Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211061 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1635 on: November 09, 2014, 11:45:35 am »

See, that's fucked up.  You want to play a shitty version of the thing you just unlocked because you like the idea of having your performance arbitrarily gated?

Because it's a Pavlovian mechanic. It gives me 'rewards' to feel excited about in between the larger rewards.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 09, 2014, 11:57:30 am »

I remember when playing a game was its own reward.
Shoes...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 09, 2014, 12:29:06 pm »

See, that's fucked up.  You want to play a shitty version of the thing you just unlocked because you like the idea of having your performance arbitrarily gated?
I don't consciently want to. But to be honest, Pavlovian mechanics are what keep a lot of people playing.

I remember when playing a game was its own reward.
Sadly, science has found out that Pavlovian mechanics, and worse, Skinnerian mechanics greatly increase time and funds spend by people.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 09, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

The only thing that really infuriates me about the upgrade system is that some planes start out nearly incapable without taking extraordinary measures and have to be upgraded to a point where they're actually competitive while others you can take fresh out of the hangar and perform decently with them, and the upgrades are only a bonus.

Otherwise, I'm not really that concerned about it. The fact that you also get supplementary RP for your next plane whenever you complete a tier (which, IIRC, didn't happen with the old upgrade system) is a nice touch, even if the supplementary RP isn't necessarily that much. It is, at least, a bit of an incentive to play your vehicle to completion.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 09, 2014, 06:40:20 pm »

I finally threw my hands up at T4.  Went back to T2 and T3 for now, I'd rather take a long time to unlock the D9 while having fun than unlock the D9 quickly having a shitty time.

A-4 KDR is 15:4, Muricans jetting tears hard enough to cut concrete.  I figure it's decent practice for the Dora and Ta, considering getting a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro to replace my aging (and never all that good to begin with really) Saitek AV8R.  Anybody who's used the 3d Pro got any opinions?  It seems pretty popular.  The AV8R has a crazy-ass spring that makes it snap to neutral and flop around and it's so light it's hard to keep it level while you're fighting the spring.

I'd be giving up mouseaim accuracy but it's a higher form of existence and I'm tired of dealing with wobble/keyboard controls.  Especially the Fw 190 it's hard to take advantage of the awesome roll rate on kbam and that leads to overshoots and missed opportunities.
Shoes...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 09, 2014, 06:44:54 pm »

All the buttons are on the same side? I guess they did learn from the Attack 3.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:12 pm »

I don't get why I keep getting put up on the higher end of my BRs. I'm not a particularly good pilot.

Unless my tank record affects my planes. Does anyone know if that's the case? Because lord knows I slaughter in tanks most of the time.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 10, 2014, 07:20:35 pm »

That's a nice K/D ratio in there... is it vastly overpowered or do silly murricans do not climb and therefore are the easiest BnZ targets ever ?

also i see I am including the barrel roll into my energy fighting/BnZ. I try to do split-S's and classic immelmans but it doesn't seem to help.

Also defensive spiral is my favorite only attempt at defense... and it doesn't work :P

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 10, 2014, 08:00:14 pm »

A lot of Americans do tend to either lawnmow or climb straight-on with planes that really aren't built for climbing fast. On top of that, many Americans don't know the optimal climb speeds of their planes and so don't climb as fast as they could.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 10, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »

It's both, really.  It's not super overpowered (As said before, it's identical performance-wise to the A-5 but the A-5 fights Mustangs and Bearcats while the A-4 fights hurricanes, early spits, Yak-1s, and the like.  You know, the planes the actual A-4 fought.

It clubs, but it's historically accurate clubbing 8)

And yeah, a lot of it is Muricans being bad.  Murican planes are slow climbers and bad Murican players don't climb optimally if they climb at all, so when they do climb it's common for the fast 109s and even 190s if they're really bad to catch them at low energy in their climb.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:04:28 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 11, 2014, 08:56:54 am »

...considering getting a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro to replace my aging (and never all that good to begin with really) Saitek AV8R.  Anybody who's used the 3d Pro got any opinions?  It seems pretty popular.  The AV8R has a crazy-ass spring that makes it snap to neutral and flop around and it's so light it's hard to keep it level while you're fighting the spring.

I've no experience of that joystick in particular, but I've never had that much faith in Logitech (going from their high end joysticks).

A cheap (ish, still a fair bit more than the Extreme 3D Pro) joystick that gets a lot of love from simmers is the Thrustmaster T16000M http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415713341&sr=8-1&keywords=thrustmaster+t16000m

Supposedly silly accurate due to the hall effect sensors.

My current setup is somewhat over the top, but I use it for a host of flight/space/stompy robot sims:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:08:48 am by SquidgyB »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 13, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »

Well, I just found out something really interesting.

I'm probably the last person ever to actually put it together, but just in case there's someone else out there who hasn't figured it out yet, buying all the parts for a vehicle makes it count as two for the purposes of advancing ranks.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:55 pm »

Well, I just found out something really interesting.

I'm probably the last person ever to actually put it together, but just in case there's someone else out there who hasn't figured it out yet, buying all the parts for a vehicle makes it count as two for the purposes of advancing ranks.

Wait, what are you talking about here?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 13, 2014, 08:34:44 pm »

You know how if you manage to purchase all the upgrade modules (repaired parts, new guns/ammo, bomb carriers, etc.) you get the little spade thingy by your aircraft or tank's tier?

And you know how you have to have a certain number of planes/tanks in one tier to move on to the next tier?

Well, if your plane or tank has the little spade, it means that the plane or tank counts as two planes or tanks for the purposes of moving up to the next tier.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 13, 2014, 08:47:20 pm »

WOW, i actually had no idea, not that it matters in planes by this point but this will help me shoot russians better with tanks, thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 163