Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?  (Read 23177 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 09:59:06 pm »

The latest version is only precompiled with graphics and I want it both ways.
There's a option menu. In the option menu is a graphics dropdown. If by want it both ways you mean you want to be able to swap to ASCII. That's the "none" option.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 10:22:53 pm »

ffffffffffffff. Thank you. Works.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:25:06 pm by Lectorog »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:40 pm »

Huh. Got the version from here? Or here, I guess.

Anyway, in your main folder there should be a angband.ini. Should be a graphics=X in there. 0 is ASCII, 1-5 is varying built in tilesets.

E: Ah, edit while I was typing, Nevermind.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 10:40:59 pm »

Yeah. Unfortunately, the incredible foolishness carries on into the game. I go around eating and drinking unidentified substances and attacking everything in sight. There's only one best way to learn.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »

You learn faster by surviving.  If you're not sure about a monster, look it up.  Remember that you can sell an item to identify it.  This is good with scrolls and wands, not so much with rods and saves, and especially not with weapons and armor unless you suspect they're cursed (a shopkeeper won't buy useless items unless they're unidentified).

Do not sell-identify items on a level with a good feeling.  Good Angbanders only sell a potion of augmentation once.

EDIT:  I have a question of my own, for those among us with more experience than I.  I'm finding my inventory space highly circumscribed.  I have a rod of recall which helps but I'm afraid of getting it zapped and being stuck out of depth so I have scrolls as well.  Any inventory management tips?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:09:52 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:36 pm »

The potion of see invisible is a curse. Cannot unsee. Clear worm masses. Everywhere. All over. Death by poison.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 11:47:53 pm »

Is there any way to prevent an item from being destroyed at all in Zang or original Angband? Like say I have a really nice rod.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 01:04:42 am »

Spoiler: Oh nooooo! (click to show/hide)

You did good, buddy.  Sleep well.

A patriarch did me in, summoned a berserker and a pack of dreads which followed me around while I desperately tried to recall.  I'm honestly not that beat up about it, not nearly as beat up as I thought I'd be.  He made it much much farther than any of my previous characters; I basically learned how to play Angband with him.  Now that I know, I can avoid his mistakes and make it further this time.  Probably with a magic-capable character like a ranger.

Among my mistakes (So you can learn):

If it doesn't significantly benefit you (through loot, xp, or survival), don't bother.  If the drawbacks outweigh the benefits, don't bother.  This means gear damage, stat drain you can't afford, etc.
Killdudes is not a viable strategy in Angband. 
Don't use Gorlim.
Angband is long as fuck, so Crawl and Nethack speedrun tips apply to regular Angband runs.  By minimizing turncount, you can afford to take greater risks.
Have a variety of reliable detection abilities.  Traps, treasure, doors/stairs, and monsters.  Know what you're up against before you go up against it, and don't be afraid to leave a floor if it doesn't look worth the effort/risk.  Probably shouldn't have preserve mode on unless you're dead set on it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:24:30 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:12 am »

YASD: Level 20 warrior lady with Longsword of Extra Attacks and all kind of resists. My faults: underestimating a unique, letting myself get surrounded by armor-eating ochre jellies, running out of teleport/phase scrolls.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:27 pm »

my level 19 barbarian met some life threatening situations on DL 11 or 12 , caught by many spectral phantoms i got from summoning monster scroll (stupidly right clicked -> Read the wrong scroll without paying enough attention as all i wanted was to use the "Treasure Detection" one instead)

Those things can go through walls (nullifying my move back into corridor tactic to control the fight) and attack from there, similarly to Dreads in ToME4, though they're visible they still hit much harder than any monster i met up to the current DL i am in.

It's time like these you're -very- happy to have some phase door scroll along your recall one (as stairs to regenerate the level and get rid of that threat was too far away).

Next time i'll get rid of those silly monster summon scroll i was keeping for .. i don't ever remember the reason .. (as no shops buy them)

In other new, i really need to invest in ranged weapons, Smeagol and Wormtongue demonstrated to me why : not because they're strong (my character is stronger) but because they teleport away just after touching you (and stealing lot of gold by the way), making them extremely annoying .

Smeagol even more annoying as he's invisible (so you need detect invisible or infravision potions) and is -much faster- than you, and seemed to dodge every attempt at shooting him with my wand of magic missile (what Wormtongue couldn't do).

Still not found any item giving me "free action", annoying as diving lower could mean game over with the many paralyse monsters and how stronger they're hitting
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:17:44 pm by Robsoie »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:55 pm »

For early game free action, I've seen it several times at the black market. Not sure when/how the shops restock, though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that paralyze isn't quite as nasty as it used to be, and you can survive diving past 20 without free action if you're careful.

If you have detect monster it should be especially easy.  The biggest thing to worry about paralysis-wise at D20 is carrion crawlers.  Just don't go anywhere near them and you're fine.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 11:59:19 pm »

I don't know anything about UnAngband, sorry dude.  Thinking about trying some variants though, especially ToME3 now that I know more about Bands and roguelikes in general.  I hadn't even beaten nethack back when I played ToME.

In other news, my high elf warrior is looking pretty good.  Found Kelen's Grimoire and sold it for 30k since I ain't got no magic.  That's a big boost, so I'm going on a shopping spree.

EDIT:  Another tip, don't fuck with umber hulks if you're not immune to confuse and can't kill it in one turn.  It will confuse you every time it acts, so curing is useless. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:30:54 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 02:07:16 pm »

I just killed Robin Hood !
Hunted him down several time as the damn thing steal and teleported away a few times.

Between that, the Ewoks , the Nimbelungs and etc... i guess ZangbandTK may have even less to do with Tolkien's world than vanilla.

While climbing up (wanted to spare a recall scroll), i killed Smeagol accidentally by running into him without even trying to fight the guy, funny because when i was seriously trying to kill him in a previous dive when using multiple detect invisible scroll and shooting with my wand of magic missiles, i was unable to land a single hit and he always teleported away.

I guess luck still play a huge part in this :D

And once i reached DL : 1 and got ready to find the exit to the surface i ran into a The Greater hell-beast, at DL : 1 and my level 21 Barbarian that was well equipped (and found a very nice sword with a demon slaying brand) was no match, the thing was taking nearly no hit (fortunately my character wasn't taking as large damage as i thought he would get)
Teleporting saved the day and i could exit

Apparently my character is "a bitter enemy of Honour" too
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:09:20 pm by Robsoie »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 02:19:35 pm »

Apparently my character is "a bitter enemy of Honour" too
What sort of honourable person would randomly hit innocent Greater hell-beasts?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:30:50 pm by MagmaMcFry »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8