Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?  (Read 23194 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 05:47:52 pm »

Maybe it's because i'm on the ZAngbandTK variant from Omniband, i never played the vanilla Angband.

After looking at how to wizard mode+debug commands work
http://www.zangband.org/Docs/Debugging-Mode.aspx

I permanentely identified the thing, and still nothing, when i examin it "nothing special"

There's no option to eat it and worse i just noticed that no shops , even the blackmarket is buying it.
All i can seem to be able to do with it (other than dropping or destroying it) is to put it in my house in town.
I wonder if despite its ominous name, this is in fact simply a completely useless item

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »

This is a pretty decent guide to get you started.

Except for the fact, that the example character can't be created? I'm missing points, and i'm only getting 1.3 blows/turn instead of 4, which i'd think quiet a difference.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 06:07:10 pm »

Do you have maximize mode on?  What's your weapon?  You don't need to follow the guide to the letter, the big thing is just giving yourself enough strength and dexterity to get the most blows you can, and then picking a fast weapon, ideally with good dice but a whip will do you just fine.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 06:25:34 pm »

Maybe it's because i'm on the ZAngbandTK variant from Omniband, i never played the vanilla Angband.
ZangbandTK is very much not vanilla Angband :P Major, major differences.

Little bit of searching and from what I recall, some of the races in Zangband can eat corpses and there's possible a few things in the game that can reanimate them. I think there's a bounty function as well in one of the buildings, where you can turn in certain corpses for cash and maybe items.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »

Do you have maximize mode on?  What's your weapon?  You don't need to follow the guide to the letter, the big thing is just giving yourself enough strength and dexterity to get the most blows you can, and then picking a fast weapon, ideally with good dice but a whip will do you just fine.
You mean "maximize effect of race/class bonuses"? Yes.
But while the RB says +1 str, +3 dex and the CB +1 +4, the next screen then lists the respective bonuses as +1 +0 and +3 +1.
The most i can get is 2 blows/turn, leaving no points to spend on con or other stats.

Comparing my char to the guide is like looking at some cheatercharacter whose maker brags about how easy the game can be at low levels.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 06:36:27 pm »

I think you have to be equipped with a fast weapon to see the total BPR you will have...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 06:41:39 pm »

That guide is pretty old, I just created a character and you're right, you can't get three blows on a high elf ranger with those stats.

It's alright, 2 blows will do you okay, you've got ranged too.  A half orc warrior can get three blows easy but doesn't have range at least at the start.
Shoes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:45 pm »

ZangbandTK is very much not vanilla Angband :P Major, major differences.

Little bit of searching and from what I recall, some of the races in Zangband can eat corpses and there's possible a few things in the game that can reanimate them. I think there's a bounty function as well in one of the buildings, where you can turn in certain corpses for cash and maybe items.
I was not aware ZangbandTK was that different from Angband, it's been basically the only version of Angband i ever played through the year , will have to read more about it as so far the spoilers and guides i had read were vanilla :)
Thanks, i'll have to see if someone gives me some reward from this randomly found corpse at some point.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »

Isn't ZangbandTK just a graphical version of an older version of Zangband? There's Z+ now.

I can't really stand graphics in *bands. Portralis' default tileset was bearable.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 07:38:04 pm »

So completely unrelated to the discussion at hand, but ... The thread title sent me on a minor Tolkien-themed Wikipedia spree, and I noticed something that had been bothering me for a while without me knowing exactly what it was.

I recently started reading Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy, as the first book was recently published in my native language. Nearly every single name in it has been taken from Tolkien and minorly rearranged. And the ones that aren't, suck. Man, this is a let-down.

Other than that, carry on, thread! I love learning about roguelikes, even if I don't necessarily play them.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 07:45:53 pm »

Yeah, Angband's only kind of vestigially related to Tolkein though.  Like I mentioned, it's mostly cameos by various characters that you end up killing and while I'm not hugely familiar with Tolkein I feel like Angband is much higher magic than Middle Earth was.

Angband actually has my favorite font of all ASCII games.  So fucking crisp.  The actual graphics sets are probably some of the worst, though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:48:14 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 07:51:12 pm »

I find the default graphics set to be fully adequate. I've never seen a pretty tileset for a roguelike, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 07:52:54 pm »

I was not aware ZangbandTK was that different from Angband, it's been basically the only version of Angband i ever played through the year , will have to read more about it as so far the spoilers and guides i had read were vanilla :)
Thanks, i'll have to see if someone gives me some reward from this randomly found corpse at some point.
Hooo yeah, Zang's a pretty different beast compared to vanilla. A lot of the core gameplay is largely the same, but you've got a lot more moving parts -- more spells, more races, more artifacts, more monsters, a much, much more varied dungeon, an overworld and, iirc, quests of various sorts.

I find the default graphics set to be fully adequate. I've never seen a pretty tileset for a roguelike, though.
T4's OldRPG tileset, maan. I hear good things about that. Powder's is pretty alright too, I think.

... then I guess there's stuff like Dreadmor. It's pretty crisp.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 07:57:53 pm »

Dredmor's is detailed, but then the lack of variation disappoints because it leads you to expect it.
Angband's default gets the job done, from what I've seen: makes things understandable at a glance.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »

T4's OldRPG tileset, maan. I hear good things about that. Powder's is pretty alright too, I think.

Powder has the Dungeon Crawl look to it. That's why it looks so crisp. Plus, equipment showing up on your character is pretty rad.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8