Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210916 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1920 on: February 03, 2015, 02:32:51 am »

The Tiger and the IS-1 have the same BR, and the Tiger is in the middle of Tier III in research. It supposedly minimums out against the T-34-57 and the SU-85. The 85 can penetrate the front of a Tiger at a click out with standard ammo, and the 57 can pen at 500 meters with upgraded ammo. The side armor can be easily penned by both of them from a click out with standard ammo. Don't blame the vehicle's placement, blame a blatantly broken matchmaker, or if you're facing it where you're supposed to, figure out what you're doing wrong when engaging Tigers.
Nothing important here, move along.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 03, 2015, 08:42:20 am »

Yeah tiger are if anything at disadvantage in most maps, facing 122s at short range. There are only a couple flat map where they are op but for the most time we play in hills and forest

If you are engaging tigers at long range, you're doing it wrong and you only have to blame your tactical decisions. At short range everything penetrates everyone else and tiger with their slow traverse address just deathtraps

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:52 am »

To be honest when i unlocked my IS-1 and realized i'd start seeing IS-2's that basically have enough penetration to do whatever with my shoddy IS-1 i jsut said nope and went back to the KV-85.

I suspect it will be the same deal if not worse with the tiger. I assume that in arcade ths poor thing is utterly unplayable with guided 122 mm shells flying around. penetrating it without problems at 1000 meters and well beyond.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: February 03, 2015, 11:50:22 am »

Yeah tiger are if anything at disadvantage in most maps, facing 122s at short range. There are only a couple flat map where they are op but for the most time we play in hills and forest

If you are engaging tigers at long range, you're doing it wrong and you only have to blame your tactical decisions. At short range everything penetrates everyone else and tiger with their slow traverse address just deathtraps
I love the kneejerk "lrn 2 play noob" response.  ::)

I'm not engaging Tigers period. I get killed by them from five, six map grids away before I can close to engage, thank you very much. As I said, one or two Tigers on a map is a challenge, but not insurmountable. Facing an entire team of them at the outset of the match is just a massacre.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 03, 2015, 12:56:32 pm »

If you keep getting Kursk, I could understand the frustration, but being unable to keep yourself out of harm's way until you get to safe engagement distances on just about any other map is not hard. Yes, there are plenty of other places with wide open terrain, but the other maps also have lots of areas with hills, gulches, houses, and other terrain to put between yourself and the enemy. Even Kursk has places where you can sneak around and flank, though they're a bit more sparse and harder to pull off. Also, if you really have no choice but to get in the firing line of a Tiger, remember that you're a lot harder to hit when you're moving laterally to them. Snake towards them, or don't even snake if you have cover to run to.

The Tiger is perfectly defeatable, especially when you keep in mind most of the Tiger players are probably not terribly creative, or even smart. Keep in mind the normal flow of traffic in a map and avoid it until you're set to start shooting.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: February 03, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »

The Tiger is scary if played well.

The other day, I played my premium T-34-57 in that RB event thingy without the markers. We got that one city map with three caps with two rivers running across the map and joining in the middle. The other team had a tiger which kept murdering everything, mostly because the fucker could oneshot anything we had and was good enough to pretty much always the the first shot in, and if not he would shrug off a shot or two before obliterating whatever was bothering him.

I finally managed to kill him with my second spawn when I used two friendly idiots as a distraction and flanked him. He still took two fires and like five shots in the ass/sides before burning to death, and even then he managed to turn his turret and kill me with his second shot.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 03, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »

Were you aiming for the ammo racks? Tigers have huge ammo racks on the sides of the tank.

Keep in mind that, even if you don't own a certain tank, you can always use the Preview option to look at its armor/modules. I've driven Tigers a lot (and faced them a fair few times, too), they go up like Christmas trees if you manage to hit the ammo.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:22 pm »

yeah, that's why people keep shooting at sides even engaging from front; I started to carry less ammo as result.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it's not kneejerk. tigers are extremely strong in open fields, but in a city or on a hilly terrain where you can close the distance they pop like air balloons and the super slow traverse make them laughably vulnerable alone.

and if you are facing a couple tigers alone, you lost because your team, not because tiger's op.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 03, 2015, 02:27:09 pm »

He still took two fires and like five shots in the ass/sides before burning to death, and even then he managed to turn his turret and kill me with his second shot.

Sounds like the M4 to German 5 cm and 7,5 cm guns. Half a dozen penned hits and possibly its almost fully operational with just 1 or 2 dead crewmen... I think I've one-shot a Sherman only 3 or 4 times, and I know all of its crewmen and modules by heart already.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 03, 2015, 02:57:58 pm »

Oh I know of the ammoracks, I drive  a Tiger myself and have died a few times like that. The problem is that at the range of some 300-ish meters and being at a 45-ish degree angle from me (he started turning once I hit him) I could pen the sides only with APCR which can't really detonate the ammo outright.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: February 03, 2015, 06:34:21 pm »

Here's what I do: I don't use APCR.

I don't ever use APCR.

It's not because APCR isn't good, of course... but it's because APCR isn't good. All the penetration in the world isn't worth the lack of damage. I only ever use explosive-filled shells, really, because most other shell types can't do significant harm to a target at all.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 03, 2015, 06:44:24 pm »

The issue with APCR is that most of the time it over penetrates. Goes straight through them, only damaging what it hits. If there is enough armor for it to be trapped inside it has fun bouncing about, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 03, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »

I'm amazed the Arado hasn't been lowered to Tier One yet. I mean, people ramming practically 95% of the time they fly out should overcome any bombing points.

I wonder if Gaijin has stats on how many kills people have scored in the Arado.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:49 pm »

Personally i tend to use APCR if it can penetrate. Most (german at least) APHE shells are firecrackers.
I put a shell into the enemy turret it explodes inside and whoop dee freaking doo the enemy gunner commander and loader are now green... maybe stunned and yellow at the very best.

And its the same shit with everything getting worse with tanks that have sparse modules (Shermans or the Lee) where the sparkles spread out so much you can throw them like popcorn and NOTHING HAPPENS. The enemy crew eats the shrapnel like pros.

APCR shells on the other hand tend to at least destroy what they hit.

Also american fighters are tat.
I had more luck killing things in the B-25 than the damned mustang. At least the bomber starts higher so i can attack other bombers and some fighters that try going head on.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: February 03, 2015, 10:55:24 pm »

I've never had a problem with even German APHE. Yeah, it's weak, but it has better penetration than its peers and generally has better sensitivity, so it usually explodes about where I want it to. I always aim for modules, though. Turret ring, ammo rack, engine if I'm desperate. I've seen too many damn projectiles, both solid shot and explosive, manage to go right through crew members and not kill them. I think Gaijin fucked up crew damage calculations completely, but that's neither here nor there. What's important is that APHE actually causes ammo racks to explode, and ammo racks exploding is the only reliable way to ensure a one-shot kill. Otherwise, disabling the enemy gun is the most important thing you can do, and... well, APHE is good at that, too.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 163