Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well... this is different.  (Read 3319 times)

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well... this is different.
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:49 am »

This is my first time posting here on the forums, but this was odd enough, I thought I just had to share.

I've been messing around with a new fortress. It's nothing special, or amazing; just something to teach myself to avoid a few bad habits, like waiting too long to set up quarters and driving my mayor into tantrums, or taking too long to fix up a hospital and well so when two of my miners got injured a cave-in in the middle of a siege, they don't die of thirst because nobody can get to the river for water to give the wounded a drink.

siiiiiiigh

But I digress.

Other than a few minor mishaps, nothing incredible has happened. There was that one siege that was driven off by an overuse of a drawbridge that either smashed the goblins, or sent them flying into the mountainside. Bonus points for one landing in the volcano's magma, though.

It's the year 131, I think six years after embark. I'm in the middle of getting my stone stockpiles rearranged more neatly, when a human caravan arrives. Hooray, I think, booze and fish and shiny things!

And then the... uh... 'diplomat' arrived.

That... seems a bit strange. I find him, and go into 'view'.

I think something has gone very, very wrong here.

The game is paused as I write this post. He's not hostile, but visitors with flashing names and icons have never been a good thing, so I'm scared of what will happen when he reaches the fortress. Just wanted to put this here in case things get very fun in the next few minutes.

It makes me wonder, though. What the hell kind of society do these humans have, where their diplomat is a god in the form of an eyeless humanoid gecko?
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Well... this is different.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 04:15:24 am »

That happens in legends. Demons often become human leaders, due to manipulation, bewareitspoisonousstinging or other things.

By which I mean, it's perfectly normal. Unless you see a dancing werewolf demon that spits fire which freezes everything and shits poison bars, play the game.

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:27:18 am »

I'd never seen it happen before, didn't even know it was possible. I'm jealous, though. I don't get any deities for myself. :<

Sadly, it was a bit anticlimactic. No screaming, or running in terror, or anything. He moved incredibly slowly, though -- I guess blind geckos aren't very good at walking. Even though he arrived closer than the caravan, the wagons still beat him to the entrance. I do wonder what would've happened if he would have run into the ambush that showed up after he went downstairs for the meeting. Would he have given them a godly beatdown, or would he have fled like a typical wimpy noble?
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:38:57 am »

It must be very large in size and/or low in agility - which is strange, because demons are usually pretty big and still faster than dwarves.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:11:38 am »

That happens in legends. Demons often become human leaders, due to manipulation, bewareitspoisonousstinging or other things.

By which I mean, it's perfectly normal. Unless you see a dancing werewolf demon that spits fire which freezes everything and shits poison bars, play the game.
But as he's called a deity, this one's a case of god impersonation. The humans mistook him for one of their gods and now he's coming as a diplomat to check out your fort. Pretty cool when you think of it from that direction.

The Fun from these situtaions was usually "oops, the demon diplomat knocked down buildings while coming over to have a meeting" or "oops, the diplomat instinctively spews ROT GAS unintentionally".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »

I do wonder what would've happened if he would have run into the ambush that showed up after he went downstairs for the meeting. Would he have given them a godly beatdown, or would he have fled like a typical wimpy noble?
The godly beatdown, actually. Once a threat comes into range, they revert to demonic monstrosity mode and tear whatever it is limb from limb. It can get pretty epic if they show up during a goblin siege and insist on turning every last gobbo into chunky salsa before sitting down and discussing how your two civs can best get along. They also tend to run down and murderize local wildlife if they think they're being given the stinkeye by the animals.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

Thats cool i cant wait to see my oun Deity Demon geco!
Oop's Wrong Lever!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »

Nice. "I'll give you 153% value for your goblin prisoners if you give me 153% value on goblin remains".  :P
I'd like to see that myself, someday.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »

Capture him (with cleverly placed drawbridges) and use him to fight your battles.

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 05:47:05 pm »

Capture him (with cleverly placed drawbridges) and use him to fight your battles.

Well, the next battle you're likely to see after he fails to return would be a siege from his civ, and he wouldn't fight that...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:21:20 pm »

If you keep a diplomat in captivity by not allowing him to move, the diplomat will just be 'visiting' and waiting to meet with your leader. His civ will not be angry at you and you can keep him there as long as you wish. Killing him, on the other hand...

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »

Won't he eventually go mad though? I know that happens with traders that get stuck...had to put down a few already.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »

Mad is fine as long as you keep him airlocked into a place he ca'n't escape from and shunt the enemies through it...
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »

1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:40:33 pm »

It must be very large in size and/or low in agility - which is strange, because demons are usually pretty big and still faster than dwarves.
chances are he will be burdended with heavy cloathes and human bone/nail jewelry
Pages: [1] 2