Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: Something's fishy about this place  (Read 5840 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
[Succession Game] Innsmouth: Something's fishy about this place
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:13:09 am »

In 1050, a party from the Bolt of Uniting settled an austere fishing village on a coast that was said, by those few who passed by the shunned place, to be haunted.  Few realized that the Dwarves were not simply unaware of their inauspicious choice of surroundings...

Spoiler: The Embark (click to show/hide)

The King of the Dwarves was a twisted creature, bathed in the blood of the innocent, a vampire whose loyal followers now sought out the sanctum of greater dark powers in the earth and beneath the sea.  The party known as The Deep Secrets consisted of...

1) Tevish Szat Masterclasped (m), the High Priest of Dagon
2) Sigun Chainedsilvers (m), the mighty miner
3) Edzul Whippedwades (f), his fellow compatriot in stone-gathering
4) Degel Tonehatchets (m), the grim carpenter
5) Zon Salveshake (f), dedicated to obliterating the scourge of natute (woodcutter)
6) Sigun Crystalhumid (f), the shaper of stone (Mason)
7) Ingish Pricetrumpet (f), a farmer
(Oddly, every last one of them has gold eyes and, when described, voices that are low/deep, raspy/scratchy, or both.  Great start))

They arrived upon the shore at 1 Granite, 1051... a day no doubt the free world above the waves shall curse...

~Special Challenges~
1) Innsmouth, as one would guess from the name, is a fortress dedicated to Lovecraftian horrors.  As such, Forgotten Beasts and Sea Monsters are to be treated as honored guests.  If possible, containing them alive in the fortress is ideal: set up temples to the glorious masters below!  If it's not feasible to convince FBs to get into cages (or Sea Monsters into aquariums or internal pools), leaving them alone is a valid option.  Since the ocean is evil, our little bearded cultists may be forgiven for beating down any undead sea monsters that come hammering on their doors.
2) Innsmouth needs to present the image of "A normal little town" to the outside world.  Ideally, we'll have a pier some "houses" on the surface, and the entrance to the real fort concealed in some basement somewhere.  Overseers can expand Innsmouth however they see fit (and of course, defense is going to be important), but are encouraged to try to stay on theme
3) Should our vampire king show up at the fortress, no unfortunate accidents.  Isolation is acceptable, as long as it doesn't drive him insane (since an Insane king can't be king anymore, really)

~Rules~
1) One year = One Turn.  You'll be starting on the First of Granite and when the cheery green text declaring "Spring has arrived!" shows next, that means it's time to hand the fortress over to the next madman overseer.
2) When it's your turn, you have one week to take your turn.  If you start but don't finish, please upload the save because the next sucker gets to finish your turn in addition to doing their spring-spring turn.  If you're providing a constant stream of updates, you'll have a bit of a grace period, but please consider the people after you.  If you don't start or vanish without posting your save, we'll just go from the last end-of-turn save.
3) If the fort gets utterly trashed to unplayability in a way not befitting the end of our little story, we'll revert to an older save.  If there's any hope we can recover from the mess, though, we'll soldier on.  Hopefully this won't happen.  In general, don't open the circus without both a plan to handle it AND a failsafe mechanism should your plan go pear shaped (I'd say don't open the circus, but we might get to the point where that becomes an option), try to avoid flooding the fort with sourced water/magma, and realize that FPS massacre like draining sourced water into the magma sea for perpetual cave-in fun will probably be frowned upon.
4) Dwarf people on the Dwarfing List when possible.  Try to report dwarfings and deaths of named dwarves in your turn

~Succession List~
Done  In Progress  Skipped  Upcoming
1> Tevish Szat 1 (Fort lost to undead fish) 2 (Fort lost to mass insanity)  3 (Lost to Undead Again, save uploaded)
2> Destra Survived a year
3> Peregarrett
4> ☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼
5> InsanityIncarnate
6> kopout
7> Hylas
8> Lightningfalcon
9> ?
*UristtheGrey and Trev_lite have dibs on early slots since they were signed up in the previous thread.

