Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210765 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1455 on: September 19, 2014, 11:43:34 pm »

I can't go back and reconfigure everything because I don't know what is broken that needs to be reconfigured.

Simplified made it even worse actually.  I could actually sort of get kills in arcade mode before, now I may as well not even touch the mouse because I can't fly the plane even sort of where it's supposed to go.

And there's this giant joystick interface overlayed on my screen with a white dot that moves around.  I just crashed because my plane never got off the runway.

What the fuck happened?

I'm close to just giving up and deleting the damn game.  It's not like it reset to an older state.  It reset to something that it was never like even when I first started playing.  It makes no fucking sense and I don't even know what to change to fix it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:48:15 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 20, 2014, 03:19:40 am »

Simplified made it even worse actually.  I could actually sort of get kills in arcade mode before, now I may as well not even touch the mouse because I can't fly the plane even sort of where it's supposed to go.

The mode you are looking for is "Mouse aim".

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 20, 2014, 03:27:03 am »

Yeah, you accidentally activate the mouse joystick mode. Switch to the mouse aim control interface.

Or learn to fly with a joystick #SuperiorGamer

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: September 20, 2014, 03:50:20 am »

Or learn to fly with a joystick #SuperiorGamer

Naaah. Mouse aim master race.

On another point the Ki-61 does seem OK. Trying to get the one with 4 12.7's.

Also it has full APIT belts on tier 1 research, yes.

Though apparently tier 2 is full sealclubbing right now, because 1/3 of the battle i've had this morning was biplanes. I'm serious.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:56:49 am by Naryar »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 20, 2014, 09:52:24 am »

I can use a joystick just fine, but I play RB where most people are on mouseaim.  There's a few big drawbacks to mouseaim like it's a lot harder to do a proper barrel roll (which kind of screws up that lag displacement roll I mentioned earlier but oh well) but the aim part is what matters.

When I'm playing joystick I usually put my convergence at like 250m at most.  In RoF I just set it as close as possible and I don't shoot until I'm on top of the dude.

In RB most mouseaimers start shooting at 500m or 600m and they can make hits at that distance.  I feel like the aiming difference makes joystick a liability when there's mouseaimers.  You've got cykas lobbing 37mm cannon shells across a kilometer and hitting you, you can't be the only guy on the map shooting from 200m
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 20, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

You can actually get pretty accurate with a joystick, even at higher distances. It just takes either a lot of practice or an amazing sense of trajectory and aim (of the kind that actual fighter aces tended to have, though you don't need to have it to quite the same level). The only real problem I've ever had with joystick flight (other than not being able to deal with the various not-always-accurate flight models of the various planes) is that I've got a really old joystick. Don't get me wrong, the Sidewinder is a beautiful piece of work, but it also has a relatively low sensitivity scale.

But, yeah, you have to make sure the game is set to mouse aim. It's a jerk like that.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »

I think I've gotten the issue down to a mix of overly sensitive mouse (I had the on-mouse settings pretty low while I was playing War Thunder before I realized they were an option, then put them at max sensitivity after I stopped playing and got used to that) and being rusty.  I don't think I remember just how gentle you've gotta be with the mouse.

I let the Thunderkraut slide for now since it's a pretty tough plane to fly and I'm playing around with the E-1 which is pretty fun.  Its flight model isn't fucked anymore and it's got the best armament of the early 109s (E-4 or whatever has a cannon with like five rounds and gives up some of its machinegun armament for it.  Four machineguns is more than enough at its BR)
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 22, 2014, 04:20:06 pm »

I feel the opposite, personally. I hated the E-1 with a passion because it couldn't effectively hurt anything but biplanes, but the E-3's cannons are a godsend, even if they run out of ammo after 1, maybe 2 planes. Of course, I play RB, so there could be a notable difference in things like damage models in AB or SB.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 22, 2014, 04:41:03 pm »

I play RB exclusively and my feelings are only a little hurt that you think otherwise.  But yeah, I do the Emil a little differently than most.  With the P-47 and such I start firing way back since the sheer volume of fire and power of the API-T 50 cals means I'm pretty likely to do crippling damage even with long range shots.

With the Emil my convergence is 250 and that's really my upper limit for actually shooting dudes.

Lately though most of my kills have been forcedowns.  That 109 performance is a killer, especially against biplanes and stubbies like the ishak.  They're used to those gnarly scrub-tier turn fights and blow their energy really fast.  Stay out-of-plane and keep your energy up and he'll crash himself before long.
That counts!

The other nice thing about the Emil is that it never goes up against P-51s and shit.  Seriously, fuck war thunder past 3 BR
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:45:17 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:46 pm »

I rarely get to 250 meters. My enemies tend to see me and start evasive maneuvers before then because I always seem to get games against seal-clubbers with maxed out awareness. Or I run head-first into someone or several someones.

Except for the few games where I'm up against people who are literally brand new to the game and half of them crash before we even get into an engagement. Those are turkey-shoots no matter what angle and range you start shooting from, though.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:18 pm »

Cthulhu I'm totally with you there. The E-1 is incredibly fun in RB, with its ridiculous performance at such low BR.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: September 23, 2014, 02:14:08 am »

E1 ? You mean the one with 4 peashooters ? No thanks. I'm pretty sure the Folgore is less painful to damage enemies with.

I wish it had 4 Breda-SAFAT's.

Though I don't have a lot of experience with it tbh.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:52 am »

Its armament is enough for dealing with other fighters, and its the performance which makes it great. In comparison, the Folgore climbs like a brick and handles like a brick. The guns are a nice plus, but maneuvering is what wins fights, not firepower.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: September 23, 2014, 05:05:23 am »

Word.  If you know how to energy fight you can abuse most of the at-tier or undertier planes you fight.  Like I said, a lot of my recent kills have been forcedowns.  Biplanes and the like will always beat you if you try to knife fight them but good use of energy tactics will usually make them crash.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: September 23, 2014, 11:49:00 am »

Firepower has its place. If you have an enemy who's smart enough to not be forced down (and it is possible), having guns that are inadequate at causing damage tends to drag out the fight unnecessarily, and can even give them an opportunity to gain their own energy and either escape or fire back.

.50 cals are adequate for doing fairly significant damage on a pass, and cannons are usually enough to wreck a plane, assuming they manage to hit. GPMGs or MMGs... Unless they're ridiculous Russian weapons like the ShVAK or in banks of 8+ guns like on the Spitfires and Hurricanes, you're generally going to take a while to kill something.

Most of my experience with the E-1 has involved shooting things, getting lots and lots of hits, and watching their planes not suffer any noticeable performance issues for it, much less causing critical damage. I suppose it has something to do with not using the right ammo, but still, it's a bit disheartening.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 163