Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Totem Mafia 2 - Town Victory  (Read 46471 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia 2 - Vote Phase 1
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2013, 12:09:38 am »

Tiruin: So wait, your ability lets you change a person's vote, but if they change their vote, your ability fails? What if they change their vote, but change it back again before the day ends? Is this going to result in everybody popping in close to the end of the day to shift their votes back and forth just to make sure you don't twist their vote?

Also, how would scum figure out you were the one screwing with votes? Wouldn't you try to avoid that?
Believe me, its really hard to make it work for a vote switch. :/

Say, the day ends like ~5pm Pacific (-8GMT time) so the final vote count would be near that time - meaning I'd be controlling a person's vote right before the day end (if I choose to). I can swap a vote anytime during the day, but it (the swap) doesn't show up until the final vote count. I'm in the process of PM'ing Meph to clarify that part. If they change their vote after I've swapped it - nobody else knowing but me, of course - this cancels the effect.

So...yeah. This is me giving forewarning.

Also, how would scum figure out you were the one screwing with votes? Wouldn't you try to avoid that?
Fun thing is, I'd bet they won't also know as the vote swapping is purely due to my volition. It'll only show up at day end though.

Unvote

Tir:
Hapah: Why are you concerned about UI voting Vector during the RVS - what does that entail? Also, in a hypothetical situation where you'd have a choice between tracking or watching a player at night, what would you choose and why?
It's just the fact that he didn't press either on the question itself (which I viewed as weak), but he voted over Vector asking a similar question to one that had been asked already. It just seemed a little odd to me. Also, I'd pick the Track: seems like you'd be more likely to get information.
Err, "be more likely?" How, or what does that mean?

Ford
3. If they're on my team, then they're not on any other team.
So deception is...what now? What are you getting at Ford? I can't get the third one and how it relates to Vector's question.
Really? I think it's pretty straightforward. Their deceptiveness is exactly why I don't want them on anyone else's team.
So you're picking people just because they have that trait? So what would you do to catch those people - given that you seem adverse to their deceptiveness?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2013, 12:58:43 am »

Tir: I mean that if you track someone, they'll almost always go somewhere (unless they are blocked/have no abilities/whatever.) Watching seems like more of a crapshoot: The person you watch might not have any visitors.

Vector: I've gotta crash; I'll give you a reply when I get in late tomorrow.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2013, 09:25:06 am »

Dariush: How do you plan to win this game?
By finding and lynching scum, seeing their women burned down, their houses driven before you, et cetera, et cetera.

EBWOP:

Indistinct - no basis of any role, meaning that I'm betting most roles are a mixture of various sorts and traits ascribed to the animal submitted.
...I still have no idea how 'distinct' would be defined in this way. Aren't the animals serving as the bases in this case?

Speaking of which Dariush how are you going to go about finding scum in this game.
Why would I go about finding scum? Shouldn't I go towards finding scum? I'm not scum like you, after all, and thus am actually interested in finding them.

Hey, Dariush!  Scumbucket!  Did I scare you off?  You seem unusually quiet. . .
Yeah, your smell scared me off, ehhehe.

My sense of humor is on unseen before heights today, isn't it.

On a more serious note, do you prefer games where people have low 'power levels' like original Totem Mafia or higher, like, for example, BYORs? Why?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:03 pm »

On a more serious note, do you prefer games where people have low 'power levels' like original Totem Mafia or higher, like, for example, BYORs? Why?

Really low (mountainous or BM) or really high (BYOR).  The first one is the best behavioral game, and the second is full of crazy gut-eating randomness with all the power roles going off.  I enjoy the tension of both.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:24 pm »

PFP

Leafsnail:
So they were different ... but also the same. Noted.
What does the note suggest about UI's alignment?
That he's FoS. At the time, I just didn't want to start an argument over semantics (I'd rather swallow a rusty nail).

But I also didn't realize he was calling it out as a scumtell until Vector responded to it. It just didn't strike me as plagiarism.

And now I'm finding it odd that Vector claimed it was intentional.

Toaster:
Ford:  Do you find Tiruin's ability scummy?
Not exactly. I got the impression that Meph wrote up our abilities before he rolled the scumteam.

But I don't think he's telling us everything about it, and I want to know why.

Tiruin: Your ability sounds oddly-worded and confusing.

Personally, I'm curious why you told us about your ability's weakness. Doesn't that make it harder for you to use it to town's advantage now that scum know how to break it? Why would you tell us that part?

Fun thing is, I'd bet they won't also know as the vote swapping is purely due to my volition. It'll only show up at day end though.
Nice dodge. You previously worried about being found out by scum. I was asking you to explain why. See this:

This would also be turned by scum- though they would also have to check on who is the vote switcher.
This is what I was referring to when I asked that question. You seem to be saying that if you kept your ability a secret, then scum would use your manipulative actions as evidence against you -- but how would they know you had it if you kept it a secret?

If I'd have kept it a secret...I'm not pretty sure how that would help my case, its has very specific conditions to match to be able to work.
Based on what you've said so far, revealing it has made it harder to use, not easier. Are you saying it has other conditions you haven't told us about yet?

So you're picking people just because they have that trait?
No. I gave several reasons for each one of my picks. I would have commented on their scumhunting ability, but the only one of them I can vouch for on that is Vector, who nailed NQT in Mafia and Masons and Hackers. Toaster didn't catch anyone in that game, and Leafsnail was running it. I also played with Toaster in the last paranormal, but in that game Toaster was a dopp.