~Dwarfing List~
Dwarfed  To-Be-Dwarfed  Dead
Spoiler: Dwarfing list (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:14:02 am by Tevish Szat »
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: If I were a Deep One
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:17:16 am »

PTW and I'll request a dorf as Xantalos, Slumbering Horror, if I could. I can't download DF saves at the moment so I can't play, but I'm eager to watch.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:24:53 am »

I would lovingly adore a chance to become and overlady to this wonderful fort :p and I would love to be dwarfed as well, if I could be our lovely mason that would be great :p

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:44:59 am »

Oooh! Just a few days ago Ihad a thought of modding Lovecraftian horrors into DF. Dagon, Ctulhu, Elders, Mee-Go's, Shoggoths...

I take Degel the grim carpenter. When he gets his room, made it his tomb also by putting a casket next to bed.

And a turn also.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »

You find an old, weather beaten journal.  It smells strongly of salt, but there's a hint of something else, a coppery smell you cannot quite put your finger on.  Inside, the records are made in dull, brown letters.  Though the hand is neat and legible, there are some quivers in the text that make you think the writer probably wasn't all there...

1 Granite, 1051
As was writ in the Prophecies of Dagon, we have arrived upon the shore of the Disgusting Gulf of Deceivers.  The land here is good and we have fresh water from the streams as well as salt.  What I would not give for a sawmill, though!  Building the outer wall of our cover structure, which some devotee with a sense of humor called the Gillman House Hotel in planning, will take almost all the lumber we brought with us.  I've ordered Zon to log the Plain of Artifice while Peregarrett builds.  Sigun and Xantalos will have to make progress on the accommodations of the faithful down below before we can do much else.

The twin rivers provide a natural defense for our community -- we are bounded on three sides by water, but a wall bridging the two rivers would be a massive undertaking.  worth doing, perhaps, but not a priority.

12 Granite, 1051
As was set down in the holy prophecies, the land here is salt as the sea, though from it sweet water flows.  The rock salt is beneath several layers of soil, including Silty Clay that we can use for earthenware, so Ingish is now setting up our farms, past the hallway that shall conceal our delvings from unwanted guests.  Soon, we shall have workshops and Destra is already building our trade depot across from the 'hotel'

21 Granite, 1051
In addition to the good news from below (Coal and porcelain are in our grasp), there came a rain of pungent good from over the sea.  It seems to make souls dizzy, more than anything else.

24 Granite, 1051
Joy unto us!  The rains also bring us blisters, to change our forms to be more like unto those of our hallowed masters in the deep!  All the same, the changes can be... uncomfortable.  It would be best, perhaps, if we largley retreated within, or at least set up a meeting area out of the rain.

26 Slate, 1051
One of the fishes crawled out of the sea today...  a Spotted Wobbegong.  All dead, all rotted, all ready for us.  Lord Dagon sends us gifts

8 Felsite, 1051
The sea is the gift that never stops giving, even when its gifts have stopped moving before --

The remainder of this page is covered in blood

(The spotted wobbegong corpse that was harmless the first time around, when mutilated managed to kill every dwarf there.  Since we died so early, I'm going to reclaim with some military to hold off the undead fish rather than scumming for the starting save, especially now that I know the sea is a reanimating biome, so I've got to kill fish off it or prepare to re-kill them)

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

That was... quick.
Take squad of 7 archers and a load of bolts. That's the best way to reclaim an evill fortress.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »

The journal continues in a different hand, and different ink...

1 Granite: Reached Innsmouth today.  His Majesty was quite displeased with my predecessor's failure, and so we've been sent to clean up the mess.  According to the caravan, the only danger was one stinking fish.  How does a spotted wobbegong, even a dead one, kill seven dwarves, even ones covered in blisters?  It's not a carp, for Dagon's sake!

My guess?  The old High Priest forgot that the gods always help those who help themselves.  I wish I could say something to save my predecessor's skin, but even what was built before the fall is a wreck... just one structure, with a rotted, ooze-coated sign proclaiming it to be the "Gillman House Hotel" and not much down below.  What a mess.

