Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: Something's fishy about this place  (Read 5837 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: If at first you don't succeed
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:27 pm »

So, if you reclaim, you'll likely find my second dorf berserking around. If possible, capture him. :D

Undead fishes are badass. I hope we'll get no undead whales - they are almost undefeatable!

EDIT: If your reclaim fails again, I'd like to try it myself.

And I have an idea of Sea Burial.
Dead dwarves are put into minecart catafalque and it is launched into the deepth of the sea, to reborn as Deep Ones.
But I'm afraid they will return back to the surface wrecking havoc on still alive citizens.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:10:24 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:00 am »

I love that idea!!! I don't care if they return as zombies to plague us, totally fits :d and I'm sure I could get a survivable fort going, just get a really quick wall up, doesn't have to be a large area, and then dig, can clear things out later :p

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: If I were a Deep One
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:37 am »

I think if the fish hadn't ambushed us, we might have made it through: the marksdwarves made short work of any undead they encountered, but the insanity epidemic made short work of Innsmouth.

Again.
:P
Ok, this location might actualy be cursed.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:04 pm »

The Dwarves of "The Unspeakable Act"

Olmstead Fanciedoiled, Priest of Dagon
Destra III Lightninginked, Mason
Chaosgear Soakedpainted, Miner
Lorbam Granitepuce, Mine
Peregarrett III Roomracks, Carpenter
Gatorforce Haldlevoices, Farmer
Xantalos III Knifegrottoes, Unspeakable Horror (Woodcutter)

1 Granite:
The Gillman House Hotel certainly looks... less than hospitable.  We don't see the madman that's supposed to be lurking about, but he's almost assuredly in there somewhere.  No matter, if Y'ha-nthlei is to be served and this place to do its sacred duty, we must rebuild and repopulate Innsmouth.

9 Granite:
Burial is going well.  No sign of Peregarrett II -- it's possible he departed this site.  I've ordered more coffins made by Destra, while everyone else drags food or bodies inside.  I would make the offering of the dead to Y'ha-nthlei, but we're in no position to return our forebearers to the sea for the time being.

3 Slate:
With no disasters occurring thus far, I've ordered the lumber recovered from the surface.  We need a few more beds, and a second floor on the Gillman House Hotel

6 Slate:
Serpentine is sacred and must be reserved for the holy use of Lord Dagon.

14 Slate: The undead multiply, slaying the living beasts on the shores of the sea and ensuring that they rise to join the ranks of walking corpses.  At the moment, the domestic animals and ibexes that make up that number are no great threat, but I hope we receive reinforcements sooner rather than later.

(Skeletons started undead by virtue of being in the reanimating biome when we reclaimed.  the ibexes... were added to that number.  I'd go out and kill them, but I've seen what losing one or two of the starting seven can do.  When we get migrants, maybe.)

15 Slate: Peregarrett II finally showed his face in the tunnels, striking at GatorForce from ambush!  Gator proceded to bite the madman in the leg and then, like some sort of alligator, shook him about with his teeth until Peregarrett II, the last survivor of the former, ill-fated mission, was no more.

(I kid you not... it wasn't the killing blow, but most of the fight was gator fighting like a gator)

3 Felsite: The cat skeleton is actually starting to bother people.... let's just take it out, shall we?
(The rest of this page is scratched to ribbons)

4 Felsite: Chaosgear here.  Only one left alive.  Ran inside and locked the door.  Cat skeleton killed two, other undead pounced on the reinforcements.  It's the rain... if we're dizzy and can't see, even the weakest undead are more than a match for soldiers.

7 Felsite: Destra III has risen to join the ranks of the undead. outside, but that's not important,  just have to calm myself down.

13 Felsite: WHY!!!
(Ia shub niggurath... he's throwing a tantrum.  well, he can't make anyone else unhappy by it)

15 Felsite: Gator, Peregarrett III, and his right arm have joined the undead but... I just don't care any more

(Some pages are scribed in a strange script.  It takes an awfully long time to translate)
21 Felsite: Surface dweller weak of mind.  Unfit to serve Father Dagon.  Many dead walk, maybe crawl.  Ibexes, camel, horse and cat with names of legend, bodies of three surface dwellers and arms of two.

Unfinished hotel.  Needs floor... 4 table... 4 chairs... second floor... roof... 4 bedrooms on second floor...  Needs everything but walls, doors, and some stairs.   Place of trade for outsiders.

Basement.  Farms.  Good food for surface dwellers, offerings to Father Dagon.  Tunnel long for traps.

Place where dwarves work.  Need minecarts.

Place of food, yesss.  Also, stupid dwarf.

Father Dagon wants his temple here, in the sacred green stone, of the sacred green stone.  Dwarves did not even carve it, just space for doors.

1 Hematite:  Summer comes  Perhaps more dwarves.  The sad one is thirsty, but we do not let him drink of Father Dagon's waters.  We must have more dwarves.

