Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Totem Mafia 2 - Town Victory  (Read 44717 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Totem Mafia 2 - Sign-ups! [7/16]
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:03 pm »

Of course. That's just how you work. You ignore everything that contradicts you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »

hapah did pretty well starting in non bms and then did bms. pfp

though i do think doing abm is better esp w nonstandard roles.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:34 pm »

NQT also played in a BM before he joined that game. He was NKed Night 1. But he also was fairly competent to begin with.

Hmm ... I'm In. I'll send my animal(s) in shortly.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 01:56:57 pm »

(Am I the gold standard for BM-less newbies? wtf)

SilverDragon: Meph asked the right question; a lot of it depends on how much experience you've got. And it is definitely worth noting that forum Mafia is a much different beast than sitting-around-a-campfire Mafia, as I'm sure a few people here can attest. I got my start in the StarCraft II "Mafia" map, and I had a few habits to break and a few things to learn once I started playing here.

If you haven't really played Mafia like this before, I would definitely suggest the Beginner's Mafia. It lets you find your legs and see how you like the game (and the fact that it needs two replacements doesn't hurt!) I played a few (two?) after my first real game just to get a little more polish, and I don't regret it.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »

You've got this backwards. Firstly, if he gets quicklynched on D1, do you really think he'll care to join a BM instead of just ragequitting? If so, he'll be the first. In my two-anna-half years here I don't recall a single person to go to a BM after playing a real game. Secondly, just because he's 1/16 doesn't mean anything. Whichever team he happens to be on will be at a disadvantage after he gets lynched. What would be the point of that? A wasted day, sure, and not much else.
NQT outlasted you and also correctly shot a mason

please do this every sign-ups

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 02:21:42 pm »

I'll just create a new alt for every game.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 03:32:08 pm »

In my two-anna-half years here I don't recall a single person to go to a BM after playing a real game.

Ottofar.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 07:56:57 pm »

Hell, Toonyman as well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toony was around before BMs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 08:53:31 pm »

Yes, but he went and played in BM1 anyway, and I don't think it was as an IC.  Org did also.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 10:35:32 pm »

So... then I don't count? Because I know I'm awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 10:47:28 pm »

I was counting you as a playing IC =)  There's no way I'd forget that experience, you know.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 11:28:24 pm »

Yes, but he went and played in BM1 anyway, and I don't think it was as an IC.  Org did also.
Don't remind me of my highly unsystematic past self.  I left the gates of emoticon and poor formatting hell long, long ago.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 01:06:33 am »

(Am I the gold standard for BM-less newbies? wtf)

SilverDragon: Meph asked the right question; a lot of it depends on how much experience you've got. And it is definitely worth noting that forum Mafia is a much different beast than sitting-around-a-campfire Mafia, as I'm sure a few people here can attest. I got my start in the StarCraft II "Mafia" map, and I had a few habits to break and a few things to learn once I started playing here.

If you haven't really played Mafia like this before, I would definitely suggest the Beginner's Mafia. It lets you find your legs and see how you like the game (and the fact that it needs two replacements doesn't hurt!) I played a few (two?) after my first real game just to get a little more polish, and I don't regret it.

I played werewolf a few times, and read about this and found it fairly similar enough. And really, what's this deal with making people play BM's first? Maybe I just wanted to start instead of being told how to play, or what to do.
In!

Whats a Bm?
Oh, Beginner Mafia game! I'd prefer to go straight into a game with no hand holding, thank you. :D
Your name sounds familiar, ever played a forum Mafia game before?
No, I haven't even been to this subsection since a day or two ago.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 01:32:45 am »

Well, let me put it this way: these games are collaborative, and the quality of the game is as high as the quality of the players; you're always part of a team.  So usually "do whatever I want and go crazy" play is looked down upon, much in the way it would be in most role-playing games.  In fact, this sort of is a role-playing game, where the story we're telling together is one of crazy intrigue and subterfuge.

Beginner's Mafia games are proving grounds where one can experiment, figure out what works and what doesn't work, whatever.  In general, folks who end up with the full dose right off the bat tend not to enjoy it very much.  The safer environment of playing with a lot of new folks who don't really know what they're doing means that they get a softer opening, are less likely to quit and thus require replacement, etc., etc.

And, more than that, BMs are not really full of hand-holding.  What they're lacking in is getting simultaneously dogpiled on day 1 by seven different people whose sole goal for the evening is to make you psychologically crack.  They're still rough, difficult, emotionally fraught games with plenty of clever schemes and plans.  The training wheels just help steer things away from the nastier situations and towards ones that are more fun for everyone, until you figure out how you want to deal with the predicaments in which you find yourself.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30