Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning designation?  (Read 1824 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning designation?
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:56 pm »

Dwarves are averse to cleaning, and I'm sick of seeing turkey blood spattered on walls after the elves have been rinsed. Could a designation be added for 'clean this area'?
It might help to curb syndromes, too.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning designation?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:17:13 pm »

Dwarves clean automatically, it's just that it's a super low-priority job.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »

I would assumme that the point of this suggestion is that a cleaning designation would increase the priority of cleaning.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:27 pm »

yeah....

or even an option in the orders menu.  or zones menu. maybe zones and orders menu, with orders to "clean world", "don't clean", or "clean in zones only".

at any rate, a way to increase cleaning priority would REALLY help fps on some forts.   Trying to trick idle dwarves into cleaning not-quite-safe areas via meeting zones is about the only in-game way i know to get an area cleaned up, and it's counter productive if you forget about a zone and so much as a kobold theif shows up.   
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »

The only ways I know how to clean up blood and FB coverings are to dump magma on the spot, or make a floor or wall over the spot. Either can be time consuming, and it's difficult to use the magma on spots with high traffic if you want to keep dwarf deaths low.

I think this would help a lot, mostly my meager 4-14 fps.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »

There's a Dfhack application to do it automatically, though.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:53 pm »

There is, but I think it would be better to have an interface within the game that allows you to clean- rather than relying on other software.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:19:52 pm »

Alternately, this could be part of the argument for giving players a chance to re-order priorities, themselves.

There are many stupid priorities problems that come up like meeting with diplomats/traders that are severely annoying to players right now, and having the ability to command your dwarves and say "this is a top priority!" is a fully reasonable thing for players to do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »

A player-controlled general rearrangement of priorities... I like that.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:38:59 pm »

This is an ancient issue. I'm not sure if its a bug or if its by design. It seems to be by design, but the problem is that Toady designed the conditions for a cleaning job to be so narrow that cleaning is very rarely actually done.

See some science on the topic:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=296#c14279

Also no cleaning is ever done above-ground, meaning that any above ground fortress will require the use of DFhack to keep things tidy. From what I can tell from observing cleaning behavior, this should be a relatively easy thing to fix by simply relaxing the conditions required to generate a cleaning job.

I'd suggest removing the underground check, so cleaning can be done above or below ground, as well as removing the X, Y, Z coordinate restriction. So a dwarf could clean anywhere on the map, but only if they finished their current task and have no other jobs to do. This means cleaning would be dead last in priority, but it would get done. And cleaning should be dead last in priority, higher only than being idle in a meeting zone. Once the giblets are hauled away then cleaning can be done. It makes no sense to clean up prior to hauling goblin giblets away.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:41:51 pm by Hyndis »

PaulMurrayCbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:33:48 am »

So how come these slackers are hanging around with "No Job" on them when there's blood all over the shop? Grrr!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:48:41 pm »

And cleaning should be dead last in priority, higher only than being idle in a meeting zone. Once the giblets are hauled away then cleaning can be done. It makes no sense to clean up prior to hauling goblin giblets away.

That's just if cleaning up is merely "cleaning up".  What if there's a syndrome involved, and you want your hazmat teams to clean away the trail of contaminated blood?  (Before being locked in quarantine themselves, unless you can make a syndrome-proof uniform...) This is a game that can have very different and complex circumstances, depending on how it evolves or is modded that players have to react to.

There's good reason for players to want to declare things a "top priority" beyond some arbitrary hard-coded script.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:53:08 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 02:53:53 pm »

So how come these slackers are hanging around with "No Job" on them when there's blood all over the shop? Grrr!

Apparently, unlike most other types of jobs, they don't notice that an area needs cleaning unless they're right there looking at it.  Try making a meeting zone in the area you need cleaned, so idlers go hang out there and notice there's work to be done.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »

As far as cleaning outside goes it'd be reasonable to make it so that all outside tiles clean themselves up after a while, depending on climate and rainfall, and especially make it so that wall tiles in rivers don't soak up any blood that gets in the water and stays that way, if anything water moving next to a wall tile should remove any contaminant from it into the water, not the opposite :S

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 12:22:55 pm »

Apparently, unlike most other types of jobs, they don't notice that an area needs cleaning unless they're right there looking at it.
Not being able to see bloody mess never stopped them from running into still occupied trap chambers. And unlike jobs like hauling, reloading or cleaning traps, this one can't be cancelled by any means other than alert burrow, which isn't optimal in some situations.
Ability to designate which areas should be kept clean and as shiny as glory of dwarven civilization and which areas should be ever messy and bloody as the fate of enemies of the dwarves would be great.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science