Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm back to Dwarf Fortress. Now what?  (Read 1085 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm back to Dwarf Fortress. Now what?
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:54:09 am »

So last year I downloaded the lazy newb pack and stuff with phoebus etc. I then taught myself how to play dwarf fortress or at least how to take care of myself a little. I could possibly live for one year alone but I didn't learn that much. And then I stopped playing. Today I found my Dwarf Fortress folder again and want to start playing again but I don't know what now. I want to play the latest version, but I'm still technically a newbie even though I know the basic stuff. So I want to get the newest version of Lazy Newb Pack with Phoebus and DFTherapist.
So can anyone tell me what to download and can some kind soul please tell me all the features added to the game since the one I played (the June 2012 one)? :) thanks.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back to Dwarf Fortress. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:08:47 am »

I say you do it the way a real man does it, and play the game vanilla. Learn everything there is to running a fort successfully in a clean game, and defending against attacks. It's a rather steep learning curve to do it all the good old fashioned way, but it's worth it. I personally, in about a year of on and off playing, used any mods or hacks (other than DFhack to fix a couple of performance issues)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:11:30 am »

I don't really use hacks. I just use the Phoebus Graphics and occasionally Dwarf Therapist when the fort gets too big. Also what new features have been added after June 2012?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:27 am »

There are no new versions since june last year...

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:20:21 am »

Well, there are updates atleast. What are the new features that the updates added? Like I heard something about climbing, stealth etc.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:25:51 am »

I don't really use hacks. I just use the Phoebus Graphics and occasionally Dwarf Therapist when the fort gets too big. Also what new features have been added after June 2012?

DwarfTheRapist is rather useful once it gets large... I don't count that as a hack though, just a useful tool. I managed to learn everything from either blood, sweat, tears, horrible deaths, and magma, or from the wiki. Once you get the basics sorted though, you won't be likely to give up so easily
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:31:53 am »

I get all that but can someone please GODDAMN tell me the new features that have been added?????????????!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:48:06 am »

There are no new features yet. The next update has a lot of stuff coming.
The list opens up with [multi-tile] trees; then goes on to new sites for elf, gobos and dorfs; new fort retirement system
Super late edit:
- Fruits and leaves are now a thing
- Climbing  :o
- Combat is getting a speed related overhaul (speed is now divided to movement speed and attack speed)
Quoting myself seems uncool, but I ain't gonna re write that...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:07:14 am »

I get all that but can someone please GODDAMN tell me the new features that have been added?????????????!
none.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:55 am »

Get familiar with software release cycles and how DF's particular cycle works. "Updates" are Toady talking about stuff he's added to his development version. None of it matters to ordinary users until he does a "Release Build" - i.e. he needs to finish his work and then package it up before we can play with the new stuff he's added.

DF spends months at a time being in "dev mode", then there's a few months of "fix issues mode" before going back to "dev mode". On the other hand, mods keep getting updated while we're in "dev mode" so technically there is more to play with now - just that you need to go to mods for it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:43:49 am by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:08:50 am »

More specifically, DF goes into some 8-12 months of pure development, before hitting 1-2 months of rapid releases, where Toady pushes out hotfixes for newly discovered bugs or tweaks the balancing on particular items.  Once a release has become stable, then it goes dormant for another 8-12 months and builds up more mass for another release surge.

Given the timing, we're no doubt on the down swing of the cycle, and close to a release binge.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 09:50:00 am »

what new features have been added after June 2012?
I just wanted to post a link to this page of the wiki, which might help clarify. The last major version release was feb 2012, 0.34.01. That was the start of the last "release binge". That period ended in June 2012 with the latest version, 0.34.11. There have been no new releases since then. Climbing, etc, is all in the next release, whenever that ends up being. If you want to know more about any release in the 0.34.x series, that page is a good one. From there you can change to the previous "release binge", 0.31.25, at the top of the page, if that's interesting for you.