Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Curious Underground Structure" found  (Read 3712 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Curious Underground Structure" found
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »

On my current fort, I got a report when mining of a "curious underground structure", and you'll know what that is if you've found one. My fort is only a year and a half old, and I don't really have a good military yet. Should I try to attack it after some preparation, or are they not worth it?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: "Curious Underground Structure" found
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:39 pm »

It's just the ticket booth to the circus. Usually has a bunch of carnival geeks inside jonesing to eat brains of the living.

The greatest show on earth doesn't start until you take the carnival ticket. The ticketbooth has unusual reanimating powers though, from what I recall.  It can be useful as a target practice range by dumping some clamshells or wool into some pits inside it, then training marksdwarves and the like.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:22:09 pm »

How often does one get to go visit clown College? I think you should prepare your foolish brave Dwarves for the inevitable !!FUN!!.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »

You can go kill them if you like just to get rid of the units and the miasma (if applicable). Bear in mind that undead are tough and strong, and dwarves are very unhappy about getting attacked by them. Even if your military do all come out alive, you might need to make an effort to improve their mood afterwards. And don't forget to check the forbid orders beforehand.

You can also leave them to roam, thinning them out somewhat, and place (forbidden!) cage traps in the hope of instantly taking some out.

I don't recall structures having special reanimating powers though...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35:23 pm »

I just recall vague discussions about reanimation around curious structures. It might have been a planned addition, or just idle conversation... having never gotten one, (I tend to play the same embark site until FPS death, rather than actively seeking FUN out for FUNs sake, so I have only gotten clowns through candycanes. )

Regardless, once you take care of the carnival geeks, the structure is pretty boring until you claim the free circus ticket.

It's nailed down, so you have to deconstruct the ticket stand to get it.

Then the show starts.

With some planning, I understand you can control the release quite effectively.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:31 pm »

In the interactions section of the raws there is a reanimation interaction for "the special zombies underground". I'm not sure if it has been implemented, but it sure is there.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »

As far as I can tell from personal experience there is no reanimation around the structure.

As for claiming the prize within the structure, a year and a half might be a little young.  You can try and expose the area and have many of the zombies wander off to try an thin the herd, but it is up to you.  Just be wary of what kind of zombies you get.  I had mostly hooved beasties and they tore apart my first two attempts.  I found a warpet bomb most effective at distracting the horde, but then again I was able to pen the zombies in because of the geography of my structure and a quick cave in.

As for the clowns below, I found great success with a winding path liberally coated with GCS webs and traps with marksdwarf accompaniment.  Just make sure you use firesafe or even magma safe materials.  You will probably also want to wait a bit and train your military a bit.

As for the worth it part, The only real reward is cutting down on zombie/clown FPS drain and a single masterwork candy weapon.  And a ton of clowns/clown corpses to play with.  And a ton of critters in your dead/missing list.  And glory/death.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:01 pm »

There's a masterwork sword at the middle of the structure, make sure you get it as soon as possible, as it is a great help in killing off the undead infesting the structure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:20 pm »

No no no... that's not nice at all!

If you do that, be sure to put a bunch of walls and a closable drawbridge around the strangely glowing floor first, and that the bridge is raised.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »

Uh....why? It's just a sword dude, and the animalpeople zombies aren't that strong.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:57 pm »

There's a masterwork sword at the middle of the structure, make sure you get it as soon as possible, as it is a great help in killing off the undead infesting the structure.

I don't really need it in my fort, I have a legendary weaponsmith and access to a 40-50 z level candy vein/spire.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:17:04 pm »

I don't really need it in my fort, I have a legendary weaponsmith and access to a 40-50 z level candy vein/spire.
You really should get it all the same. They have very interesting descriptions.
No Gods, No Masters.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:43 pm »

Having gotten into Dungeons and Dragons recently, you'll see the cliches coming.  Like the skeevy adviser is asking you to retrieve a powerful artifact for no reason in particular.  You know it's a trap.  You know he's gonna use the artifact and kill the king and imprison you.  You've seen it dozens of times and you know how this goes.  But what are you gonna do?  Just stand up and say, "No, I refuse this quest" and leave the table?  You just gotta ask yourself, "Well, didn't I come to play DnD?"

You've found a curious structure.  You know it's evil.  You know it's trapped.  You know you're going to die.  But didn't you come here to play DF in the first place?  What are you expecting to happen?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:38:36 pm »

I resent that. I am not skeevy. I am malevolent.
No Gods, No Masters.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 11:47:06 pm »

I resent that. I am not skeevy. I am malevolent.

Regardless of how you'd describe yourself Slime that sword does need to be grabbed it's a once in several hundred forts opportunity don't waste it DarkStar.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,
Pages: [1] 2 3