Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210645 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2265 on: May 02, 2015, 08:27:18 am »

Also using real money to balance gameplay as a barrier is just garbage marketing...but I am sure they are making tons of money on it...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 02, 2015, 08:44:10 am »

You can. The cockpit has a fully simulated artificial horizon, it's just kind of hard to read.

Usually however those have no dial/scale whatsoever. Usually the angle is kinda worthless and for optimizing climb speed a pilot wants to use indicated airspeed instead. Theres no other way than memorizing the optimal speed for best rate of climb for each plane and knowing the altitude for best level top speed(roughly above which the speed for best roc starts to become lower).

And of course flying a plane that has the variometer that doesnt go off the scale when climbing normally. Fw 190 is one of them...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:04 am »

Honestly, I dont think the Calliope should be event only. I do think it should be limited to events untill every nation has a comparible vehicle. For instance, the russians had atleast two similar vehicles, one mounted on KVs and another mounted on the T-70. The T-70 one only had four rockets though, so... Also, they apparently mounted some on the T-40. The germans mounted some rockets on various trailers and halftracks, the english mounted two rockets on some shermans...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 02, 2015, 10:36:36 am »

I'd love to see an event where everybody got a Calliope.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 02, 2015, 10:40:33 am »

With or without aircraft?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 02, 2015, 12:41:12 pm »

Aircraft-mounted Calliopes, of course.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 02, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »

Dont use any "angle" for best rate of climb, but indicated airspeed. AFAIK you cant view the angle in simulation mode, too...

I recently unlocked engine injection on my Spitfire LF. Mk IX, so that's why they call it the "spacefire" ... I can (in arcade mode) climb at 20 degrees and GAIN speed while doing it...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 02, 2015, 01:55:45 pm »

Dont use any "angle" for best rate of climb, but indicated airspeed. AFAIK you cant view the angle in simulation mode, too...

I recently unlocked engine injection on my Spitfire LF. Mk IX, so that's why they call it the "spacefire" ... I can (in arcade mode) climb at 20 degrees and GAIN speed while doing it...

Oh you should see that in WW2OL/Battleground Europe - it can keep 6+ G turn (enough for complete black out), keep it indefinitely AND gain altitude simultaneously.

I like the cut-wing Spitfires myself, finding the rate of roll for the others too lacking. Flew the LF Mk. XII CW a week or two back, managed to bag a 109 and hit a 190 somewhere off the coast near Calais and bug out - the rest of them couldnt catch me in any reasonable time and gave up when I reached Dover. Fortunately for the Luftwaffe, the XII is only fast at low altitudes...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:11:01 pm by Erkki »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 02, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »

Oh you should see that in WW2OL/Battleground Europe - it can keep 6+ G turn (enough for complete black out), keep it indefinitely AND gain altitude simultaneously.

I like the cut-wing Spitfires myself, finding the rate of roll for the others too lacking. Flew the LF Mk. XII CW a week or two back, managed to bag a 109 and hit a 190 somewhere off the coast near Calais and bug out - the rest of them couldnt catch me in any reasonable time and gave up when I reached Dover. Fortunately for the Luftwaffe, the XII is only fast at...

The cut-wing spitfire is a lot of fun, it just feels really good to fly, I intend to keep it for quite some time (busy unlocking the last two griffon spits and tempests and that entire new juicy line of fighters that were just released).

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 02, 2015, 05:04:19 pm »

It is a fun plane. Still haven't spaded it as I'm working on the Griffons and the FAA now.

The cut-wing spitfire is a lot of fun, it just feels really good to fly, I intend to keep it for quite some time (busy unlocking the last two griffon spits and tempests and that entire new juicy line of fighters that were just released).

The Mk XVI is one of my favourite planes.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 02, 2015, 05:18:23 pm »

Aircraft-mounted Calliopes, of course.
I think those are called IL2 but are Soviet only.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 02, 2015, 07:46:10 pm »

Why couldn't they make one of these?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 02, 2015, 08:12:26 pm »

They made the American version of that. Although, I really, really want the t-70 variant of that.

Also, I was talking about just normal cantaloupes (Thats what Im calling them now. As in the fruit.) against aircraft. Because they have no AA weaponry besides those rockets or hitting it with its gun.
Highly Opinionated Fool

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 02, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »

The Germans really didn't have a good equivalent to the Katyusha. Personally, I'd love to see the lineage of weapons like the StuH that's in the game now, maybe up to the Sturmtiger. The Germans mounted some really insane guns on those things.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 02, 2015, 09:03:21 pm »

So in one of my games (i recently got the panther. So happy!) a bomber flew by and droped a thing.
The thing promptly went boom and somehow didn't kill me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pitty WT does not count those giant craters as real objects. WOuld be fun if large explosives could deform the terrain like that.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 163