Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Future of the mod

Prospect gold nuggets from sand.
Steal gems from other civs. (simulated by reaction)
Prospect fuel from peat-clay. (collect clay on a peat surface)
Witchers, magic melee
Hexers, magic ranged/support
Hypnotoad, special pet with crazy fortress-wide interactions
More religion, praying, offerings

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: ☼Kobold Camp☼ [v.05] - Release included in MasterworkDF. And a new poll ;)  (Read 40914 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Kobold Camp [v.01] for ☼MASTERWORK☼ - Poll and building preview
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »

Alchemy :) Milk toads for toadskin extract and farm some fancy mushrooms. Then take one for a positive effect, or both for a random effect. Dont think that the skill will be important though, its more like: Kobolds goes, Kobold eats, Kobold trippy now. Sees burning zombie elephants. Then nothing.

Workshops can burn down, yes, but the liquid is contained inside the workshop.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:55 pm »

Meph, I love what you are doing with all of this stuff.  I'd been planning on starting up a new community camp, but now I'm absolutely waiting for the first release of this.  Looks like a fantastic realization of a lot of long-wished for KC features.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2013, 06:51:54 pm »

Thank you. :) Initially I wanted to wait for Lagotrope, but nothing happens... so I make it myself.

I just made the Hexers Hut, you can make hexes (small chance) by "throwing the bones" and then hex a weapon, trap or stack of ammo with it. Madness hex, slow hex and sickness hex.

I also added cultivation of underground plant seeds to the shroomshop, because kobolds dont have access to them at embark (because no digging.) This way you can at least make some underground farms in your soil/clay.

Still need the witchers hut (the mage), the toadlicking (some kind of buff, probably speed/nofear).. most other stuff is done. Currently writing a first version of the manual.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:48 pm »

This all sounds fantastic.  I'm getting tons of ideas for things to do from a cultural point of view for kobolds.  I think my favorite plan is sending permanently injured kobolds off to hunt caravans for one last shot at glory.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »

A starting point for starsign based castes (females only so far, I figured you guys will have lots of input and changes so no point copypasting the males yet :) )  Totally untested obviously since I don't have the rest of the mod ;)

Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Combathardness power up interaction
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 07:53:09 pm »

AWESOME. The witcher easter eggs ^^ You even knew the Hexer translation, not bad... :)

I will add it as it is for now, except you would like to change anything before. I would add it and simply add the male version as well.

What I thought about: What about littersize? Kobolds giving birth to 2-4 kids at once, growing up within... half a year? one year ?

Edit: PS: I am not entierly sure about the swords for the witcher... with "no digging and no metals" and all that ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:55:30 pm by Meph »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:18 pm »

>> Edit: PS: I am not entierly sure about the swords for the witcher... with "no digging and no metals" and all that

Since you didn't mention otherwise I assume that seducing sorceresses is still in?

Seriously, I am interested to see what you are doing with the Witcher and Hexer castes, are they spellcasters?  Or are they adept at using certain workshops?  Both?

Oh by the way!...  note I didn't do CASTE_NAME because i didn't know what syntax to use.  Like, it's just your starsign, you might not actually go around introducing yourself as an "Eel Kobold"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:08:39 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13:03 pm »

I have no idea. :)

And I am a great supporter of the art of seducing sorceresses. But swords sound like melee, and Kobolds cant melee. The bodysize is 1/2 of a dwarf, and their best metal is... iron.

I really dont know yet, thats why I made this thread. Suggestions and Feedback welcome. I could totally see the Hexer transforming all your rats into epic-rat-demon dudes to swarm your enemy. Like a rat charmer or something. He should also be able to curse people, small effect with start:0, but no end. (I actually think thats a nice idea, he curses your Kobolds but buffs your rats.)

Witcher... nothing with fire. Aboveground wooden kobold camp + fire... no. If I could do undeads that would be great, but of course thats buggy as hell, with hostile zombies and fearful civilians. Any ideas on your end?

