Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Collecting video game stuff  (Read 1553 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting video game stuff
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 04:53:40 am »

Does the stuff you're collecting have to be functional? I have a broken Atari2600 somewhere in my basement ;)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 06:52:34 am »

Does the stuff you're collecting have to be functional? I have a broken Atari2600 somewhere in my basement ;)

I doubt I could really do anything with a broken Atari, I suck at anything technical. :P Speaking of which, I'll probably need to learn a bit about the hardware of consoles so I can repair potential problems.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 12:47:56 pm »

So did you get a NES yet?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »

Hm, now I wonder if my old NES still works. Probably hasn't even been plugged in for 15 years. But the last time I did it was still fine, including both controllers, zapper gun, game genie and the few games I had.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »

I know my NES still works--it's how I play Zelda 1 when I feel like it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 04:43:02 pm »

The important thing to remember if you want an NES in particular is that really, outside of the pin connector and tray on the old one, or just the pin connector on the new one. There's a very, VERY high chance even if it doesn't SEEM to work that you have a fully functional system. There's no reason in particular to spend more than $30 on an NES if it's just the system on it's own. They're all likely to work, and if not and there's no visible damage or other problems (The power supply is one bit that's sometimes not taken care of well and can usually be replaced for 3-7 dollars.) then either bending the pins or replacing the connector SHOULD work.

Also try and get the new NES redesign if you can. It bypasses the 10nes chip since it caused reliability issues. Not to mention the removal of the tray gets rid of another possible point of failure.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 05:20:20 pm »

The 10NES is really easy to disable by cutting one of the pins. The top loader is mechanically more reliable, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 05:11:11 am »

It's pretty funny to think how many people still own an NES without realizing it, just keeping it boxed away in their basement or something. My first console was a Playstation 1, sadly never owned any cartridge based system. Unless you count Game Boy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 06:41:33 am »

For reals??! That old NES I have is worth that much?? Might be time to unload the attic....

I still have a ton of 5.25" floppies for my C128 as well, although I imagine the magnetic media has deteriorated to nothing by now.  :-\

Still have my Ultima III box, complete with cloth map and illustrated spellbooks. Man, I miss the days when games came with serious swag. I remember Moebius came complete with a poster of ninjas fighting, and a sweet black ninja headband. That I would totally wear while playing.  :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:44:08 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 07:16:37 am »

Yeah, a NES is worth about $60 on eBay, if it still has the box you can get a lot more, though. NES games and such have hugely inflated prices, though. People buy games and consoles for very little money at flea markets and similar then sell them online to earn money. I don't have a problem with that, but it does kind of suck when it's hard for me to do the same.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:40:09 am »

I still have a ton of 5.25" floppies for my C128 as well, although I imagine the magnetic media has deteriorated to nothing by now.  :-\

Still have my Ultima III box, complete with cloth map and illustrated spellbooks. Man, I miss the days when games came with serious swag. I remember Moebius came complete with a poster of ninjas fighting, and a sweet black ninja headband. That I would totally wear while playing.  :P

These are worth some serious cash, an so  is the Commodore if you still have that,
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 [2]