Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Curious Underground Structure" found  (Read 3717 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: "Curious Underground Structure" found
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:22:04 am »

Uh....why? It's just a sword dude, and the animalpeople zombies aren't that strong.

SURELY the mysterious glowing forcefield over the descending stairwell carved out of undestructible rock is a major clue about the nature of the curiously placed instrument... and if that wasn't enough, perhaps the interesting description pages you make mention of might give further insight into the nature of said implement, and why it was so curiously installed in such a curious underground structure to begin with, no?

It seems kinda prudent to make a substitute for said forcefield, if by some cosmic joke, the removal of said artifact would in some fashion break said seal, and release some ancient and unspeakable horror, don't you think?

Setting up a means to descend that stair at your leisure, after careful preparation, seems much more reasonable than just grabbing shiny things willy nilly, or rushing in where angels fear to tread, does it not?

Which is more amusing?  Dunderheadedly throwing the self destruct lever trying to open the drawbridge, or noting that your predecessor had installed such a feature, and clandestinely sabotaging his wicked scheme, causing it to backfire for him when he tries to pull it himself?

Personally, I prefer to roll with the latter, if only to see Mr Big and Scary get egg on his face before he feeds me to his pet eldritch horror.

Who knows! My attemps at sabotage might result in epic unfortunate consequences! Hilarity could ensue!  Why deny yourself the experience?

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 03:54:50 am »

SURELY the mysterious glowing forcefield over the descending stairwell carved out of undestructible rock is a major clue about the nature of the curiously placed instrument...

Personally, "Dig Here!" would have been easier to type...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:16:45 pm by Maw »
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:19 am »

Do (not) press the big, glowing red button that says "DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON".

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 07:37:17 am »

What happens to you come to the thing in adventure mode? can you retrieve your ticket?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 07:46:04 am »

What happens to you come to the thing in adventure mode? can you retrieve your ticket?
Yes we can.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 01:49:59 pm »

that sword does need to be grabbed it's a once in several hundred forts opportunity
Maybe if you play small sites and don't care about finding one. But they are pretty easy to find if you ease your other requirements -- pick a square, make 8x8 sites until you narrow down the location of the structure, and then decide whether the rest of the map makes it worth embarking over.

Now, a site with a cave, a structure, and two underground passages... that's unusual. I stumbled on one once, but it would have required an 8x8 site for my dwarves to walk straight from the wagon to the sword.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »

I resent that. I am not skeevy. I am malevolent.

Regardless of how you'd describe yourself Slime that sword does need to be grabbed it's a once in several hundred forts opportunity don't waste it DarkStar.
And don't the circus ticket swords give superpowers to the dwarf that retrieves them?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

No.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 07:58:05 pm »

The sword is your ticket to HFS Inc., where all the Fun is made.
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:30 pm »

No.
I mean, death-related superpowers.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 07:14:30 pm »

^ Only if you mean the superpower of death, as in the ability to die in a super way. If so, yes, and what a glorious power it is indeed.
((IE. You'll see why people are scared of clowns))

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 07:32:51 pm »

^ Only if you mean the superpower of death, as in the ability to die in a super way. If so, yes, and what a glorious power it is indeed.

I've actually seen why people dislike clowns a lot, and they are why migrants from former fortresses have horrible physical and mental scars.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:39 pm »

No.
I mean, death-related superpowers.
No. >:|
>:(

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 02:27:28 am »

I'm... not sure how that reply was meant.
However, as I gather it, whether YOU gain a super slicing dicing machine that could be considered a super power, or get sliced in a super powered way, all depends on whether you have trained the right skills when you claim your ticket.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3