And CURSE YOU. When I wrote Witcher I thought of some kind of Warhammer style Witch Doctor, and now all I can see inside my weird brain is a small kobold, long white hair, reptile eyes, leather armor and two swords, who heroically steps into the fray... byronic hero style.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »

I actually when running a fort tend to continue using melee despite the fact that it's pretty god awful.  Sometimes a good spearbold can be an absolutely awesome thing.

I don't know if such a thing is feasible, but I could see kobolds wanting to use magic in some way to enchant their weaponry.  Perhaps taking totems (or perhaps bones to make it cost more) from their kills and risking them in some way to have a chance at improving a weapon?  I'm afraid my knowledge of modding is terribly simplistic.

Witchers can use machetes!  Those are kind of like swords!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:50 pm »

Here is an idea: rename witcher to Witch Doctor, make him super good at medical skills, and reduce learnrates for all other bolds on medical skills.  AND add some magic mambo jambo besides it. ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 08:25:54 pm »

But I already have weapon enchanting... with the hex. Slow/Sick/Madness affect on weapons, ammo or traps. (same for poisons, these work as well)

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:46 pm »

Oh!  Fantastic!  Yes you do!  Sometimes I'm not a very good reader!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:38 pm »

Maybe, one of the Hexer's trap poisons make enemies weak to cobalt metal

Some rare or advanced reaction is a possible source of cobalt

Have the Witcher be well suited to wield the rare and slightly powerful cobalt machete
* Can drink potions/vapors that make him halfway reasonable in combat for 1 week, but exhausted for the ~1 to 3 weeks that follow
* Can use combat magics to debuff enemies, but only at short range (5 to 10 tiles)
* Learns more powerful combat hexes as he becomes hardened using Deon's thing
* After all this careful preparation he still gets stomped by a badger
* LOL

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »

Well, I will add your castes next.

Then add this:
ANGER Not prone to becoming enraged or throwing tantrums
VULNERABILITY Less susceptible to unhappy thoughts
DEPRESSION  Less likely to be stricken by melancholy.

And increaase the litter size. No need for good melee fighters, if you can throw away a lot of them. :)

EDIT: Yeah, Embark Profiles are done. And maybe 30% of the manual.

The Ogre

Your Kobolds have only a few skills and you have next to no items with you. A shovel, an axe, some meat and some woodstalk seeds. Thats it. Trustworthy pets only include 1 shalswar to hunt vermin and 3 jack rats.... but... your starting seven do have company. A mighty ogre protects your camp.

The Rat Shepard

You have some standard gear, a shovel and axe, food and seeds... and a strange guy with a harmonica. He brought his pets, 25 jack rats. Thats at least 100 jack rats after a year. And about 400 after two years. If you survive that long you will be swimming in meat. You also have cave beetles for chitin, shalswars to hunt vermin and dogs. Someone has to shepard the rat herd.

The Brave Bold

A bloodsteel machete. A legendary item handed down from generation to generation. It will be the best weapon your kobolds will ever see. Your kobold hero with skills in swordfight and dodging should use it well. Besides your priceless artefact you have standard gear with you, meat, seeds, an axe... but no shovel. No dirt digging for the brave bold.

Hunting Party

1 axe, 1 shovel, 5 slings. Everyone is armed. Its not much, but at least you can start capturing the caves early. Recommended if you start on a cave and want to settle the first cavern. You have 50 shots and 30 units of leather for armor and quiver. Good luck.

Traps, Webs and Doom

Your mechanics and carpenters carry a small supply of rusty iron bars and coal. Besides your shovel and your axe, your best weapon is defense. 4 trap spiders acompany you and are ready to web your traps. Wall yourself in with your meat, drink and rats.

Hypno Toad

A relatively normal embark, food, drink, seeds, shovel, axe. Shalswars to hunt, jack rats to be eaten... and a lot of wood to build a quick fort. Your kobold tribe has been entrusted with a psychoactive toad. Guard it well. And lick it. I dare you. I double dare you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:42:19 pm by Meph »

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »

Yes yes yes and yes x 100.

You and Smak are fantastic.

I LOVE the concept of them being born under signs. I think that you could create a staff weapon with festive head at the end for blunt attacks(terrible of course) and our magically affiliated could use them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14