Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210749 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2145 on: March 11, 2015, 12:12:45 am »

Only play AB if you need a laugh.
Or if you need RP.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 11, 2015, 12:20:08 am »

True. Some AB matches end before you could have finished climbing in RB.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 11, 2015, 02:19:58 am »

There are other gems such as bombers dogfighting each other.

Though honestly i play my B25 as a heavy fighter occasionally.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:11 am »

I play the DO as a heavy fighter constantly. 2 20 mm cannons up front is a major boon for this thing.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:14 pm »

I play the DO as a heavy fighter constantly. 2 20 mm cannons up front is a major boon for this thing.

you mean the second tier 3 bomber with the turret MG/FF and the static MG151 ? eh. I play the first dornier bomber occasionally, but it's just fighter bait.

And you can't escape either.

but yea i am increasingly taking a liking to fighter-attackers and fighter-bombers.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 11, 2015, 04:29:39 pm »

Well i use it more as a bomber hunter. the 2 20 mm are good enough against them and the gunner up front sometimes lands lucky hits.
And of course it starts higher than fighters in arcade... and up in the air in realistic.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 15, 2015, 11:01:24 pm »

I've just gotten the Tempest V, and I'm less than impressed. Not even that fast, and unmaneuverable.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:22 am »

Fuck you, airacobras. I'm just trying to level up my dornier.

Seriously, it may be better than the He111 but the He111 is just a tier 2/3 reminder of the pit of tier 1/2 german pain. Except times ten.

It DOES have some good point, aka bombload (when fully, painstakingly upgraded), frontal weapons (when having researched air targets and ANOTHER dornier which I need to equally painfully grind), speed and dive.

Climbrate ? No. Toughness ? haha no you just get killed by anything and everything. Defensive guns ? Are you kidding me ? 'murricans have better ones at tier 1.

And at one point I thought the dornier was good. It's only *relatively* good, apparently. Why does germany has a bomber line even ? the stukas are fun, the Ju88 is very nice for a tier II I II (it was FINE at tier II), and the spaviero is also fun but it's kinda slow for what it is. I think i may buy the S1939/L just to go play tier II again and pad up my stuka kills.

At least I suppose i'm not flying a wellington ? heh. Apparently the only good bombers are all the american ones, the H6K4 and the G8N1.

Also. Airacobra hate. Hell even the yak9's don't get 4 murrican MG's in addition to the 37mm gun.

Never mind that the russkies get like a half dozen of PREMIUM cobras, so everyone spams them.

Tier III is Yak Thunder. Or Cobra Thunder, depending on which server you're playing.

And I am trying to upgrade the B6/R3 (doable because it's decent when stock), A1/U4 (also doable, mostly) and the A5/U2 (is it masochism ? I don't even know).

tl;dr Bring back the toughness of heavy fighters/bombers before 1.41. Seriously, the only thing heavy fighters have now for them is weaponry. B17 may have been invulnerable back then but now they nerfed it to oblivion and it's weak.

Meanwhile, havoc is still made of freedom steel and tanks hits like a champ. (I'm not complaining about that honestly: It does need that, considering it's always being low and being a giant fire magnet)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:02:26 am by Naryar »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 16, 2015, 02:41:10 pm »

So, I've been playing this now with some people, mostly on Tanks. PM me if you want Ruskin's teamspeak IP.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 16, 2015, 07:45:48 pm »

Don't forget the Beaufighter and IL-2 in your ranting. Both can still out-turn the Thunderbolt, which not even the Havoc can do anymore.

As for toughness, we're probably never going to see the bombers be worth a damn ever again. The majority of the players seem to like the easy targets far too much.
Nothing important here, move along.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:38 am »

-snip-

A. You haven't even flown the Jelly Welly. You don't know pain. Although I did kill an F8F in one yesterday. Lesson here, kiddies, is don't sit 50ft behind 4 guns, even if they are 7.7mms.

B. The guns on the Cobras are really shit, and they can't turn for shit, either. Once you dodge their first attack you can usually take them because people that fly low-tier Americans can't actually fly.

C. Yaks are death. I know. I fucking hate getting [Alternate History] maps.

Don't forget the Beaufighter and IL-2 in your ranting. Both can still out-turn the Thunderbolt, which not even the Havoc can do anymore.

I miss my OPfighter. Those were the days.

As for toughness, we're probably never going to see the bombers be worth a damn ever again. The majority of the players seem to like the easy targets far too much.

As they should be. I played through the height of the B-17 spam, and it was horrible. I never want to see the flotillas of gunshippers again.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 17, 2015, 04:50:13 pm »

Yeah, I can't help but wonder if people who whine about the various 'cobras have ever actually flown them. They're very limited in terms of how you can play them, and the cannons are wonky as fuck. Slow-firing and their shells go all over the sky even with really good crew skills, so if you don't get lucky with your initial 1-2 shots you have to zoom off and come back a couple minutes later for another try. And since they're so quick to overheat, you don't even get to use those MGs if you've got your guns linked.

That said, they're arcade terrors since you can get up into ludicrous speed for your zooms away, 700+kph, sufficient that even UFO-physics fighters can't catch you, and those meaty cannons are just about the only thing that'll kill arcade-durability bombers and attackers quickly. You just can't climb immediately after a run, or one of those turn-fighters in the furball will ignore physics and follow you 2km straight up from near-zero starting energy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 17, 2015, 07:35:17 pm »

The cobras are definitely not the scariest planes in Realistic. They're certainly not bad, being quite maneuverable and good at most forms of aerial combat, but the 37mm guns are basically useless unless you get lucky or have really, really good aiming skills and a touch of precognition to boot, or you're shooting at a heavy bomber from 100 meters away. The .50 caliber guns are decent with an array of 4, but they really don't stack up to any of the other guns and/or gun arrays you might face.
Nothing important here, move along.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 18, 2015, 07:28:57 am »

Just bind small and higher caliber guns to different buttons.
Hold off on the 37mm's until you're as close as you think you can get and still get off all the accurate shots in time.

Oh and look into vertical targeting. The higher you set your convergence distance the more upward deflection you get for the slower projectiles. The angle on the large caliber guns makes it a lot easier to lead the target in situations where you can't follow their turns if you've rolled the plane to match the target.
For nose mounted guns like on a P-38 the convergence doesnt have any negative effects.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 19, 2015, 03:24:59 pm »

Oh, I stand by what I said. In arcade, when you are in a bomber... any bomber even the good ones... there is no escaping cobras. Climbing ? It climbs better than you. Diving ? The same.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 163