Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?  (Read 23175 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 03:21:11 pm »

And once i reached DL : 1 and got ready to find the exit to the surface i ran into a The Greater hell-beast, at DL : 1 and my level 21 Barbarian that was well equipped (and found a very nice sword with a demon slaying brand) was no match, the thing was taking nearly no hit (fortunately my character wasn't taking as large damage as i thought he would get)
Teleporting saved the day and i could exit

Your armor class must have been so bad that every time the Beast hit you, the damage exceeded the capacity of a 16-bit integer, and wrapped around into the negatives.  Lucky!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 03:30:26 pm »

It's a 'joke monster' - the idea being that as soon as an experienced player sees a "U" monster on DL1 or so, s/he cacks themselves but it doesn't do any direct damage, apart from being very, very annoying indeed...
Odd, i would have sworn i was taking some damage.
Unless i was already damaged when i faced that thing and didn't noticed.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2013, 03:42:32 pm »

No, they don't actually hurt.  They can kill you indirectly, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:03 pm »

Instead of going back in the dungeon after a trip back home to identify some loot, i decided to go east out of town, after a few screens reached another one with a different layout and shops.

I went into the castle of it and requested a quest, i got a "sewer" quest, danger level 5, so something certainly very easy for my level 21 barbarian warrior.

The quest involves killing every monster on the level, so i went there and started clearing it from the easy monster there.

But what i didn't knew is that there was at least 1 gremlin in the level ... a level flooded with water ... gremlin reproduce at light speed on water.
They're not hard, as my character 1 hit kill them and they don't do real damage anymore at my character level.

So i'm on a sewer floor that is now filled with gremlins, i kill 1 gremlin in 1 hit, but they apparently spawn even quicker than this as i can't move forward in a corridor anymore.

I read a satisfy hunger spell, left some heavy object on my move left key and went to the toilet.
When i was back my barbarian warrior , that was level 21 , is now level 24 , having killed :

used a recall scroll, stupid quest.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:03 pm »

Reminds me of when I was in a similar situation in a previous version of vanilla Angband. Fruit flies gave you 2 xp per kill or something and breeded explosively. I could just hold down an arrow key and eventually leveled up from like level 23 to level 30. This exploit has since been removed.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:00 pm »

(fruit fly farming)

I remember doing that, but never so high in level, and never for more than a couple levels worth...  Maybe around level 6-10, depending on class and access to stinking cloud / recalls / healing.

-----

I played a bunch of Angband back in the frog-knows to 2.2ish days, and fiddled with it a bit around 2.9.x when I was feeling nostalgic.  I am glad that the push was made to GPL the code, it will help it live well into the future.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »

That must be the version then, ZAngbandTK is based on an old version of Angband (as the Ztk dev hasn't updated it since 2009), maybe that's why this gremlin (not only very boring but very annoying as it prevent a quest completion) exploit is still there.

Though if i knew this quest was broken beforehand, maybe i would have bought this genocide expensive scroll in the blackmarket, it should have been able to get rid of all the gremlins on that level (though i wonder what would have been the health loss on my character as the whole level was flooded by them breeding each turn everywhere due to the water being on the whole floors)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:40:39 pm by Robsoie »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »

Reminds me of when I was in a similar situation in a previous version of vanilla Angband. Fruit flies gave you 2 xp per kill or something and breeded explosively. I could just hold down an arrow key and eventually leveled up from like level 23 to level 30. This exploit has since been removed.

Are you sure?  I've just spent an hour looking through the most recent source code and I can't find anywhere that suppresses experience gain for breeders or cloned monsters.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2013, 04:09:04 pm »

Clearing floor 15 seemed to have been worth it :

Not bad at all in comparison to what i had.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2013, 04:42:21 pm »

Are you sure?  I've just spent an hour looking through the most recent source code and I can't find anywhere that suppresses experience gain for breeders or cloned monsters.

I really don't remember, but I think that fruit flies don't breed anymore?

Looking through my character's monster knowledge, I can only find a Giant Fruit Fly, which does not breed.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2013, 06:33:47 pm »

I really don't remember, but I think that fruit flies don't breed anymore?

Looking through my character's monster knowledge, I can only find a Giant Fruit Fly, which does not breed.

Hm, true, MULTIPLY was removed from Giant Fruit Flies for some reason.  Which is funny, because they're DL10 monsters, yet only do 1d2 damage, have 3 HP, and are worth only 4 base XP.

Meanwhile, Giant White Mice are DL1 monsters, also do 1d2 damage, have 2 HP, and are worth 1 base XP.  And do have the MULTIPLY attribute.

It strikes me that Giant Fruit Flies are underpowered for their depth.

Ah.  Giant Fruit Flies have +10 speed.  If they still had MULTIPLY, that would justify their depth.

But anyway, I thought you meant that infinite breeding had been removed in general.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2013, 07:11:44 pm »

Yeah, it seems like most explosive breeders aren't worth farming, either because they do bad shit to you like worm masses or they don't give enough experience when you're strong enough to tape the button down on them.
Shoes...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2013, 08:39:17 pm »

Yeah, it seems like most explosive breeders aren't worth farming, either because they do bad shit to you like worm masses or they don't give enough experience when you're strong enough to tape the button down on them.

I think that's the idea. :p

My favorite explosive breeder (or at least breeder) were the fake walls.  They had no attack and couldn't move, if I recall correctly, but were worth a fair bit of EXP.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2013, 11:03:53 pm »

How exactly does one get a foothold with some of the character combinations in Entroband? I've lost three characters on the first floor of the dungeon and one Shadow Fairy ten steps into the dungeon thanks to a poison gas trap.

Whaaarrblebleble lemme play my shadow fairy blue mage already aarghargh.

Try a (Human? High elf?) Red Mage or something instead until you know the game pretty well. The physical and general combat penalties from blue mages are outrageous, they're like a joke character.

In Entroband and many Zang variants even more than Angband, you've gotta grind a little. Seriously, there's a ton of grinding to do in the overworld, and you have quests you can do early on, easy monsters to tackle for cash, etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:05:29 pm by freeformschooler »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:09 am »

Bumping to say... chengband. Tonberry Ninja. Abandon ye' all hope, for reality no longer holds mercy for thine flesh. The butcher comes.

I will say, the heng/etc. Ninja is one of the more interesting critters I've seen in a roguelike... game in general, really. Inverts some stuff, add some interesting tricks. They're just... nice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8