Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?  (Read 23167 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

You can handle it dude.
Shoes...

Linras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2013, 07:35:29 am »

Roguelike fans either love or hate Angband. There is no middle way.

In Vanilla at least, gameplay follows a "grind, sell loot, optimize character" cycle until you are ready to take on Morgoth (and hopefully win).

Some gamers find this immensely appealing, others are quickly bored by the repetitive tasks and the time needed to breed a winning character.

Variants just add more stuff, without radically altering the gameplay. There are exceptions of course, like Sil, but it is debatable whether they are still Angband variants in the strict sense.

I was an Angband fan when I was young, and even wrote a variant of some repute (actually it was just a smattering of my own and others' code without any guiding principles). But after more than 15 years, version 3.0.x is just not that different from 2.8.x back when I started. All this time and the devteam did not even add water streams to the dungeon to spice it a bit (ZAngband had them 15 years ago).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:59 am »

I was an Angband fan when I was young, and even wrote a variant of some repute (actually it was just a smattering of my own and others' code without any guiding principles). But after more than 15 years, version 3.0.x is just not that different from 2.8.x back when I started. All this time and the devteam did not even add water streams to the dungeon to spice it a bit (ZAngband had them 15 years ago).

+1

And one of the reasons I can't play Dungeons of Dreadmore.  It's basically the same way.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:36 am »

I'm pretty sure Dungeons of Dredmor is meant to be a more accessible Angband. Even if not intentional, that's what it is.

I do not love or hate Angband. Maybe I'm just not a roguelike fan. I recognize the grind to be tedious, but mostly enjoy it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2013, 10:56:33 am »

I'm pretty sure Dungeons of Dredmor is meant to be a more accessible Angband. Even if not intentional, that's what it is.

Yeah, it pretty much is.  It's humorous and I don't regret buying it.  I just find it frustrating to play. :\
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:58:23 am by Draco18s »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2013, 11:05:13 am »

gameplay follows a "grind, sell loot, optimize character" cycle until you are ready to take on Morgoth (and hopefully win).

Some gamers find this immensely appealing, others are quickly bored by the repetitive tasks and the time needed to breed a winning character.

Try playing Sil. (http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/) While technically part of the Angband family it doesn't play like that at all. It is the first dungeon crawl roguelike I actually like. It was already referred to as the new, good middle-earth first-age themed Angband variant in this thread. Very well made game, less stupid repetition and much more accessible (not easier) than anything else I have seen of the genre.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:12:15 am by taptap »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »

But after more than 15 years, version 3.0.x is just not that different from 2.8.x back when I started. All this time and the devteam did not even add water streams to the dungeon to spice it a bit (ZAngband had them 15 years ago).

I think that's as it should be, really.  It's a mature project, and should get bug fixes only.  Enhancements like water areas are for the variants.

BenH did a superb job cleaning up the 2.6 sourcecode when he took over maintenance, so it's one of the easiest roguelikes to make a variant of.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2013, 05:58:17 pm »

How does one get more attacks by rounds ?

I have read from google that it's linked to the class, to strength and dexterity and to the kind of weapon you're using.
Warrior classes (my character) can reach up to 6 attacks by round apparently. As i'm exploring depth 30 and am level 31 barbarian warrior, i start to meet many monsters that do several attacks by round , while my character is stuck at only 2 blows/rounds since nearly the beginning of his career.

Here's my character info :

strength is more than 18, dexterity is more than 18 , Fighting is at "Chaos Rank" , burden is not at half of what my character can carry, he's using an artifact basillard , that is a short sword , he's level 31 "Hero" but still only 2 attacks by round.

Is that some problem of the old Angband version used by ZangbandTK or is there something i'm overlooking completely there ?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2013, 06:05:37 pm »

It might be the variant you're using, I know some of them tone down attacks per round.  In regular Angband you should definitely have at least four attacks with all of that.
Shoes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2013, 06:24:53 pm »

Thanks, it was starting to bother me a bit as i could'nt figure out why my charcter was stuck to 2 since so much time.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 03:02:37 pm »

I defeated two baby green dragons, got teleported while rushing Wormtongue, then was killed by Lagduf, the Snaga. CL12, DL9. I feel like a real Angband player now (if still a noob).

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »

I just spent an entire CL walking around with 8 strength instead of my usual 18/40, due to button-mashing a red jelly or something. I noticed that something was wrong after I was almost killed by a veteran townie. It took ages to gain a level.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2013, 11:01:53 am »

Quick note: berlios.de, the main site with Unangband downloads, seems to have shut down (it's even listed as the download source in the variant directory at oook.cz). If you want to download the most recent Unangband or Unbrogue, just use this sourceforge link.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:16 am »

Does anyone play the variant Sil? It's really great. It's set during the first age and is very different from other variants. The gameplay has a more modern feel to it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:24:41 am by joey4track »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2013, 01:07:06 am »

Anyone know why I'm almost dying to a centepide on L1? Vanilla Angband, level 8 or something character with a main gauche as a weapon. And yet when I'm fighting L1 centipedes or even L2 monsters that I used to slaughter with ease, it keeps telling me 'you fail to harm the herp derp'. Anyone know what causes this?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8