Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What kind of place should we embark?

Evil as can be! (Unfortunately this may not be a viable option, as evil=irradiated)
- 3 (37.5%)
A wild forest.
- 2 (25%)
In the middle of a desert.
- 2 (25%)
Flat plain/shrubland.
- 1 (12.5%)
Jaggy hills/mountain.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: DF Fallout Mod: Amatorlaboro, Loverworks (FUN... FUN never changes.)  (Read 12515 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: DF Fallout Mod: Amatorlaboro, Loverworks (FUN... FUN never changes.)
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2013, 07:32:47 am »

Logs of second overseer Deona, summer of third year.

Everything was good. TOO GOOD to be true... I felt it in my heart, but other thought I am just nervous.

NERVOUS YOU SAY?

One of new scavangers was talking to his friends outside of walls when this happened.
A snake emerged from the bushes and stung her. It stung her right in the abdomen, and it was one of those snakes with a deadly poison. Her friends surrounded her, trying to help her and telling her that he should go to hospital.

She shaked with all her body, saliva pouring out of her mouth, her eyes turned inside. And then... And then a dozen of tentacles burst her chest open, her head disconnected from her body and fell on the ground. A huge maw opened in her belly and she... no, IT, it pulled one of her former friends inside her belly-maw with tentacles, biting his head off.

Big James B organized his security force quickly, they surrounded the creature and tried to pin it in a corner. However it was too fast. Deadly fast. It jumped on Big James B who tried to keep it away from his bayonet and bit his arm and leg off in one move. He was still alive when it stabbed his face with a long proboscis.
He immediately started to transform, but a closest officer put him out of his misery with one strike to what remained of his head, and transformation stopped.

The creature moved on, slicing and stabbing with its tentacles. A lot of good people died this day. Disarcade shot all of his ammo in its belly and then started to bash it with a butt of his gun. He was screaming his wife's name as a battlecry when it devoured him.

Almost all of security officers died, and tried to barricade themselves in, but the creature jumped inside the gate and started chasing people around.

One of our miners organized resistance, she grabbed some weapons from our assorted stockpile and with a few friends confronted the creature. It killed more of us, but the brave farmer sawed its head off with a ripper, threw an oil barrel from a nearby stockpile and set it ablaze. It was dying slowly and took a life of another man, but finally it burnt to death...

We were NOT ready for this!

One of wounded officers screamed in his bed in hospital in his sleep. He was yelling that bugs creep under his skin, that his eyes are on fire and stuff like that... He eventually went crazy.

An officer put him out of his misery, and that guy had such a bad memory that the same evening he was playing on our arcade in the diner like nothing happened... Or he pretended to forget. He's well known for his bad memory though.

We hear strange sounds from the cavern we broken into. I've ordered to barricade the hole, the sounds reach our bedrooms and startle people.

Another child has crafted an art piece of sorts. I had no time to organize a proper display with all these deaths lately.

Ghouls told us rumours about a cannibal village nearby, and they've started to come for our children! Our mechanics set up a clever device at our gate, so now we have a few cages with cannibal spies.

A few of our citizens gave birth, so now we have  a healthy population of children running about. We should rework our defences, we cannot let them die.

Two more art pieces were created, a fancy crate for meds and a chain.

We've built a separate corridor leading to the barracks which has a lot of traps and dangerous devices. We will use it normally when the merchants are not here, and our traps are set up to ignore our pets.

Our researchers has been studying all the scrap we've found, and they've found some blueprints, really nice. Now we've started work on our own cryogenics chamber, we've mage a generator, our furnace operators are assembling arc furnaces and we have a biofuel processing plant next to our sawmill in the yard. The technology comes back, slowly, but still...

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2013, 07:42:14 am »

Here I leave this place to the next overseer.

The artifacts are in display cases in the diner. The bed artifact is in barracks to spice up their mood.
Please do not leave future artifacts around, put them in display cases in diner.

Here's the outside map:

The generator is used to recharge cells.

SCRAPYARD/FUEL/FURNITURE
Scrapyard takes from scrap stockpile, the carpenter workshops should take from wood stockpile (check it). Don't make sawmill to take from wood stockpile because it also requires coal.
Scavenge scrap to get a lot of useful and expensive stuff, you also get scrap metal and crates.
Open crates in inventor's workshop (area tagged as "research" on the map).
Wooden blocks made in sawmill can be turned into furniture in furniture workshops.
Note bene! 5 wooden blocks can be burned for 1 fuel into 5 coal in scrapyard. Use this to get fuel for forging.

ARC FURNACES
Arc furnaces can only smelt specific things, but they require no fuel (they are powered by fuel rods), so use them to smelt scrap metal and ores.
Forges and gunsmith forge can take fuel from scrapyard block burning.

CONCRETE
For constructions use concrete blocks. Concrete blocks and pipes can be made in concrete factory; the sand (and glass items) and clay are one level below the ground, there's a dedicated area with glass furnaces and kilns nearby.

MEDBAY
Medbay requires soap, there's a small soap industry set next to it. Burn remains in kiln for ash, use ash in ashery to make lye. Make soap in soapmaker's workshop from lye and tallow (tallow you get from rendering fat from dead animals in kitchen).
There's a cryogenics station in patient room. Use it only when you have a man without a bodypart (or very badly damaged) resting there. As an option you can station an amputee there. Another man should activate the labor, lock the door so they all cannot leave. The operator will transform close people into cryogenics pods, and they will revert back into healthy humans some time later (duration can be chosen). Do it carefully.

TRADE DEPOT
The trade depot is an airlock, leave it open from the outside so traders always have a path to it. You can swap gates when traders arrive, there're two levers next to it in the barracks, the are marked with "n"otes.

