Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Mewgenics - Cats! SCIENCE?! Adventure!.....The cats came back 10 years later.  (Read 29953 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mewgenics - Crazy Cat Lady Simulator from Team Meat
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »

Eh, did they add in specifically detailed cats with minor differences?  Or is that just the estimation of the random variable kitty generator they built up?

I'm thinking the latter.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »

According to the RPS article, there are approximately 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 cats in the system so far. Dat's a lot of kitties, enough to ensure you won't encounter duplicates for a long, long time.

Too bad the vast majority of those differences will be insignificant.

I hate when they list those numbers because it is just outright dishonest because they KNOW how people will react to it.

Otherwise this game looks fine to a certain extent if a bit too "Kitten Mill" for my taste. Which is kinda what this feels more like, you are running a Kitten Mill at your house.

Well, I'm *so* glad it meets your mild disapproval.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 02:20:24 pm »

Well, I'm *so* glad it meets your mild disapproval

How would you know this is a good game if I didn't mildly dislike it?

It is practically a seal of quality.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 02:24:00 pm »

So the game is about herding cats... and the developers are called Team Meat...
All dorfs to your butcher workshops!
There is work to do...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 02:30:24 pm »

Neonivek is right about the combinations though.  Most games like advertising that, but its pretty easy to come up with a generator that has that many or more combinations.

Its just that most of the variables are minor and don't really matter.

Its like in borderlands with its trillions of combinations of guns I swear I keep seeing the exact same Vladof revolvers with plus or minus 0.1 accuracy.

Even if we take something like color gradient of the cat's hair, I can get up to  414,356,272,512 combinations if I'm doing a 2 color gradient and a normal computer color palette.

Edit:  Fixed number.  Forgot order doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:45:22 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »

Are there even 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 different possibilities of valid cat genomes IRL?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 03:01:09 pm »

Are there even 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 different possibilities of valid cat genomes IRL?

Well first of all you add in every Gene that handles hair color, then size, then ear size, then genetic defects, then a few for disposition and personality, as well cats can crossbreed with other felines so you have to add them, plus random mutations, AND viral infection.

I am going to go with absolutely.

Plus you forget that this game likely won't make ALL the differences physical. A lot of that is also personality. (also don't forget that male and female is a difference)

If each cat can have four traits from a pool of 20... and these traits can be in any order OR double. You get a lot of extra numbers. Yet let us add names too because that is a variable as well that can make cats differ.

Hair with up to three colors, Eyes with two types with their own colors (Two of the same and two different colors), Nose and paw color. A lot just here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:06:10 pm by Neonivek »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 03:04:26 pm »

Remember: you can't spell GCAT without CAT.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:56 pm »

It actually sounds a lot like a cat-themed, grim-humoured version of Creatures. They seem to have learned behaviours, a genetics system, and possibly other things the creatures series used to great effect.

I'm pretty curious to see how it turns out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 03:07:57 pm »

I am a bit surprised one of the cats were "Crying" that isn't the term I'd use for a cat since it doesn't describe what the cat is doing.

For anyone who has had a cat, they tend to have multiple types of cries. You can often tell the difference between them.

and cats do not "Cry" because they are sad so to speak.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:12:53 pm by Neonivek »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 03:23:15 pm »

As mentioned in the official announcement article that number is for just the combinations of the parts that make them up, not the stats or personalities.

The current number of cats in Mew-Genics is....
25418658283290000000000000 (and growing)

and that's just the foundation of their visual aspects, this doesn't count their kitten states, sizes, animation sets, stats, personality, etc.

It looks like each cat is made up of about 10 pieces, so how many parts does each category need to have for that many combinations?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:49 pm »

Well let me see....

Over 25 variations on parts per category.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »

triachnid

That was Team Meat? That game was, and still is, one of my all-time favourite flash games. Also introduced me to one of my favourite bands!

Also holy nutsacks I want this game so hard. It's like someone took the cat > butcher mechanic of DF and expanded on it to the point of hilarity
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »

I found 5 mappings of a cat genome, ranging from 2,797,080,000 bp to 3,374,100,000 bp. That would leave you with at least 4^#number of bp different genomes, which is much larger than 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 . Though you should note that a lot of these differences wouldn't lead to differences in phenotype. The number of genes or Open Reading Frames would be better to make an estimated guess about the amount of different possibilities, but I couldn't find any numbers for these and even then you proablby would have to exclude the typcial houshold genes.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 03:42:34 pm »

I think what he used was: log10(25418658283290000000000000) = ~25.4051  (the decimal meaning there's an uneven variation of parts)

I'm so proud of myself right now for knowing how to work that one out.

triachnid

That was Team Meat? That game was, and still is, one of my all-time favourite flash games. Also introduced me to one of my favourite bands!

Also holy nutsacks I want this game so hard. It's like someone took the cat > butcher mechanic of DF and expanded on it to the point of hilarity
Sort of, it was Edmund McMillen (the main art style guy behind all of this), working with Florian Himsl (who has worked on the binding of isaac and other games). Tommy Refenes (the other main member of Team Meat) didn't work on Triachnid as far as I know.

I'm really kind of hoping the Triachnid 2 comes out of it's stalled development sometime soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13