Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demon extermination  (Read 2610 times)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon extermination
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:12:25 am »

I have a situation where three webbing coal demons are just sitting on my repeating upright menacing steel spike trap and slaughter any troops i send to kill them.

This is my trap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How would you kill them.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon extermination
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:22:49 am »

Cave in might be your best bet although you probably want to avoid dropping something on the table.  Are your spikes not damaging the clowns at all or are they just not moving forwards.

another option might be to dig another tunnel with a raising bridge at both ends to trap them.  If you do this you could even try to set up a clown-silk farm.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:05 am »

The spikes have chipped their whole body but can't kill them. And how do you collapse the ceiling on a one wide hallway.

Mchccjg12

• Bay Watcher
  • [item_weapon:rat_flail]
    • View Profile
    • MCHCSaint Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:23:34 am »

Won't cave-ins go through a floor? If so, dig a tunnel above the demon, set up a cave-in, then set it off. Your dwarves should be safe since they're above it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31:02 am »

Have you considered applying MAAAAAAAAGMAAAAAAAAAAA

---

Get together a squad of legendary hammerdwarfs with silver hammers, that's what I'd do.  If you could somehow get platinum hammers that would help, but they're only available through artifact weapons.
EDIT: Looking at the weapons tables again, I'm not sure if you should go for silver hammers or Steel hammers. I dunno which would do better. Still, blunt weapons are your best bet against an enemy made of coal.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:38:15 am by MDFification »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 09:24:44 am »

I think actually spelling out clowns is a breach of rules here, they should be called clowns and not clowns. If you get what I mean.

Have you considered applyingMAAAAAAAAGMAAAAAAAAAAA

Im pretty sure clowns are immune to magma. I wouldnt fight clowns if I could avoid it as well. They are pretty fucking though to put it bluntly. Webbing also happens to be perhaps the worst of the abilites they can use in battle.

Just seal everything off and ignore them. Pray they dont get out.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:27:38 am »

Won't cave-ins go through a floor? If so, dig a tunnel above the demon, set up a cave-in, then set it off. Your dwarves should be safe since they're above it.

This is the thing to do. Murder them dead with tons of rock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:03 am »

I have a logical idea! Create a small tunnel for your marksdwarves so they can see the demons from the end of the hallway. To make things safer, designate one brave Dwarven soul to create a fortification before you can see the demons, then have him loop around a one way path to expose the one way exit to the fortification.

The demons may have webbing, but they won't be able to combat the Marksdwarves beyond the fortification.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:58 am »

I think actually spelling out clowns is a breach of rules here, they should be called clowns and not clowns. If you get what I mean.

At this point it's basically kayfabe...the percentage of people who haven't been spoiled on it yet is roughly equivalent to that of wrestling fans who still genuinely believe it's not just a show :P.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:19:18 am »

If they are inorganic and being "chipped" by iron spikes, then they haven't been chipped enough. "Chipping" does damage them, you just need to chip them enough so their necessary bodyparts (upper body, lower body, head) break.

Of course if they have no upper body, lower body or head then this is pointless.

Engage them with marksdwarves at a safe distance. Or obsidian, or cave-in.

You can also drop/launch stuff on them with cunning traps.

---

Get together a squad of legendary hammerdwarfs with silver hammers, that's what I'd do.  If you could somehow get platinum hammers that would help, but they're only available through artifact weapons.
EDIT: Looking at the weapons tables again, I'm not sure if you should go for silver hammers or Steel hammers. I dunno which would do better. Still, blunt weapons are your best bet against an enemy made of coal.

Nonsense. anything with a web that is bigger and has better attacks than a GCS will slaughter your melee squad in three seconds.

and no, magma doesn't work on demons, even those made of coal.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »

You can also drop/launch stuff on them with cunning traps.
Mechanic McBlackadder: "I have a trap so cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a hoary marmot!"

Related: A trap so insane you could stick some alcohol in it and call it a dwarf.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:49:34 pm »

Yeah, probably the easiest would be to clear floor above them and cave in a section of stone above that level.
But my vote goes to light-speed accelerated minecart loaded with super massive Klein bottles (they're also called cages) filled with kittens to the brim.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:23 pm »

Nonsense. anything with a web that is bigger and has better attacks than a GCS will slaughter your melee squad in three seconds.

A combination of magma and water should work rather nicely, as long as there aren't any nearby made fo flame or other extremely hot substances.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »

---

I haven't actually engaged an inorganic with a web yet.
(BTW, I was joking with the magma. You should just always apply magma on principle. Survival is not required.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »

If you can somehow make the hallway taller, flood the tunnel with magma. Then flood it with water, encasing the demons. You can dig out the obsidian and the table will be perfectly fine.
Pages: [1] 2