Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210739 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1440 on: September 18, 2014, 02:35:08 am »

yeah you can try RB, there are noticeably less bombers in there.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 18, 2014, 03:04:18 am »

Oh I've been playing RB for the past two months or so for the most part. But it's gotten boring and stale, climbing for five minutes only to get ganked by something that climbs better.

Or chasing a single guy for five minutes only to have two of his buddies materialise out of fucking thin air and gank you, even though you have like three frendlies around.

Or how whenever you take your bomber hunter out, you're forced to start at the airfield and the enemy team is almost exclusively fighters. Oh, but when you take your bomber out, heyoo, enemy has bomber hunters with an air start, fun times indeed.

The only planes that were fun to fly in RB were the P47 and the Spitfires, and those got boring after a while.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 18, 2014, 03:07:09 am »

Try mixed battles RB. There's less "climbing for 5 minutes" syndrome.

And either climb in a pack or climb away from the center-map.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »

The only planes that were fun to fly in RB were the P47 and the Spitfires, and those got boring after a while.

Spitfire is love, Spitfire is life. I still have no idea how to energy fight because I fly Spitfires so often.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 18, 2014, 07:50:22 pm »

Spitfire is love, Spitfire is life. I still have no idea how to energy fight because I fly Spitfires so often.

Climb the first 5 minutes of the game.
Look for people digfighting and dive on them.
If htey see and turn at you forcing you to either abandon the dive or risk getting a wng ripped off abandong the dive and use the energy to climb back up.
Repeat till you get a kill or run out of ammo/allies/fuel/tickets.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 18, 2014, 08:07:25 pm »

The American planes are very middling. They're excellent at diving, but several of them have real trouble climbing quickly, and even the good ones can't out-climb good climbers in other nations, except maybe the P-38. However, except for some of the early ones up to about the P-40, most can manage extraordinarily high altitudes and can outperform almost everything else at those altitudes, so sometimes your best option is to climb until you're at 10000m and wait for some poor sap to come to you.

A lot of them are also surprisingly good at turn-fighting despite how they've been portrayed, but you generally don't want to get into a turn-fight with a plane unless you're confident you can outperform it. Form my limited experience, most German planes except the Stukas are a yes, a handful of British planes can be out-turned, and some Russians. Japanese are almost universally impossible to out-turn, and a lot of them can't be outrun either, for those you either want to force them into a head-on or avoid until you have more energy or more friends.

The Americans have notable advantages in two areas, but these are usually pretty minor unless the game gets dragged out. They're extremely hardy compared to other planes, even the 'UFOs' of Russia are only slightly better. The Americans also tend to have higher ammo stocks, even on the few planes armed with cannons, allowing them to blow more of their bullets plinking away at enemies as well as letting them not have to drift back to home base quite as often. The latter means that they can often chase down enemy planes that are out of ammo and fleeing for home, though this often means games are decided by whether the enemy airfield's AAA does its job or not, which is a gamble at best for both parties involved.
Nothing important here, move along.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:58 am »

Turnfighting is always extremely situational, though. The outcome depends on a ton of variables, such as energy states, altitude, pilot skill and, of course, planes flown. With practice, a pilot should learn to read these potential situations and judge the outcome.

I know I used to go into turnfights with the P-40E-1 and come out on top. Fun times... Of course, it helped that I often had a wingmate with me on voip.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1447 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:50 am »

Found this, figured you guys might appreciate it.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 19, 2014, 06:15:49 pm »

Looks like the server went derpfaced andk icked most of the players.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 19, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »

Climb the first 5 minutes of the game.
Look for people digfighting and dive on them.
If htey see and turn at you forcing you to either abandon the dive or risk getting a wng ripped off abandong the dive and use the energy to climb back up.
Repeat till you get a kill or run out of ammo/allies/fuel/tickets.

naw son

naw

If he breaks while you're bouncing, you climb in the opposite direction and barrel roll back around, putting yourself on his tail.

Turn fighting is awesome.  Energy fighting is superior but turn fighting is still awesome.

Energy fighting lets you dictate the terms of the engagement.  It affords control to the plane with superior energy performance.  In a turnfight both planes lose all control.  Once one player initiates scissors the other player has no choice but to do it too or die, and once it's on even if you're a superior pilot there's only one thing to do (keep scissoring) and one way it's gonna end (somebody dies). 

And of course that applies if you join the scissors and realize you can't win too.  There's no way to disengage without dying.

But that's what makes it awesome.  It's the real shit.  Mano a mano, no backing out, two men enter one man leaves.  Flat scissors is Thunderdome.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:00:52 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:28 pm »

Hell, you're lucky if you get into a scissors. At least there's a performance to it. More often, I end up in cyclones of doom. They invariably end badly for everyone involved, because both parties are pathetically easy targets for literally everyone else.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 19, 2014, 09:49:10 pm »

Where you both chase each other in circles?  That's a lufberl (I think) and yeah, it's even worse. 

But it doesn't matter because I can't actually play the god damn game.  Decided to give it a go since I was talking about it and after I reformatted my computer it apparently reset my options.  Options have changed that were default when I installed.  Stuff makes no fucking sense.  Buttons remapped themselves to buttons that were never ever that way.  My plane is unflyable and swings around when I move the mouse.  I have no idea what the fuck happened.

So basically shit's completely broke and I don't even know what's wrong so I can't fix it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:52:38 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 19, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »

First, make sure it's not set to Full Real Controls or some other thing like that. It's been the bane of many a good pilot.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling it. That's a pain in the ass, but hopefully it'll work.

If that doesn't work, either wait until the next patch and see if it works or try manually reconfiguring everything.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:28 pm »

Where you both chase each other in circles?  That's a lufberl (I think) and yeah, it's even worse. 

But it doesn't matter because I can't actually play the god damn game.  Decided to give it a go since I was talking about it and after I reformatted my computer it apparently reset my options.  Options have changed that were default when I installed.  Stuff makes no fucking sense.  Buttons remapped themselves to buttons that were never ever that way.  My plane is unflyable and swings around when I move the mouse.  I have no idea what the fuck happened.

So basically shit's completely broke and I don't even know what's wrong so I can't fix it.

I've had that happen a few times after playing tanks in simulator mode, and then switching back to arcade for planes. Controls and flight model seemed to be somehow set to full realistic even though it was arcade. I think I had to go into options and then click Simplified controls to get it to back to normal.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 163