Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210837 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #720 on: December 19, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »

Well... at least i have all the planes (german) i wanted.
Otherwise i would probably go bonkers grinding.

Funfact: The polish launcher has placeholder news. They are in russian and say: Polish news.

Ok so i played 3 games today.
Big change for the derpgun ME410.
It not only has a 50 mm gun but also got a set of 20 mm cannons.

The research system is kinda bull BUT it lets you direct the exp you get on a plane to what you want instead of whatever is next on the list... you can skip bombs for example and go straight for things that matter for you.
This is also great news for bombers because now they can focus on better bomb bays instead of HAVING to research MG ammo and polishing their fuselage.

The aircraft tiers... reducing them from 20 to 5 is... kinda silly because 20 tiers made it somewhat more balanced compared to WoP where 2 tiers basically meant that you couldn't do crap to that person and he can destroy you with a glance... dodn't notice much change in the matchmaking tho but i only did 3 games.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:20:28 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #721 on: December 20, 2013, 05:30:06 am »

I feel like planes are more fragile now, or at least AA has been buffed to the point where I can't completely ignore it. Either way, doing well with the Russians.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 20, 2013, 05:37:33 am »

The problem with the matchmaking is that it still sometimes drops you a match a tier above or below your level. Which is quite problematic, as that means you could be running your reserve plane against an old tier 8 plane.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 20, 2013, 05:40:23 am »

The problem with the matchmaking is that it still sometimes drops you a match a tier above or below your level. Which is quite problematic, as that means you could be running your reserve plane against an old tier 8 plane.

Oh... well good to know because if i advance one tier more i will have to suffer having to fight jets.
Gotta stay at ter 3 i guess.
Self promotion below.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 20, 2013, 09:17:40 am »

Yeah, the only people I see coming out of this somewhat clean are people who already have the jets they want. And even then, I've heard some reports say that the module upgrades on the jets are so expensive someone estimated they'd have to play 10k games to max out the Mig-15.

Everyone else gets screwed, but even more so for new players. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to join the game now. No chance at a fair fight in reserve aircraft, slow research progression and they've made the difficulty cliff even steeper with the new more fragile DMs for most planes. (I've noticed a lot of the bombers seem to be as tough as ever, especially the Wellington and the Russian Pe- series.)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:21 am »

Everyone else gets screwed, but even more so for new players. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to join the game now. No chance at a fair fight in reserve aircraft, slow research progression and they've made the difficulty cliff even steeper with the new more fragile DMs for most planes. (I've noticed a lot of the bombers seem to be as tough as ever, especially the Wellington and the Russian Pe- series.)

>join as russia
>get tier 1
>chaika all day erry day

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 20, 2013, 10:55:13 am »

Yeah there is something fishy with the damage model. I got literally clipped by a bomber gunner and the engine died almost immediately.
On the other hand i can't seem to hit anyone with the gunners on my ME410.
They have both 30 + 30 skill in precision and accuracy but they literally cna't hit crap.
Better yet the "magic circle" for the gunners seems to be off so i could'nt even hit anyone manually while the aircobra had no problem with tearing both of my wings off with one shell.
Self promotion below.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 20, 2013, 11:24:40 am »

the aiming circle for gunners is always off unless the enemy is flying straight and level right behind you. It's a decent guideline if you know how to correct for it at various angles and enemy bearings, but basically never aim directly at it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 20, 2013, 02:12:19 pm »

Explanation of the new matchmaking system

http://warthunder.com/en/news/376/current/

Edit: For some reason, the Ar-2 no longer has airbrakes. Despite them still being present on the model.

The Russians are short on anti naval bombers anyway, and now they've rendered another divebomber useless.

Edit: They also threw out a lot of the lower tier Russian bombers. I had quite a few upgrades for those  :(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:00:45 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 21, 2013, 05:14:30 am »

I just noticed... what's the point of using FW190's?
I checked their stats and apparently they are worse than BF109 in just about everything that's not straight up guns as they get 3 extra cannons (something a BF can level up by mounting 2 external cannons while STILL having a better climb speed and turnrate).
The turnrate is in fact so bad that i was tailing one in a derpgun ME410 and got into a circlefight.
Better yet once it lost most of its speed it just fell down like a stone.

Seriously what's the point of this thing ano who invented it.
Self promotion below.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 21, 2013, 08:32:38 am »

While both 109s and 190s are energy fighters 109s are kind of a mix, they can sometimes dogfight. On the other hand the 190 its a pure energy fighter and a great one, excelent top speed, speed gain in dive and energy retention, its super fun to fly and most players wont stand a chance against it if flown right you are basically a eagle flying circles avobe little mice just waiting to die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 21, 2013, 08:46:07 am »

While both 109s and 190s are energy fighters 109s are kind of a mix, they can sometimes dogfight. On the other hand the 190 its a pure energy fighter and a great one, excelent top speed, speed gain in dive and energy retention, its super fun to fly and most players wont stand a chance against it if flown right you are basically a eagle flying circles avobe little mice just waiting to die.

Yeah but they also have a bad climb rate (~14 stock) compared to the BF (20+ stock) and turnrate (almost 30 seconds).
While turnrate is not all that needed when energy fighting i think climb rate is kinda important and it's pretty meh on this plane.
Self promotion below.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:55 am »

Most good energy fighters have sub-par climbing rate, it just means you have to climb to the side and waste the first 2 minutes of the game.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 21, 2013, 10:04:03 am »

I am personally fine with the new research system as it lets me focus on unlocking what I want, not just what is next. However, I really hope that the matchmaking gets fixed. I flew out with my British planes earlier today. They are all tier 1 (top of the tier) in the new tier system so I wanted to level up to tier 2. I didn't get a single kill, and barely got a hit, as I got murdered by Beufighters before I could even fire a shot. In the next game, I used my Americans (tier 2) and came up against a team of just tier 1 aircraft. It was a slaughter and wasn't very fun at all. I really hope that they fix this soon.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 21, 2013, 06:27:15 pm »

I just can't get past the pitiful amount of research points I"m getting per game. Even (for me) really good games. I see that score screen at the end and I just rage.  400 aircraft research for basically doing nothing. 600 for a decent game, 800 for a good game. I don't think I"ve ever broken 1000.

What pisses me off even more is people are focused on the MM, which, i've honestly not found much of a problem with. It's always been a bit wonky and once you got above tier 8 or so on the old tree, you just expected to be outclassed all the time. They've even said "It just needs time to absorb the stats and it'll fix itself. Yet all I see are "MM broke. Fix MM. etc." I see almost NOTHING about the RP rate, and even when I do, people take whatever crap answer they're given(and I've never seen one that answers anything conclusively, just "It's working as intended.") and are just fine with it, no further fuss, nothing.

I really just can't play this game anymore because I need to break something every time I see that score screen. At this point I'd rather it just be completely hidden and we just sorta randomly get new planes dumped on us once in a while. Yes, even the Valve random drop system would be a more tolerable system for this game than what's currently in there, and that's the entire reason I quit TF2.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 163