12 Hematite: Dwarf's thirst very serious.  Will die soon, more dwarves must come.

1 Malachite: Dwarf died.  no more dwarves came in time.  This book will be left for next dwarves.

I learned something today: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ENGAGE THE UNDEAD WHILE DIZZY!  The rains of Pungent Goo that regularly fall over the evil biome are harlmess out of combat -- slows dwarves down and gives them bad thoughts with its dizzyness and mass blisters, but if you try to fight under those conditions you're a goner.

Chaosgear, you almost made it to migrants. 

We're going to need more of a padding on population to survive... frankly, I should have locked the front door with all seven inside when the cat skeleton noticed us if not before, rather than trying to send out the marksdwarves.

Destra, good luck.  If my runs are any indication, you're going to need it.

Save HERE
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Innsmouth: Something's fishy about this place
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 07:29:13 pm »

Mmmmmmmmk downloading now, says its going to take an ungodly 7 mins before its done, i shall then take a look at what horror ... erm wonderful place i have inherited :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »

If I died, could I be redorfed?
Damn this is deadly.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GatorFace

• Bay Watcher
  • A face fit for a reptile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:45:41 pm »

The fact that my dwarf lived up to his name made me unaccountably happy.

Somehow, I like the idea that the town is slowly being built up by seven dorfs at a time, each group struggling to add a couple walls before falling prey to the darkness of the lands. It's a real touch of that wholesome cult fanaticism.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:11 am »

Ok i played a bit, and here is a small teaser of the first day ...

Ah the first of Granite, we have arrived at the site of our new ... LOOK OUT! My group dives to the side as a skeletal cat goes flying by. It must have been hiding in the grass as we didnt see it until it was almost too late. Reacting quickly, Peregarrett pounced on the little fiend as everyone else fled, a quick kick to its rear sends its tail flying. A quick punch to its rear (he seems to like rear ends it seems) seems to end its movement. If the previous expeditions met with this kind of resistance ... no wonder they fell.

We get a move on quickly picking up our gear and started moving things in front of the The Gillman House Hotel, it seems our comrades were unable to get a second floor put on. That shall be our first objective as we can use our marksdwarves to clear the doors. A small expansion should also be planned if only to give us a better firing place. We begin out venture down into the depths below to clear the tunnels of anything that might be lurking still ... we have no idea what we will discover ...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:15:02 am by Destra »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 04:11:57 am »

Downloaded the save to give it a try, embarked with 6 marksdwarves and 1 miner (my usual reclaim team for evil embarks)... a-a-a-a-and... No enemies in sight! What the hell?

And I found that Deep City project is harder than I thought. The sea part of biome is just 1 level deep and throwing bodies there will result in undeads jumping back on the shore.

So, the project is the Underwater Pyramid!

We have to dry some area there (pumps + windmills/waterwheels) and dig a few levels down into ocean bottom, carving or building the Pyramid, with some structures inside it. Them turn off the pumps and install some ugly statue at the top.
And then launch dead dwarves there, so they can inhabit the Pyramid.

Speaking of numbers, let its basement be 9x9 tiles, so we have to dry out section of 11x11, that requires 10x4 pumps:
Code: [Select]
....%%%%%%%%%%...
....%%%%%%%%%%...
.%%___________...
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
.%%_........._%%.
...___________%%.
...%%%%%%%%%%....
...%%%%%%%%%%....

_ - tiles where water is pumped from
Could add 4 more pumps at corners, to make sure there will be no leaks.
Power supply:
If winds are strong enough (40 Power Urists), you can build a windmill over each 3rd pump, 4 on each pump line.
If not - you can add waterwheels to the side of each pump line. 2 wheels should be enough for that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:10:02 am by peregarrett »
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 09:23:14 am »

Lol well, let's just work on getting past 1 season, then we can worry about an underwater pyramid :p I just embarked with 3 marks dwarves and had a bit of other stuff, can't even remember if I bothered with a wood cutter, I know we have an axe but ya, I will say, we have our work cut out for us, not sure when the undead will come in mass but so far its just been the kitty, I wana build a wall to secure the area but ... We will see, only time will tell,

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 09:05:41 pm »

This looks fun.
I'll take a dwarf, any dwarf. He/she can keep his original name, but have the title "The Mad One".
And I think I'll take a turn, too...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 08:05:37 am »

Can I claim a dwarf as a military dwarf named "Silver"? If so, thanks. :)
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 03:13:58 pm »

Ok turn done ... some ... interesting things happened ...

Ah the first of Granite, we have arrived at the site of our new ... LOOK OUT! My group dives to the side as a skeletal cat goes flying by. It must have been hiding in the grass as we didnt see it until it was almost too late. Reacting quickly, Peregarrett pounced on the little fiend as everyone else fled, a quick kick to its rear sends its tail flying. A quick punch to its rear (he seems to like rear ends it seems) seems to end its movement.

