Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frostbite  (Read 3635 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Frostbite
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:49 am »

Hey modders, I just wanted to know if anyone knows anything ever done with a working frostbite weapon. Of any sort. A creature that causes death by frostbite, a pool of liquid, a breath attack... because I dont get it. Whenever I try to implement it, it does not kill. Do targets need to be naked/not-fully clothed?

I guess what I am asking for: Does anyone have a working set of raws that kill by frostbite ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:21 pm »

challenge accepted  8)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »

I know that I've seen some around, though I don't remember where. I do remember that frost takes much longer to harm as opposed to heat, so the basic method instead of just breathing a really cold gas needs the material to condense on the enemy to prolong the exposure to the cold IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:40:05 pm »

Check white dragon in Genesis Reborn.

Its breath covers enemy in cold extract which makes it freeze to death over time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:14:23 pm »

Frostskald
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I learned since that  [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL][COLDDAM_POINT:NONE] isn't caste level, and it didn't help this poor guy too much anyway, you will see, so be ware of that.  I wonder, if frostbite for living things is different from regular cold damage that materials suffer.

Freezer Material

Arena testing
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:30:01 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »

You get 20 "you are freezing to death" messages, before anything really happens?  :o This is exactly what I dont get about that feature, if you are frozen solid, you should be dead instantly. ^^

But looks like you want to add your own icemage-something to Orc Fortress. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »

Oh, you are changing the parameters now! you said frostbite, not instant death ^^

I dunno, I just needed a test mage, don't neccesarily read anything into that :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:54:09 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 02:40:00 pm »

Well, I want to kill things with frostbite. ^^ I have a go myself... some day... in the future. Now I want to explore a cave.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 02:54:20 pm »

Well, I want to kill things with frostbite. ^^ I have a go myself... some day... in the future. Now I want to explore a cave.

The orc died!  The tapir died by sword though, i thought it was already dead and stumbled into it after my eyes froze.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 03:07:51 pm »

You get 20 "you are freezing to death" messages, before anything really happens?  :o This is exactly what I dont get about that feature, if you are frozen solid, you should be dead instantly. ^^
You get just as many "Burning to death" messages when caught in fire. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »

I have never seen a "burning to death" message... the dwarves simply die, and 2 days later you notice that there is a fire in the fort :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »

The message is "you are melting!"
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »

I assume you only ever see it in adv mode? ^^

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »

Frostskald 2.0
* A combination of spells that apply both liquid Water and Freezing-fluid seem to be deadly more quickly than just Freezing-fluid alone.
* [HOMEOTHERM:10000][FIXED_TEMP:10000] for caste level self immunity

Arena
That is an explosion of ice vapor formed when the two liquids mix, seems pretty deadly but not quite an instant kill like if it were a solid block of ice.  But if he were standing in water it might be an instant kill.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:32:03 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 04:43:24 pm »

Can you spawn some water, maybe 2-3 deep, and have a frostskald in it? I only ever managed a 3x3 field of solid ice, but maybe you can freeze everything within the ice vapor of yours.

I am thinking of my frost landmines of course... and a possibly frost turret... using frost giants corpses. ;)

And: Great work. :)
Pages: [1] 2