Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210726 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #855 on: January 04, 2014, 08:35:58 am »

I am generally not the whiney type, but I do have to say the 1.37 patch was a severe downgrade on almost all fronts.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 04, 2014, 08:55:48 am »

I am generally not the whiney type, but I do have to say the 1.37 patch was a severe downgrade on almost all fronts.

I guess you're talking about the unlocking of new tech and planes right?
The system is not bad in itself.
It's the ammount of effort they expect us to go through to unlock and upgrade a single flippi'n plane.
I'm researching a FW190 (the tier 3 one) since the patch came out and i'm not even halfway done... i guess i'd be pretty pissed if i cared about getting new planes.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 04, 2014, 10:03:53 am »

A question on premium planes. Why do some T3 ones cost more than some T4 ones? Like, almost twice as much.

I noticed the US have the Ascender which looks damn amazing (tho it flies kinda iffy) and for some reason it's much more expensive than the tier higher Spitfire (which seems beeter in all aspects).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 04, 2014, 10:15:12 am »

I think premium planes come with all upgrades already.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:06 am »

They do.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 04, 2014, 10:47:05 am »

I'd guess it's to do with the fact that with the spitfire, you're just buying another spitfire, of which you already have half a dozen unlockable for free. With the Ascender, it's a completely new and unique plane that looks cool. Expect a bit of premium for it. Although don't ask me why the XP-50 isn't more expensive.

EDIT: Well, the Pe-3 is as tough as ever. I do a dive through a furball at around 550 km/h aiming for a ground target but taking pot shots at anything flying near my nose. I get a kill and a couple of non-critical hits this way. I finish my run, dropping my bombs but doing no real damage loop up and around for another pass. This time everyone is paying attention to me, I hear hits striking the plane all over but I'm surprised as every time I glace over to check my damage, the plane silhouette hasn't even appeared yet. NO DAMAGE. I set another plane on fire in a near head on pass and my gunner gets a few hits on another. I'm just dogfighting now, waiting for my bombs to come back up and something I hit finally crashes getting me another kill. It's around this point where something, probably with a cannon comes in and starts doing damage. It's nothing unsurvivable for the moment, but I'm low, I've got my bombs back and I've still got a ground target to hit, so I make another run for a couple of medium tanks and release my bombs low. I'm damaged enough and slow enough at this point, I can't get out of the blast. I ALMOST take out some planes with me, but the tanks survive and I crash.

tl;dr: Pe-3 says, "You'll shoot me down when I SAY you can shoot me down."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:39:35 am by sluissa »

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »

Watching footage of the Ground Forces Beta, I'm worried that planes might just ignore the tanks. While that is fine, and the beta only has reserve aircraft so they can focus on tanks, I don't want games to just be tanks fighting in one area while planes ignore them and fight elsewhere. I want the planes and tanks to need to work together in order to win a match. Anyone else feel this way?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 06, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »

Nope, several years of F2P MMO's and MOBA's have taught me otherwise, because relying on random teammates is an incredible gamble and either makes or breaks a match. Now, smaller amounts of players are able to mostly work together without many problems. But when you have 10+ people there isn't a lot of cooperation except within small groups, most of the team just fucks off wherever and does their own thing.

Anyways, todays mission made me grind the Bf 109 (kinda neglected the Germans since the Russkies were a blast to play, and most missions involved them). I'm mostly there but the final stretch of XP is annoying to get, not sure if I'll even do it today tbh. I've got seven missions done and there's some six days left iirc. Hopefully they don't give out some retarded ones that require me to grind out high tier planes or play the Japs anymore.
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 06, 2014, 12:34:25 pm »

Watching footage of the Ground Forces Beta, I'm worried that planes might just ignore the tanks. While that is fine, and the beta only has reserve aircraft so they can focus on tanks, I don't want games to just be tanks fighting in one area while planes ignore them and fight elsewhere. I want the planes and tanks to need to work together in order to win a match. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm quite sure this will change with time as better attack aircraft get introduced since currently planes are mostly armed with machineguns that are totally ineffective against tanks... so why planes should even bother sticking around?
Self promotion below.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 06, 2014, 12:41:05 pm »

I'm quite sure this will change with time as better attack aircraft get introduced since currently planes are mostly armed with machineguns that are totally ineffective against tanks... so why planes should even bother sticking around?

That is true, but hopefully they have the tank tiers balanced with the plane tiers so that weak tanks don't just get mass murdered by divebombers.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:30 pm »

They do have player mobile AAA. So those will throw a wrench in the works of planes massacring tanks. If it gets too bad people can just hop in a couple of those and bloody some noses.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 06, 2014, 01:13:15 pm »

I honestly think it'll still be a game by game basis. Some games people completely ignore the ground targets and everyone just wants to dogfight. Some games the ground targets will be the entire focus. It was mentioned by Jingles that the NPC artillery on the map actually do affect the ground forces ability to call in artillery strikes, so that shows that they are at least really pushing to give planes plenty of other stuff to shoot at as well. I know it needs a lot of work, and I've not personally seen how any of it's functioning myself, but it does look interesting. I just wish they'd fix the RP system.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:28 pm »

Just had my first real Do217 N1 experience in HB.

Holy shit, that thing is a beast. It may turn worse than a full school bus, but it brutally murders anything it fires at.

Got very nice money killing 2 bogeys as well.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:41 am »

So i decided to try the tailgunners on my bomber in test flight and was simply baffled.

Not only the spread was worse than some shotguns but the gunners were spazzing out as well shooting in 2 different directions at once.

Hell killing the truck set up in test flight maps toook me 3 passes because the first 2 tries absolutely failed to connect with bullets landing behind the truck, in front of the truck, to its left AND to its right... EVERYWHERE around it.

I mean WOW the only scenario where tehy could hit something by means other than pure accident would mean the enemy planes is glued to your tail and literally 5 meters behind you... and at this point the gunners are busy taking a nap anyway.

And that's with 35 acc and precision PLUS 30 from expert training.
Self promotion below.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:09 am »

What exactly does expert training give anyways?

I'm rather close with most of my soviet planes, which have been a blast so far (aside from the bafflingly undergunned Pe3). Unlocked the Yak-1 while doing todays mission too. Currently working on the La-7 (which I should probably change to one of the T3 Yaks, since those seem more interesting). So far the grind has been mostly painless and relatively quick tbh. Takes about a week of a few matches every day to get trough to the next plane. I feel it will jump to two weeks for T3 ones, which I don't mind too much.

Also really should start on the US tree, those Aircobras are just too appealing to pass up.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 163