We get a move on quickly picking up our gear and started moving things infront of the Inn, it seems our comrads were unable to get a second floor put on. That shall be our first objective as we can use our marksdwarves to clear the doors. A small expansion should also be planned if only to give us a better firing place. We begin out venture down into the depths below to clear the tunnels of anything that might be lurking still ... we have no idea what we will discover ...

Moving into the fortress proper we found a previous tenant, according to the id tag, it was peregarrett the third. His corpse was just laying out on the dirt. We started moving things inside and as we passed down the passages we looked behind us. Apparently a severed hand was following us.We beat it to a pulp and left the fingers there, cuzz why not?

19th of Slate

We were attacked by a skeletal horse ... it killed two of our number, Destra and CognitiveDissonance fell to the beast before we put it down ... Peregarrett was promoted to the record keeping job even though he is miserable at the losses ... we have no choice. Avoid the horses ...

11th Felsite

We havnt seen Peregarrett or Gatorforce for awhile now ... i have decided to lock us inside, to protect what few we have left, this place .... this place is slaughtering us ... we few we happy few ...

28th Hematite

Praise to the deep one! Comrades have arrived! We have jumped to 10 now, we put these new folks to work Immediately improving things.

(Redwarfed Peregarrett, Gatorforce and myself, and added Silver and Insanity to the listing, several free dwarves still!)

Being locked inside our fortress i felt that we needed to have free access to water, just incase. So i began tunneling out a well and floodgate system so we can have renewable water without leaving the safety of our fort. I also am attempting at the same time to try to start a tree farm, hopefully it will work. I have never attempted such in my life .. though ive also never been in a hellhole that brings back whatever dead we put outside either ...

On the 6th of Galena, in the late summer we finally put poor Chaosgear Adaglogem to rest, he will no longer trouble us and haunt our nights and days. More slabs have been prepared if ... when others die and we can not recover their bodies.

22nd of Gelena

Food stocks continue to dwindle as we try to keep booze for general happiness, our farmers lack the proper amount of seeds to really get things going, hopefully this problem will fix itself slowly over time when more seeds start to get left behind ... we can only hope. Im not sure what we will do if more migrants come and bloats our population up even more.

It seems our records lie and infact we have no booze within the fort but actually has been left outside ... our people have decided not to brew anything else and have infact started to drop from dehydration ... unfortunately the mad one fell before he could make it to water ...

Written in a completely different hand ...
16th of limestone

Oh the horror ... the horror .... half of my fellow dwarves died of dehydration while drinking ... funny that .. must have not had enough time to take effect .. i managed to drag 2 half empty barrels of beer down into the stockpile ... and following me in was zulbans corpse ... but he fell into the cage trap we have at the front enterance ... i took her corpse to the stockpile and livinia went to hold the front door as another corpse came in ... unfortunately she didnt retreat and died only to have the corpse be captured by another cage ... i dont know if she will raise again .... hopefully she does not as we are out of cage traps now. I ... chaosgear .. am the only one left the only left of 13 ...

27th of limestone

I was near the surface today and i thought i hearda noise .. i went out to the second floor of the inn and i see a new corpse out there .. it seems some migrants attempted to enter but failed. I am deeply concerned with the swarm of undead outfront .. i need to grab a crossbow and fix it one day.

2nd timber

So i openned the well floodgate today, and i didnt really feel like closing it .. im so alone .. so lonely, all my friends are with the deep one ... but .. i decided against just letting the water flow ... though it seems that the lower levels are now flooded, mostly the cyrpts and father dagons temple, hopefully i will be forgiven in my moment of weakness.
(even though i locked him in the meeting hall he didnt want to close the gates, oh well lower levels below the bedroom are flooded, amounts to the burial crypts being underwater)

14th of timber

Some traders have arrived, i was hoping their guard would be able to kill the undead outside and free the fort but .. it appears to not be the case. I have started to suspect that the rain is what causes bodies to raise from the dead .. for nothing under cover has risen yet ...

7th of opal

i have begun smelting a peice of wood, one of the last we have, into coke and starting to get a bit of material so i can forge a chain link for the well, its about the last thing we lack.. well .. me and my ghosts.

10th of obsidian

The well was finished today, and i really have to get on the ghost problem. Our dead must be put to rest before things start to happen ... though it is something i will leave till later ... hopefully I can find a way to get others into the fort later as well.

(i would say we are good for water, theres a fair amount of food as wel, and booze should last for awhile. Chaosgear is very resiliant to things so i doubt he will rage, but i would say we should tunnel a pathway down towards the corners of the map so we have an emergency tunnel so we can bring people in, there is a crossbow inside as well as bolts so we can post someone up on the completed second level, though i didnt have time to do a fortification and a roof for it yet. Both levers that control the floodgates are labeled and yea should be interesting next year :P)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7443 - save for the next year.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 05:41:29 am »

Wow, it's my turn. Let the Undersea Project begin!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »

I'd like to take a turn
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5