Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damn vamps.  (Read 2876 times)

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn vamps.
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:02:52 am »

So, I found the dwarf that was killing my other dwarfs. Instead of locking him in a room I decided to chain him into a cell so all the other dwarves can admire the fact that the sheriff is doing her job.

Then to reward my wisdom my dwarves go and elect the jailed vamp as my mayor............. :o

This ever happen to anyone else? I'm just curious.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Damn vamps.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11:31 am »

Vampires live for a LONG time.  They have incredible social skills as a result, and are almost always elected to mayor.  In fact, a legitimate way to check for vampires is to periodically look at your mayor.

However, if this mayor enjoys simple things like stone mugs and battle axes, keep him!  It's better than a duchess who enjoys adamantine earrings and dragonfly bone amulets.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:32 am »

I also saw a suggestion recently to make a chained or walled-in vamp your manager. Locked away with nothing to do makes them highly effective. Haven't tried this yet. But I just found my current fort's sneaky killer, so we'll see what happens.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:56:05 am »

Totally normal. In one of my forts, I recently had a vampire king arrive at my fort. When I checked his "z" screen, I found out he had 6,000 kills before joining the fortress. I also never had any goblin ambushes or sieges. I think the vampire king killed them all during worldgen!!!

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »

My King arrived recently and he's an old guy (130)...and a Goblin! Slightly ridiculous having a Goblin king given that I've slaughtered hundreds of the little green gits, I'm doubly tempted to bump him off with a tragic cave-in since the game randomly won't let me assign him a bed/office/tomb or anything :\

-

Anyway, regarding Vampires, I haven't had a Vamp king before, but I hear it's quite common. I've had a bizarre experience with Vamps and the law though. A previous Fort found a Vampire guilty of murder and the Hammerer smashed him up really badly for his "death sentence".

However, he was able to survive with horrific injuries (ruined lungs that would kill a mortal, that sort of thing), and so spent the rest of eternity lying in a bed actually being nursed by my idiot Doctors (who for some reason didn't associate lack of breathing with being a member of the Undead). I think he died of an infection of the end, which is a rather damning indictment of Dwarven medicine :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »

Funny, another thread is asking how to train doctors.  Apparently toss a vamp off a roof.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »

Funny, another thread is asking how to train doctors.  Apparently toss a vamp off a roof.

Lol, that's true actually. Just really smash up a Vampire and you have one less murderer in the fort plus with Soap you'll have a dummy for your doctors to study for thousands of years!

(I must admit, the notion of keeping a Vamp alive like that strikes even my cruellest Overseer tendencies as cold and callous. So naturally I'll have to try it one embark...)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:22 pm »

Anyway, regarding Vampires, I haven't had a Vamp king before, but I hear it's quite common. I've had a bizarre experience with Vamps and the law though. A previous Fort found a Vampire guilty of murder and the Hammerer smashed him up really badly for his "death sentence".

However, he was able to survive with horrific injuries (ruined lungs that would kill a mortal, that sort of thing), and so spent the rest of eternity lying in a bed actually being nursed by my idiot Doctors (who for some reason didn't associate lack of breathing with being a member of the Undead). I think he died of an infection of the end, which is a rather damning indictment of Dwarven medicine :P

I had this exact experience with my Vampire King, right down to the death by infection (even though I did have soap). He had pages and pages of injuries and treatments, and my medical team got lots of training. But I cheated and save-scummed to bring him back. Now, whenever he eats someone, I wrongly convict a useless peasant to serve out the sentence in his place. ;)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:15 pm »

Now I really want a vampire to batter and serve as a doctor's training dummy.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »

Now I really want a vampire to batter and serve

mmm, deep fried battered vampire :)

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »

After my first vampire (who killed off 2 dwarves before I could track him down), I've taken to screening all migrants for possible vampires. If I find one, I immediately draft one and station them in a room with a locked door which leads to the outside of my fortress.

I first did this after hearing about the vampires supposedly amazing battle prowess, so I thought that they'd perhaps be viable as first line defence during a siege or ambush.

Turns out it didn't work that way, the first vamp I tried this on died without landing a single blow on a goblin. I still do it this way though, feels like a decent punishment for their filthy nature. And it's easier than casting them in obsidian.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »

I just realised that what we consider to be a good idea, i.e., smashing up a vampire for doctors to practise on for the next thousand years, would actually be considered horrific or extremely cruel outside of Bay12...

Anyway, I usually punish my vampires by sticking them in a danger room full of puppies. Basically, on one tile suspended above the danger room, I tie a female dog to produce more dogs. Because creatures randomly lash out at other creatures sharing their tile, the puppies will gradually spill over the edges of the pillar, and be shredded by wooden sticks that repeatedly poke the bloodsucker. All this is run from some levers in my main hall set to repeat.
Another option is viewing windows, so that dwarves can see the vampire dwarf get tortured by endless puppy blood spatters and wooden sticks. The downside is if the vamp goes insane, he may smash the windows and attack the viewers, resulting in lots of job-cancellation spam and an unstoppably skilled vampire running around your fortress.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:28 pm »

However, if this mayor enjoys simple things like stone mugs and battle axes, keep him!  It's better than a duchess who enjoys adamantine earrings and dragonfly bone amulets.

Naw, this guy hates for me to sell amulets and since I'm building rock trade goods at the moment I think its time for some science. :)

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:37 pm »

My King arrived recently and he's an old guy (130)...and a Goblin! Slightly ridiculous having a Goblin king given that I've slaughtered hundreds of the little green gits, I'm doubly tempted to bump him off with a tragic cave-in since the game randomly won't let me assign him a bed/office/tomb or anything :\

-

Well Goblins aren't really that little, since they're taller than dwarfs and (I think)humans.  If you're doubly unlucky you might get a goblin who is also a vampire.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 11:48:45 pm »

Speaking of vampire mayors, I had locked my vampire in a room where I forced her to work as my bookkeeper, to produce her own damn furniture, and she was soon enough elected mayor despite having zero contact with anyone for months prior.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2