Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombox - open world, top-down, zombie sandbox  (Read 6467 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombox - open world, top-down, zombie sandbox
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »

I see a thread for this doesn't exist here already, so let's get the ball rolling!

http://www.zombox.net/

It's a 3D, stylized, survival and crafting game with deceptively cute graphics. Gory, but cute. The developer - one man, Tyson Ibele - is aiming to release it on iOS, and hopefully Steam and Android too. Development has been steadily progressing since 2011, and recently it's looking to be approaching a releasable- or at least beta state. No word on any plans as of yet, though.

Gameplay Video

A bit arcadey, and not as serious as its genre peers, it nevertheless ticks all the boxes required of any good survival sandbox game: freely explorable procedurally generated open world, destructable buildings, day/night cycle, weather, scavenging for supplies (breaking down or lockpicking doors if you have to), fending off zombies that are attracted by noise and also by the smell of blood (if you get a bleeding wound), crafting items into tools/weapons/equipment, many types of zombies (including zombified animals), hunger management, building and fortifying structures/encampments, etc, etc, etc.

There's also a currency and upgrades system. When you kill zombies, they drop coins which can be spent towards character upgrades. There's a bit more focus here on going out and killing zombies, rather than running and hiding from them, so that you can upgrade your character.

Building animation

There's a lot I'm missing... I don't know why I chose to start writing this at 2am (holy shit, I didn't realise it was THAT late). Eh, this'll do for now. Go check it out if you want to learn more. :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:12:49 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombox - open world, top-down, zombie sandbox
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »

Looks sweet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »

Needs multiplayer.
Needs singleplayer.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:31:27 pm »

This looks interesting
Make love not war

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »

Looks nifty.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:29:05 pm »

Latest dev updates report that the cities are no longer going to be pseudo-random, but instead have a fully procedurally generated layout. Personally, I think it's a big step in the right direction, and I'm glad he dropped the idea of only randomising the building interiors.

There's also been some new features developed, including (oddly enough) vending machines and... slot machines? Huh. Can't say I understand the purpose of gambling in the zombie apocalypse, but perhaps money will be more important here than in other games of this type.

Lockpicking has also been expanded into a fullblown minigame, a la the Thief or Elder Scrolls games. Previously, it was simply a matter of clicking 'unlock' on a door and waiting. Now it's a (suprisingly authentic) simulation of how real tumbler locks work, and I daresay it looks better implemented than either of the aforementioned series. Demo gif: http://www.zombox.net/stuff/zombox_cap_100.gif

These updates suggest he's pushing to add more interactiveness to the gameplay. I certainly approve of that. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.