Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210571 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2370 on: June 02, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »

Funfact. Arty shells are 105 mm.
Same as the ones used on the stug and sherman.

And don't use a joystick in war thunder unless you fly simulator battles. Keyboard and mouse are just superior in both arcade and realistic.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: June 02, 2015, 05:42:13 pm »

And don't use a joystick in war thunder unless you fly simulator battles. Keyboard and mouse are just superior in both arcade and realistic.

So I am learning... why is it so much easier to aim with a mouse???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: June 02, 2015, 05:44:24 pm »

I think Urist is the first person ever to call WT less grindy than WoT.

(also mouse aiming allows you to aim like you would in a regular FPS while the joystick is kinda like trying to aim the same FPS but with a joystick)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: June 02, 2015, 05:45:45 pm »

Joystick technically gives you a great deal more control over the airplane. The mouse-aim system's AI is extremely good at keeping the plane airborne (assuming the airframe isn't too damaged, at least), but it's not very good at stunt flying.

Unfortunately, by using the joystick, you give up the AI which is extremely good at keeping the plane airborne, and it's also harder to get the precision to shoot at a target as joystick controls tend to be a little bit more jerky than the mouse-aim point-and-click system.
Nothing important here, move along.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: June 02, 2015, 05:49:54 pm »

Indeed, actually I dont mind bombing with the joystick, the maneuverability helps a lot in dodging those edgy fighters, but it really is untenable for aiming.

@Jopax, mind you it IS grindy, but that's okay because frankly almost all tiers are fun as hell, except for the starter planes, biplanes be damned! Also, I may or may not have won the 30% increased research booster for a day...
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: June 03, 2015, 01:50:23 am »

EDIT: Also, i'm reeeaaalllyyy bad at flying. I mean I can't hit a thing. I can't tell if I don't have my joystick set up properly, i'm bad with a joystick, or i'm just bad at flying, but wow I can't even do the tutorials sometimes.

Play mouseaim ?

I don't know about wot but Tier IV planes is starting to be really, really grindy.

The module grind is honestly worse than the plane grind at tier IV because you usually start with shitty non-developed planes as well.

But having a large amount of mineshell MG151's/mineshell MK103's IS worth the grind, I believe.

except for the starter planes, biplanes be damned!

Biplane turnfighting is fun, no. Also derpy, considering there are either sealclubbers or n00bs on the reserve biplane tier.

It's even more fun dogfighting Yak-1's and killing them.

Also it teaches you how to aim considering you fire cooked rice for bullets. Although I hear that 7.7mm is now good ?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:09:59 am by Naryar »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 03, 2015, 02:32:49 am »

he 7.7 is crap but you can get lucky kills. But unless you are shooting a biplane or get a pilot hit you will really have to expend a LOT of bullets.
Of course unless you have the italian biplane with dual 50 cals and incendiary ammo.
Self promotion below.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 03, 2015, 03:00:40 am »

I don't know about wot but Tier IV planes is starting to be really, really grindy.

The module grind is honestly worse than the plane grind at tier IV because you usually start with shitty non-developed planes as well.

But having a large amount of mineshell MG151's/mineshell MK103's IS worth the grind, I believe.

WoT is a degree more grindy than WT, especially for casuals like me. I've been standing over 110, M4 (french heavy version) and Tiger I for what, half an year now? First due to loong exping (still 3k away from centurion, dammit), now due to shortage of cash... And I think (and it's as far as tanks go) the grind feels longer in WoT due the fact that there's very few tanks that can do shit in battles of their tier when vanilla, or even historical equipment. WoT grind has one migitating factor though in relation to WT; you aren't forced to fight tanks beyond your actual tier. Say you have 2 tanks of t4 and two of t5, and buy freshly researched t6? In WoT, you'll face tiers according to tank you choose, in WT you'd face tanks according to BR of that t6.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 03, 2015, 03:02:13 am »

I'm honestly really hating the default ammunition for german 20mm guns. And also the fact that Bf109s have battle ratings set around their completed loadout, so before you spade your plane you're basically overtiered.

he 7.7 is crap but you can get lucky kills. But unless you are shooting a biplane or get a pilot hit you will really have to expend a LOT of bullets.

Play the typhoon mk1a (12x7.7mm) and load tracer rounds, laugh hysterically every time you get a kill.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:15 am »

>br
>me410 A1/U2 : br 4
>B1/U2: change 2 7.7mm's to 2 13mm's
>no better motors, no better performance
>br increased by 1

what

Meanwhile the Me410 U4 version is well tiered. Simple increasing on motor power on a plane that is already hard to fly and get kills in => 0.3 br.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 03, 2015, 09:20:57 am »

WoT is a degree more grindy than WT, especially for casuals like me. I've been standing over 110, M4 (french heavy version) and Tiger I for what, half an year now? First due to loong exping (still 3k away from centurion, dammit), now due to shortage of cash... And I think (and it's as far as tanks go) the grind feels longer in WoT due the fact that there's very few tanks that can do shit in battles of their tier when vanilla, or even historical equipment. WoT grind has one migitating factor though in relation to WT; you aren't forced to fight tanks beyond your actual tier. Say you have 2 tanks of t4 and two of t5, and buy freshly researched t6? In WoT, you'll face tiers according to tank you choose, in WT you'd face tanks according to BR of that t6.

I think its the other way around - in WoT one can at least grind the modules fairly quickly(below tier 9 any way, just a couple of games per module) or by accumulating free XP... And once you unlock something shared by multiple tanks, its unlocked for them all. Also, often there is no need to grind more than 1, max 2 modules before being able to unlock and mount the best gun, where WT forces players to unlock all kinds of useless crap before they even get fire extinguisher and APCR for tanks or engine and ammo belts for planes.  ::)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 03, 2015, 09:38:43 am »

The Tiger 1 E says hello.
36k experience to research APCR ammo it desperately needs.

It's not as bad nowdays with the pen buff but before having 130 pen against the IS3's you sometimes met was [REDACTED].
Self promotion below.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 24, 2015, 04:05:50 am »

So. Playing drunk thunder today. Imma try grinding all the way through the P47, maybe the second one (lately got the early P51).

Will post experiences and failures in this post.

first fight : P51, got shot down by i don't remember the plane while BnZing some lawnmowers. Huh. American planes are no longer tough it appears.
then Hellcat. Got 3 kills, a few by bnz and a few by turnfighting (yes really). Pretty happy.
bring out my havoc, some yak headons me. thinks he outguns me ahahahaha

headon happens, yak on fire, avoid him, and he dies due to being on fire. (Good to see that this yak wasn't overly resistant to fires).
Then battle ends. 4 kills ain't bad.

second fight : shitty. at least i got 80K lions with a battle trophy. got shot down, killed 1 plane in total.

third fight : 3 kills. 2 of them were P51 BnZ kills. it seems to be really a nice plane at BR 3.7 with the firepower if you BnZ properly. Kinda glad all them BR 3.0 heavy firepower planes got up-BR'd.

fourth fight: one kill, nothing really interesting

fifth fight: three kills, don't even remember how i got themm

it's not relevant really
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:23:27 am by Naryar »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:18 am »

Is there a way to see the costs of repairing vehicles/resupplying ammo? Is there a cost?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 24, 2015, 11:26:39 am »

Yeah there is. It's more expensive as you go into RB or SB.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 163