Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210832 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #735 on: December 21, 2013, 06:55:37 pm »

I don't really have a problem with the rate of RP gain, but I don't really play much beyond the first win of the countries I'm playing. Sometimes not even that if I'm struggling.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 21, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »

How about this, perhaps somewhat flawed but still very much appropriate analogy.

In world of tanks it took me 159 battles to get from the tier 7 KV-3 to the Tier 8 KV-4. It took me another 173 battles to get from the KV-4 to the Tier 9 ST-I. I'm currently just over 5% of the way through the ST-I to the end of that tree branch at the Tier 10 IS-4 and I've got 97 battles.

That's 332 battles for two higher end tanks. And an estimated 2000 battles for the final tank on the tree(admittedly a pretty harsh grind, but it is the end of the tree)

Now for the war thunder numbers.

I'm making somewhere between 400-800 Aircraft research per battle. Let's just make it easy and average it at 600. One of the tier 4 planes in the american tree costs 200000 research points.

That's ~333 battles for a single plane and it just gets worse in tier 5.

Also to consider, War Thunder battles have the potential, depending on which mode you play, to last between 2 and 4 times as long as a WoT battle. But they both fall short of that max time limit the large majority of the time, so it would be tough to factor that in accurately.

I'd also need ~1330 battles to advance from tier 4 to tier 5 due to the 4 plane requirement, although since the P-51 is a bit cheaper, you could cut that down to about 1100. (<--- Headmath estimate)

Admittedly each Jet isn't as onerous as that Tier 10 tank in World of Tanks, but put together you have a total of 1,990,000 Research points to reach the final Sabre giving you a total of ~3316 battles to reach the end of that one branch of jets.

Although I admit my math at this point is suspect, since I don't know exactly how much of a difference in RP earning there would be with a set of tier 4 or tier 5 planes. I could assume you would earn more and that'd cut the battles(if the reward % numbers are anything to go by) By up to 40-50%. But at the same time, these planes are a lot more expensive to fly, and you'd have to fly other lower tier planes to pay for them which would cut into that and it gets far more complicated.

I've put too much effort into this, and while it doesn't directly address how much things have changed since patch 1.36 since I don't have those numbers anymore, I hope it does demonstrate to some extent how bad things are at the moment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 22, 2013, 11:19:55 am »

Also, has anyone seen the joke of Free XP yet.

Basically, if they take out planes which you had already researched. ((Some Russian bombers were scrapped, for example)) you get free xp to replace them. Free XP, which requires golden lions (RL currency) to use.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 22, 2013, 02:34:07 pm »

A small correction sluissa. Not sure how good are you at WoT but no matter how bad you are you can't possibly take 2k battles to go from T9 to T10 (unless you're counting all the battles from T1 to T10, in which case it could kinda be possible if you're incredibly terrible). On average, for me (being a decent player) it takes some 300-400 battles to go from T9 to T10. That number works for almost any nation or class since the total amount of XP you need to elite a T9 tank (modules and T10 tank unlocked) is roughly equal for every vehicle (only exception I know is tanks that unlock T10 tanks which aren't elite need less and the T-54 which unlocks two T10 tanks).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:19 pm »

You're correct, I apologize, I must have messed up somewhere in there.

I've got an average of 405 xp per battle, most of them doubled as I rarely play it more than 1-2 times a day, in order to get the doubled game, unless an event is going on due to the cost. That number is probably significantly lower than it will be for the rest of the grind, however, as I only recently unlocked the BL-9 gun which actually lets me start doing damage with the tank.

Let's assume I can average 1000 xp earned per battle, which isn't unreasonable and probably a little low if I only work daily doubles. It would take me somewhere around 318 battles to move up to tier 10.

I'm honestly not sure what happened to my math there, but it was wrong, so thanks for calling me out on it. I think that's one of the calculations I made the mistake of not double checking with a calculator, since it seemed simple enough, I also forgot to count in the experience needed to earn the Bl-9 gun which changed things a bit as well, but the main problem was my math skills.

