tile width/depth for 1080p monitor  (Read 5195 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
a good tilesize/tile width/depth for 1080p monitor
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:38:10 am »

I've taken something of a hiatus from DF for... oh... 3 or so years.

And I got a wild hare to play again, but I would like a good graphics configuration for a resolution of 1920x1080, I probably don't have to worry about it running very slow since I upgraded to a 4ghz i7.

Any suggestions?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a good tilesize/tile width/depth for 1080p monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:10 am »

The answers will vary wildly. I prefer 10x10 on both my 1080p screens, but that's a bit of a zoomed out look. The most common are 16x16 or 18x18, so use whichever you prefer. Technically neither will fit nicely into your stated resolution, but that won't make much of a difference".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:37:05 am by Taffer »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:34:17 am »

Just from scrolling through the tileset repository, Nagidal and Sir Henry's look pretty huge.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »

I suppose what I am looking for a 24x24 version of some of the graphical tilesets like mayday or phoebus, which is something I don't see on the wiki. And simply scaling them up will tend to produce unwanted artifacts without a lot of finicky work.

I may just have to go with a 16x16 tileset and increase horizontal tiles by 50% and vertical tiles by what? 250%
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:43:07 pm »

You can just set the RESIZABLE option in init.txt and play around until you get it where you want. Then count the tiles and change the init.txt size parameters to make it permanent.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

Maybe someone could make a tileset out of Battle of Wesnoth sprites.  ???
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:13:24 pm »

You can just set the RESIZABLE option in init.txt and play around until you get it where you want. Then count the tiles and change the init.txt size parameters to make it permanent.

The simple answer is that DF is 80 tiles wide, and 25 tiles tall by default, so "fullscreen" will basically mean dividing native screen width by 80.  For 1920 pixels, that's 24, so 24x24.  And that's what Nadaka was talking about, earlier.

Unfortunately, some of us use older monitors and computers, so the most popular graphics are all 16x16 (for older/cheaper 1280x960 monitors) or 18x18 (for 1440x1080 monitors).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:09:18 pm »

Code: [Select]
[FULLSCREENX:0]
[FULLSCREENY:0]
[FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
This is what I have running fullscreen. Looks pretty good IMO.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:25:37 pm »

I usually use herbdogs or bisasams ascii tilesets.
Bisasam in particular comes with a 24x24 res, meaning it uses the minimum 80tiles width on a 1920x1080 resolution.

Currently im running a non-square set by shizzle.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

I was working on a 24x24 tileset with everything, including individual creatures, and I got about 20% into it when I was waylaid by another game, so between that and DF and work there's now no time, but I plan on revisiting this thing in a couple months.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 04:27:09 pm »

I'm on a 1080 screen here and thought I'd pipe up. 

Your average 1080x1920 screen is going to be some sort of television.  If it's an LCD screen, then strong contrast at a fine granularity over a wide stretch of horizontal pixels can cause flickering, so whatever tileset you choose, make sure it doesn't have many tiles with alternating dark/light/dark/light (the sky tiles used in the default tileset are a good example of this). 

For my own use lately I've been using jolly bastion mainly for the reason that there are no such tiles included, so I'm not getting my eyeballs scooped out every time I see a swath of sky appear.  16x16 means that there is a very large amount of terrain visible if I play with the screen maximized, but I usually play with DF on half the screen and something else open on the other side. 
where is up?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:07 pm »

so I'm not getting my eyeballs scooped out every time I see a swath of sky appear.

Kids these days. In my time you could count the refresh ratio of the screen by looking away from the CRT.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

I'm on a 1080 screen here and thought I'd pipe up. 

Your average 1080x1920 screen is going to be some sort of television.

Technically, you put the "x" dimension first, so a "1080 screen" means 1080x910, and you'd call a 1920x1080 screen a "1920 screen".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:18 pm »

I suppose what I am looking for a 24x24 version of some of the graphical tilesets like mayday or phoebus, which is something I don't see on the wiki. And simply scaling them up will tend to produce unwanted artifacts without a lot of finicky work.

I may just have to go with a 16x16 tileset and increase horizontal tiles by 50% and vertical tiles by what? 250%
To be honest, this also interest me greatly. I would like to see a 24x24 tileset like Ironhand, Phoebus or Mayday.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 08:12:29 am »

Speaking of tilesets: I have a 64x tileset in the works, mostly aimed at detailed screenshots and crazy people with 2 big screens next to each other... but I want to do a downscaled version later, possibly 32x and 48x. A 24x version would not be a problem. Downscaling is a lot easier then upscaling. :)

Here is the thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123604.0

@arkhometha: Check out arclances tileset resizer, and you can do a 24x24 version of Ironhand, Phoebus or Mayday yourself in no time. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::