(Reclaim Party coming later:  I'm taking Peregarrett's advice, and bringing 7 crossbows and as many bolts as I can fit for the reclaim.  As long as the dwarves actually pickup equipment, I'll get that blasted fish and retake Innsmouth)

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 02:53:09 pm »

Lol that was quick indeed, umm dwarf me again? As a female if we have one, mason?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:16:49 pm »

Our new group, the Dark Powers, consists of...
Myself, Urist Marsh-Copperlanguage, Priest of Dagon
Peregarrett II Vesselphrase, Carpenter
Destra II Rulewheels, Mason
Xantalos II Abbeysects, Slumbering Horror (Miner)
Mistem Netsave, Miner
Unib Blockadetired, Farmer
and Tun Brassheavy, Woodcutter

The fish that got the last party is nowhere to be seen... for now, but I've ordered everyone to gear themselves in case it shows its ugly mug, or if we get any action from the dead of the Deep Secrets.

2 Granite:
Betanrotig Akiludar, better known as "That Damn Dead Fish" sprang from ambush; killed Mistem before anyone could react and Tun when he charged in to fight it hand to hand, having left his crossbow in the wagon for some mad reason..  I've ordered the wreckage of that mutilated corpse dragged inland, where hopefully it won't be able to reanimate and plague us again.  I've also ordered a table and chair constructed so I can start sorting through the mess.  We didn't bring any picks of our own, after all.  We're all mad as hell and disinclined to take this anymore, but we'll get through.  A few tantrums never hurt anyone.

8 Granite: I'm worried about the skeletal dogs we've seen: They haven't gone out and attacked anybody yet, but if they're half as dangerous as that fish, we're in trouble

22 Granite: I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!  WHY DOES EVERYONE COME TO ME WITH THEIR PETTY LITTLE PROBLEMS! WE HAVE MORE IMPORTANT WORK TO DO!  I'LL SACRIFICE YOU ALL TO LORD DAGON!

(the remainder of this page is blotted out in blood)

24 Granite: Unib... no, Asenath here.  Urist went Berserk, and now I'm in charge.  Lord Dagon has not been kind to our expedition thusfar, driving our leader to the exalted frenzy just when we were almost done burying the previous dead.

26 Granite: Destra the second went Berzerk, following our former glorious leader.  We're going to need more coffins...

6 Slate: YOU IDIOTS!  HOW DARE YOU-

(The remainder of this page is illegible due to blood stains)

9 Slate: Peregarrett II reporting.  Asenath killed Xantalos, and I killed her.  I am the last living dwarf in Innsmouth.  I've at least put to rest the ghost that bore my name, and am working on burying anyone else I can find.  Hopefully, if we're in our tombs, we'll rest...

16 Slate: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

(Peregarrett II has gone berserk)

~~~

this is... quickly turning into the biggest mess I've ever seen out of a fortress.  I'm not sure if I'm totally incompetant or if the Disaster Dominoes just keep falling the wrong way.

I think if the fish hadn't ambushed us, we might have made it through: the marksdwarves made short work of any undead they encountered, but the insanity epidemic made short work of Innsmouth.

Again.

I'll update the first post with the second run's fatalities, and if I lose again pass on the reclaim so someone can actually succeed in this succession
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:23:01 pm by Tevish Szat »

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: If at first you don't succeed
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:24:21 pm »

Add me to the list. Dis gun b gut.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:29:09 pm »

Are you accepting dwarf requests? I would like to be dwarfed as a honourable Vermin Catcher. I would like to collect the vermin in traps, and put them on proud displays around the settlement. Or tame them, and release the hordes of rats, roaches and others.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:10:25 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 08:25:58 pm »

I would recommend savescumming and starting anew.

Dwarf me as a miner if possible. I wanna watch this.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:27:17 pm »

Wow.
COuld I be redorfed (again)?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GatorFace

• Bay Watcher
  • A face fit for a reptile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:05:11 pm »

I find this Lovecraft fort to be a nifty idea, and would love to be dorfed into it.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »

Well, third times a charm i always say! Lets see if i cant mason us a survival this time? :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5