I'm far from a great player, I'll be the first to admit, I'd even hesitate to call myself decent, but I am at least slightly above average judging from win% for whatever that is worth(not much, IMHO, but it's the only easy to see statistic I know anything about relative to the global rate)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 22, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »

Some things I find very annoying about this game.

1. Pilot getting knocked out.
Seriously, this is probably one of the worst things that can happen in this game.. Need to spend even more points in vitality..
2. Getting one shotted.
Annoying when the enemy fires a cannot at you and the next thing you know, the plane has either burst into flames or just exploded mid-air.
3. Getting rammed.
Ok, I might not usually complain much about this than most other people.
but it's getting old.. fast.. Especially when my wings gets clipped before I can react.
4. Shot/bombed when landing.
I make a perfect landing and suddenly my plane explodes.
Not fun.
5. Killed before doing anything.
No shooting or bombing, just getting killed before I get to do anything.. Need I say more?
6. Waiting after death.
More annoying than my first complaint.
That time it takes to wait after wasting all my planes.. It's too long.. :/
Especially if the round have just started. Want to quit to hangar but I also want the round to end properly.

There, my frustrations vented.. for now..

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 22, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »

You can leave the match once your planes are gone. Also, Vitality is pretty much pointless.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 22, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »

Vitality gets good... after you fill it up halfway. Then your pilot can survive a single bullet occasionally.
Nothing important here, move along.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #743 on: December 22, 2013, 08:39:50 pm »

All I level is reload time. Maybe once it's full I'll level gunner skills on my bombers.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:26 pm »

Reload time and to a lesser extent weapon maintenance are most important in Arcade; G-resistance and the vision stats are most important in HB and FRB. In general, though, all of the maintenance stats are important, particularly weapon maintenance as an all-modes stat and the repair stats to allow you to fly more often without spending silver on repairs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 23, 2013, 03:35:08 am »

To be fair, most planes have particular angles where pilots are in danger of being hit. Cockpits do have armor, and different cockpits are vulnerable from different angles. It may be beneficial to attempting to look up which angles your planes are vulnerable and attempting to prevent enemies from getting a good angle to kill your pilot from. I haven't looked myself since its never been a huge issue for me.

It may also to be beneficial to just look up all planes more vulnerable angles in general so you can kill pilots or target more vulnerable areas.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 23, 2013, 03:38:19 am »

Meh, the most anyone things I find are the non-pilot KO oneshots, because they rarely make sense. I mean, how can a plane burn down within 1 second of being hit, and with no sign of fuel leak, fire ,engine trouble or really any damage at all.

Or when the computer really decides that enough is enough, and declares your plane to be death despite it being perfectly flyable, and not on fire at all. ((And with most parts still attached))

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 23, 2013, 05:27:46 am »

I noticed something funny.
People usually complain that their kill gets always stolen by "noobs" who just follow the plane they disabled and fire at it to get the "last hit" and kill credit when it finally crashes.

Well apparently they changed it in some way because last time when i was out hunting bombers with the 50 mm ME410 i had several kills that just make no sense.

1 - Derped a low flying B25 bombing a base. Both engines on fire and at least 1 gunner dead. Someone jumped in to steal secure the kill and i still got kill credit for him despite him getting his wing snapped off by a Yak.

2 - Bogged down in a dogfight and there is a fighter flying right past me. A lucky twitch shot hits him with a 50 mm shell in the wing. However this was a AP shell that did little actual damage but i somehow got the kill credit later.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 23, 2013, 07:23:47 am »

So they complain about killsteals, in a game which relies on teamwork?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 23, 2013, 07:57:45 am »

So they complain about killsteals, in a game which relies on teamwork?

Well it's also a game where kills are worth much more exp than just assists and everyone hates seeing the bomber they chased for 4 minutes and managed to disable its engines/rendner it uncontrolable after a long endevour under fire from its gunners and get only an assist because some russian hack managed to kill the pilot or rip an already useless wing off with a 37 mm shell before the falling heap of metal hit the ground.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 163