I didn't pick you because I still don't really understand you.

So what would you do to catch those people - given that you seem adverse to their deceptiveness?
Like right here ... is this a tangent? Is this still in the context of the hypothetical scenario where I get to pick my teammates? Or are you asking me how I'm going to get reads on them in the course of this game?

Also, I think you're misusing the word 'adverse'. I think the word you're looking for is "averse" and actually that's the opposite of what I was saying.

But yes, since I don't get to have a bunch of masonbuddies, I do have to deal with their deceptive traits, just like I have to deal with yours. I'll deal with them the same way I deal with yours: Stick a knife in you and see how you bleed.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »

Why would I go about finding scum? Shouldn't I go towards finding scum? I'm not scum like you, after all, and thus am actually interested in finding them.
This is a major question dodge.  It's fair enough if you don't recognize the sentence construction I used ("How would you go about doing x" means "By what method would you achieve x"), but I think you understood the general thrust of the question ("How are you intending to find scum") and avoided it.

That he's FoS. At the time, I just didn't want to start an argument over semantics (I'd rather swallow a rusty nail).

But I also didn't realize he was calling it out as a scumtell until Vector responded to it. It just didn't strike me as plagiarism.

And now I'm finding it odd that Vector claimed it was intentional.
Doesn't an FoS imply a scumtell?  If so why did it go down as an FoS if you thought it was just a matter of semantics?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:45 pm »

I wondered if that would cause confusion.

FoS = Full of S***
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2013, 10:10:54 pm »

Indeed. . . these are all fair assessments, but there is something interesting here.  Why are so many of the talents you've outlined for your team-members deceptive, Captain Ford?
Three reasons:
1. Deathsword didn't specify which team I was picking for.
2. The ability to not get lynched is valuable no matter what team you're on.
3. If they're on my team, then they're not on any other team.

You're picking for your team.  I'm not exactly sure how this isn't specific, unless you're unsure of your alignment.  Is that the case?

Do you think it's necessary to be deceptive to avoid lynching, regardless of alignment?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:56 am »

FoS = Full of S***
I thought you were talking about how we name people in blue? That's short for Finger of Suspicion...

Also, wow. That's quite a shift in attitude...

Tiruin: Your ability sounds oddly-worded and confusing.

Personally, I'm curious why you told us about your ability's weakness. Doesn't that make it harder for you to use it to town's advantage now that scum know how to break it? Why would you tell us that part?
Blame the mod, I just re-worded it so it won't match verbatim but there's the gist of it. And no, I've asked Meph and its purely on my choice whether to use it or not - I'm telling everything because I'd like to warn people ahead if in case any vote shenanigans pops up.

Why are you so concerned about a vote-shifter?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I misspell a lot of words (meaning I usually go with the nearest spelling to the meaning in my mind), thanks for the size 8 correction :/

Anyway, in order of descending statements I'll address these all.
> Where did I say I was worried? The power fully rests in my hands when it'll be used, and when. Nothing can change that and I'm pretty sure there is no power in the whole Mafia board that shifts a shifter's vote, or forces it. Or messes up a player's PM, which would then go against Forum rules (:P)
>
You seem to be saying that if you kept your ability a secret, then scum would use your manipulative actions as evidence against you -- but how would they know you had it if you kept it a secret?
Good point. But the reason behind me stating it in the open is for less confusion later on.
> No other conditions. I was talking about how the vote-switch works by "specific". I'm confused on how I say it makes it somewhat harder to use though...Clarify?
> I was a viable choice? Only problem was understanding? What do you see in me then?
> Yes that was still in the hypothetical scenario. It was about reads given they have the [DECEPTIVE] trait as you said.
> I don't get that metaphor about knives [or, really. I don't get that metaphor at all. How does seeing someone bleed help?]

PPE: Vector.

PFP

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2013, 01:16:07 am »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2013, 01:18:48 am »

I had the reply tab open for quite some time...That was just me signifying your reply before that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2013, 02:34:59 am »

Leafsnail:
Tiruin: Doesn't your definition of indistinct basically cover any BYOR ever?

Dariush: How do you plan to win this game?
What are you trying to achieve with these questions?
My question for Tiruin was for clarification, as his original question made this game sound like some special thing that was totally not a regular BYOR at all.

My question to Dariush was bait for scum to jump on without thinking (because .

Toaster:
UI:  How does passivity at RVS improve your chances of helping the town?
It really doesn't, but I have no idea what to do when I don't have any leads.

Captain Ford: Taking a question and adding a condition to it does not suddenly make it a new and original question.

Tiruin:
FoS = Full of S***
I thought you were talking about how we name people in blue? That's short for Finger of Suspicion...

Also, wow. That's quite a shift in attitude...
How so? He made it pretty clear that he thought I was contradicting myself earlier.

Extend. I'm probably not going to be able to post again before Monday. Don't you love it when a professor schedules exams for two different courses on the same day?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2013, 02:47:57 am »

My question to Dariush was bait for scum to jump on without thinking (because .

Would you, uh, care to finish that thought?  Also, I think that doesn't cover all of the questions you asked. . .

Extend.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2013, 02:54:02 am »

Because at a glance it would look like rolefishing.

And what did I miss? Leafsnail quoted two questions and four statements/answers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2013, 02:56:46 am »

Oh, whoops.  I'm sorry about that--there's been a lot of those lists and questions about them flying around recently, and I misremembered one for another.  My bad.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30