Use Dwarf Therapist which comes with the uploaded game, I've set up work profiles for all citizens. You can sort by migration wave to see new immigrants, then just right click them and assign work profiles based on your preference. We could use a bit more engineers and couriers (haulers) are always nice.
I hope you are comfortable with dwarf therapist, if not I can help you.

I left right when another wave of migrants arrives.

So your two immediate goals are:
1) Assign job profiles in Dwarf Therapist to the new wave of migrants.
2) Outfit military.

I carefully picked all people who are in military based on their current stats and stat potentials. We have a full squad of sec. officers now, lead by a new security chief with great teacher potential, please do not swap him with someone else.

Security officers are outfitted... poorly. Only 3-4 have full armor and the armor is not that great. Please use the new metal industry I've started to forge boots and gauntlets, helmets, leggings etc. for them.
Machetes and bayonets are preferrable weapons for now, sledgehammers and crowbars don't do much against large mutants.

Good luck! And look out for another The Thing, you never know if the old one we killed had time to infect someone.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:13:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:22:17 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Greasemunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:36 am »

Uhh, first.
WHAT THE HELL ARE/WERE/MIGHT STILL BE THOSE THINGS.

Second...
Well there isn't a second really.

I'll get a proper start on this later today.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:31:50 am by Greasemunky »
And hey, fps rose from 4 to 12 from all the death.  That's good, right?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2013, 09:52:24 am »

o.O Oh man, I was so excited about that gun and hoping to be the hero. I will write a journal entry, and look for a potential second dwarf in the save later.
Awesome updates! And awesome mod! I really should try it sometime
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:02 am »

Everyone who fought the changeling are heroes, the thing is a beast, it regenerates quickly and has a lot of deadly bodyparts. I am surprised a random farmer could kill it. Praise the randomness of DF!

Greasemunky, upload your save some time later when you have made something, I am going to add tactical headsets and finally finish power armor. Tactical headsets will increase skills and agility, and power armor will give strength. It's all possible with the new DFHack. I also plan to replace some useless custom workshop with a weather station, which can control weather. We know we need rain, that pool in the courtyard is all bloody.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:27 pm »

I like what you've done with the fortress layout. Looks very much like what you would find in a Fallout game.

Using DFHack, I prefer nowadays to rename the Buildings/Levers to their functional purpose (especially if I have a mess of levers to operate, and I want to flip the correct one); as well as certain stockpiles to better describe their purpose, along with labeling them as an import/export stockpile where necessary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:50:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »

I do it myself, but I've decided not to do it here because it may freak out some people. I've marked them with Notes though, so it's easy to check.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:52 pm »

so... do I have an adult or the kid or what?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2013, 04:06:10 pm »

I've named that kid after you, he has created an artifact. He should grow up soon (one of the first migrant wave has already grown up).
You can ask Greasemunky to name someone else after you though if you don't want to be the kid, but the child has the highest survival chance for now, and he's awesome in many aspects too (and his artifact is in diner in display case, that's an achievement already).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Greasemunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »

Yea, there's no shortage of citizens to be claimed. Now, onto the postings.

From the journal of former Commisarette and now Overseer Greasemunky.

25th Malachite:
I have arrived at the outpost and it appears that due to recent strains from an attack by some sort of beast, the previous Overseer has decided to relinquish the position, and as the most qualified officer, I volunteered to take the reins.

This transition was not as smooth as I had hoped it would have been, with several uppity citizens questioning the existence of my rank, as well as my sanity! Alas, we cannot all be privy to the knowledge that I have. However, there were no others who were as willing to take the job as I was. I can but hope that I am truly ready for this job.

1st Galena:

It appears that the underseer, or Second Overseer as they call the position here has mandated the production of... boots.
Well, it seems like a good idea considering the large amount of blood, vomit and other such fluids that coat the ground.

I've begun searching for suitable candidates for a militia squad, headed by myself of course. It will consist of rifle armed soldiers, to better deal with certain threats, like the one that the citizens will only refer to as "The thing". A tower will be built near the trap laden entry way to give our rifle squad a nice vantage point. It will be surrounded by a channel, to prevent invaders from getting too close. Also, I will immediately be ordering our outpost to be given a roof, save for the large courtyards with the crop patches. No point in giving a Cazador pack a free meal. The open areas however, will be given a nice sort of ring, giving us full fortification all around.

We just need more concrete, a lot more concrete.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:42:28 pm by Greasemunky »
And hey, fps rose from 4 to 12 from all the death.  That's good, right?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:05 pm »

Hmm, do you plan to organize rangers squad now? Because I would suggest outfitting security officers first, they need good melee weapons to deal with creatures inside the walls :).

Nice idea about the tower. You can put catapults on top of it. You know, with DFHack you can aim catapults across Z levels at areas, so if you build 6-9, you can fire big volleys of death (with DFHack you can fire anything; so you can use all those excess concrete blocks as ammo).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »

What.
The.
Hell.

No, seriously, what was that thing? Looked like something straight out of Resident Evil.

It shall be burned into the peoples' minds for generations to come.

(On a side note, how do engravings work in this?)
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2013, 05:27:30 pm »

Engravings work as engravings (or they are pictures on walls, you can think what you want) but the themes are fitting. You can see bombs, tanks, soldiers etc. in addition to common stuff.

What.
The.
Hell.

No, seriously, what was that thing? Looked like something straight out of Resident Evil.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

sinuan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

Can I get citizen-ed? Preferably someone who has suffered some great physical and/or psychological trauma.  Love how this has gone down so far
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11