Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?  (Read 23170 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:27 pm »

Angband has never had the forum presence of Crawl and that other roguelike.  There have been a couple threads but they didn't last long and neither of them had the traffic and experienced players posting that you got with the other threads.

That needs to change.

This is the Angband thread.  If you like branches, Macguffins, persistent levels, or winning a game the same day you start playing, turn back now. The best way to compare Angband to Nethack and Crawl is to think of them as a spectrum.  On one end is Nethack, which takes Player vs. Environment very literally.  Combat is simple, there aren't a huge number of items, and most of the challenge is in understanding the many, many ways the elements of the game can interact.  I like to think of Nethack as a very complicated puzzle game.  If you understand the game, it becomes difficult to lose.

Crawl is the middle ground.  There are much more items, more artifacts, random artifacts, levels are bigger, defence and resistances are more complex, combat's more robust, there's less "fuck you for using an unidentified item" in play, etc.

Angband takes those changes to the extreme.  There's 100 levels.  No branches.  Levels are not persistent, every time you use a staircase a new level is generated and the old level is gone forever.  There are 18 resistances to manage.  I don't know how many monsters there are but I'm guessing several hundred.  Later in the game there are many monsters that can swat you like a bug if you aren't ready for them (By D:40 you'll start seeing enemies that can one-shot you if you don't resist their breath, and the strongest dragons breathe unresisted for more hp than you will ever have).  All you have to do is get to level 100 and kill Morgoth. 

If it hasn't been made clear: Angband is very hard.  It's also kind of tedious.  There's a reason Crawl and Nethack are more popular.  But Angband is still lots of fun, and I think it has the best interface.  With something like 7 or 8 additional windows you can add and customizable settings for them (I have a window with the game screen, a window with my character sheet, a window with my inventory, and a window with a list of visible monsters on my game), you'll never have to worry about dying because you forgot you had an essential item (Actually, you will, but it won't be the game's fault).  It's also kind of relaxing, for some reason.  In some ways it reminds me more of Diablo than Nethack.  You delve as deep as you can (You want to dive1), then recall and sell your stuff, buy supplies, then recall back and keep diving.

This has been a long post, but I'd like to see a real Angband thread on these here forums.  Share your stories!  What's the deepest you've ever gotten?  I have a character at CL32 and DL35, but since I took a long hiatus I'm a little rusty with him and I've started a new guy who hasn't done anything yet.

1Unlike Nethack and Crawl, it is not a good idea to explore every level and then move on.  Value appreciates very quickly with depth - DL5 is about a hundred times more valuable than DL1 - and if you spend enough time in the dungeon something terrible will happen to you simply by virtue of statistics.  When that terrible thing happens, the character who piddled around on DL1 will die, while the character who dove will have the resources to survive.
Shoes...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angband - Are you a bad enough dude to kill Morgoth?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:05:22 pm »

I tried to get into Angband but I couldn't penetrate the interface. Are there any basic guides/introductions out there, or is it best to fiddle around until you find what you need?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:09:30 pm »

This is a pretty decent guide to get you started.
Shoes...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:43:43 pm »

Much love for Angband.

Favorite branches: Steamband, Z+Angband.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »

Oh, angband. I still have my character from a game that I started in... 2006? I think. A kobold warrior named Cabbage. Still haven't beat the game (and never will), but he hasn't died yet either!

It is a lot of fun, though I honestly haven't played that character for a while because I don't want him to die. I've got too attached.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:15:21 am »

I freaking love Angband! It's probably my favorite traditional roguelike. Especially all the variants. ToME, ZAngband and I can't remember but there is a new one that is really great too, based on the first age or something. Sangband maybe??

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:57:52 am »

I guess I'm not a bad enough dude, because *bands are probably my least favorite roguelikes.

The grind gets old real quick.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 02:05:23 am »

Unangband is my favorite. It has a lot of character to it.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:21:57 am »

I started with Moria and then moved to Angband before branching out. I do have a fond spot in my heart for Angband. I certainly enjoyed it more than Nethack. But pretty much gave up on it once I found ToME2.

Never beat Angaband. or Moria, for that matter. I remember losing a lot of characters to off-screen Ancient Multi-Hued Dragons.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:27:48 am »

I do prefer *bands to the other "likes", but will NEVER beat it.
This is a blank sig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 02:36:53 am »

I started with Moria and then moved to Angband before branching out. I do have a fond spot in my heart for Angband. I certainly enjoyed it more than Nethack. But pretty much gave up on it once I found ToME2.

Never beat Angaband. or Moria, for that matter. I remember losing a lot of characters to off-screen Ancient Multi-Hued Dragons.

They've changed it now, monsters can't breathe until the turn after you spot them.

I've beaten Nethack and Crawl.  While Nethack was my first, having played Crawl and Angband I just can't bring myself to enjoy Nethack anymore.  I'd say Crawl is the best of the three, it's the sweatervest of roguelikes.  All the best aspects of Angband and Nethack without their respective flaws.  I never played ToME2, but ToME3 was a lot of fun.
Shoes...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 03:18:01 am »

ToME3 was a lot of fun.

That's always good to hear. :) Which were your favorite modules?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:35 am »

Angband!

... I can't really stand playing vanilla Angband. I've actually beaten Furyband (Murdered Morgoth from around a corner >_>) and I think steamband (water naturalist cross-map artillery, yo'.), reached the end content of a few versions of Portralis and played the crap out of several other variants, but playing vanillia is just painful for me. I can't stand grinding (and suck too much to dive :P), the critters combinations aren't really interesting enough to me to bother with, and the dungeon is kinda' boring (especially comparatively, stacked up against stuff like the ToME line and variants like UnAngband). I've become addicted to stuff like Incursion and ToME4 where there's a lot of character expression right off the bat and the aesthetics are a bit... friskier. Angband still gets a helluva' nod. It's inspired a lot of good roguelike development.

I freaking love the terminal windows, though. Everything should have dockable terminal-style windows. No exceptions. All the things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 04:12:09 am »

PTW
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 04:42:36 am »

Angband still gets a helluva' nod. It's inspired a lot of good roguelike development.

Pretty much agree. It was good for its time, and a vast improvement over Moria, but the genre has evolved since then.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8