Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a mod to help deal with aquifers  (Read 1249 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a mod to help deal with aquifers
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:43:39 am »

Now I don't mean mod them out. I feel they belong in the game. However there isn't really any reliable method to get through multiple aquifers that doesn't take several months, if not years and doesn't require you to constantly resume cancelled jobs. I'm thinking something along the lines of a wall or a floodgate that you can construct vertically. Or maybe some kind of concrete that you can dump into the water to cause it to harden. Is something like this possible? I only have a little experience modding simple things in DF so I'm not really sure.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Need a mod to help deal with aquifers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:16:36 am »

if by "concrete" you mean "magma," it is possible :)

unfortunately you can't build from above, this is an intrinsic game mechanic.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:41 am »

Yes, I know all about the magma interactions with water but unless it's something you can embark with and put wherever you want it doesn't really help me. I suppose if you could put it in iron barrels or something but as far as I know there's no mechanic for emptying the contents of containers into a pit.

Ucarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:30:53 am »

This is interesting. Doesn't really sound like most mods. But some building that requires a set of not so easily made parts sounds good.
"Not so easily acquired" because it would be ridiculous to make it anywhere near easy. You embark to a location that has a major con, the game should be harder. The same way there is no sense in making it easy to build things engulfed in lava. That stuff is hard. Maybe getting some of those expense parts when you embark makes for a good trade off. Making the aquifer part a little easier to handle, but immediately setting you up with multiple shortages.

I should add that this feels a little like stepping on the frogs feet. Maybe for some people that's what mods are about. I myself prefer enhance to change in most cases.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:31:48 pm »

>> Yes, I know all about the magma interactions with water but unless it's something you can embark with and put wherever you want it doesn't really
>> help me. I suppose if you could put it in iron barrels or something but as far as I know there's no mechanic for emptying the contents of containers
>> into a pit.

Sure, the picture I linked is of me piercing an aquifer within ~1 month of embark with magma generated in a reaction and dumped into a pit in a particular location using minecarts. 

In Orc Fortress you can't actually embark with the capability to do this; it is a rare random drop in the mod, and requires a lot of steel even once you happen to get it.  But in your own version you can make the building requirements and reaction reagents whatever you like. 

>> I should add that this feels a little like stepping on the frogs feet. Maybe for some people that's what mods are about.
>> I myself prefer enhance to change in most cases.

Many players just disable aquifers anyway, or don't embark on site with them, so, /shrug.  Mods are about fun, which for experienced players is mostly about adding more challenges.  Once you've done it a few times I wouldn't say that dealing with multi layers of aquifer cancellation spam is either challenging or fun.  If it's a thin aquifer or in stone it's easier to do the old fashioned way in any case.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:39:44 pm by smakemupagus »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:07:13 pm »

Hell, it'd be nice just to know how deep an aquifer is before you embark on it. It used to be that way. Why Toady changed it is beyond me. I guess he figured it was more realistic? Single layer aquifers were so easy to deal with it wasn't even an issue when choosing a location. But now it's a total gamble.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »

but as far as I know there's no mechanic for emptying the contents of containers into a pit.

Designate zone for dumping (i -> g)

Mark contents inside the container to be dumped

Profit