Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210880 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #675 on: December 04, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

Just had an amezing game in the Derp (50 mm) gun ME410.
First destroyed 2 bombers up high and towards the end swooped down on a bunch of unsuspecting fighters taking out a beufighter and one spitfire.
After that i took out another spitter while heavily damaged who noticed what was cooking and began twitching like mad but one of the 50 mm rounds still managed to hit him in the tail and apparently penetrated all the way to the engine turning him into a burning heap.

And then the game ended with me getting a bonus for getting the most kills (5) among people who didn't lose any plane.
In fact i got the most kills in my team (the next best player had only 4 but alos several ground kills)

Oh and our team lost because almost noone killed any ground targets (including me because i was too busy hunting bombers and the 50 mm gun is not THAT good against tanks)

Oh and i also witnessed one of those darn russians in death cam.
The guy who shot me rammed into someone else... the rammed guys plane turned into spare parts whie the russian only spun out of control for several seconds just to be back in action several seconds later.
Those effing ruskies...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:12:27 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 05, 2013, 02:44:57 pm »

Eh. Playing this after 2 beers doesn't seem so good for my aiming, lions or xp overall.

It's fun, though.

Also, I'm having a mixed opinion on my gun Stukas. Either they work and "holy shit yes did I just killed a CATALINA in one hit", either I fail and get rammed by some n00b or fly into a furball and get shot by whatever Airacobra/LaGG/Spitfire is there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:46:52 pm by Naryar »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 05, 2013, 03:02:03 pm »

Eh. Playing this after 2 beers doesn't seem so good for my aiming, lions or xp overall.

It's fun, though.

Also, I'm having a mixed opinion on my gun Stukas. Either they work and "holy shit yes did I just killed a CATALINA in one hit", either I fail and get rammed by some n00b or fly into a furball and get shot by whatever Airacobra/LaGG/Spitfire is there.

That's why they are called Derp guns. they either do massive damage or fail completely.
Also note that Russians and americans get the same caliber cannons on their planes... with more ammo AND on a much more capable platform (let's be honest the cannon stuka is a disgusting patchjob made out of desperation.)
Self promotion below.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 05, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »

Also said cannons are nose-mounted instead of wing-mounted, making it a tad easier to aim since you don't have to worry about convergence. Really, the only advantage the Stuka might have is that you've got two rounds going out every time you pull the trigger.
Nothing important here, move along.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 05, 2013, 03:20:50 pm »

Ok, even more drunk... time to play more!

Edit: Lawl I finished THIRD of a game when drunk. Killed one with both stukas and I do believe 3-4 with the dorniers.

And then I finished the game epically by going S79, dropping my bombs MOSTLY on target and then ramming into the last enemy ground target.

=>comedy gold
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:40:52 pm by Naryar »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 05, 2013, 05:25:01 pm »

Also said cannons are nose-mounted instead of wing-mounted, making it a tad easier to aim since you don't have to worry about convergence. Really, the only advantage the Stuka might have is that you've got two rounds going out every time you pull the trigger.
The Stukas have much more reliable accuracy than the Airacobras or Kingcobras. Those nose-cannon rounds can go pretty much anywhere in a ~15 degree cone. >.>

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 05, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »

Oh... well, that gives me a reason to start grinding Germans more.

Also explains why I suck so bad with the Airacobra.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 05, 2013, 08:51:55 pm »

They're still good, provided you save your fire until you get close. It's better with the Kingcobras, though, because a single shell will wreck pretty much anything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 06, 2013, 04:35:21 am »

Just found out something about energy fighting in arcade.
While most aircraft can fly directly upwards like rockets and grab kills they couldn't even dream about in more realistic modes they are still bound by some lesser laws of physics... and arcade folk are a stubborn lot.

So i was flying a BF-109 (finally got to like that plane in spite of the agility of a heavy fighter) on a high altitude and noticed a heavy fighter coming straight at me from a lower altitude (probably 400-500 m below) and he's currently 1.5 km away and closing.
The normal course of action in arcade would be "go head on and hope you get a pilot kill before he minces your plane.

Well when you're in a a BF-109 flying at 400 km/h (easy for a BF to get in level flight in arcade) all you have to do is... fly straight up.
Whoever is tageeting you WILL lose hig energy faster than you and even if he gets into the magical range of 0.77 (when the target leading crosshair activates) his plane will not be capable of aiming at you because it's probably out of energy at this point.
And all you have to do now is turn around and blast the helpless sod because he can now neither point his gun at you nor run away.

Ah and my ODC landing whenever i get damaged finally paid off.
I finally got the "nine-lived" title.
Guess i have to go for cannon fodder now.
Self promotion below.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #684 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:02 am »

What do titles do, and how do you get them? I've noticed that the screen in arcade is a ton more spammy since they introduced that.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:40 am »

You have to do specific things listed in archivements.
For example to get nine lived you have to land in a critically damaged plane on an airfield... 9 times.

There are also 2 hidden titles rammer and cannon fodder.
You get rammer for ramming someone 66 times and cannon fodder for dying 666 times.
Self promotion below.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 06, 2013, 10:23:30 am »

As a note, nine lived is pretty easy if you're bad at landing. After all, it still counts if the plane is critically damaged during the landing.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #687 on: December 06, 2013, 10:43:23 am »

I hope that's not in the same match  :o

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 06, 2013, 11:14:47 am »

I hope that's not in the same match  :o

Happily no. Generally you will get those titles over time... even rammer and cannon fodder (especially rammer if you play arcade).
Self promotion below.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 06, 2013, 02:22:45 pm »

So i was flying a BF-109 (finally got to like that plane in spite of the agility of a heavy fighter) on a high altitude and noticed a heavy fighter coming straight at me from a lower altitude (probably 400-500 m below) and he's currently 1.5 km away and closing.
The normal course of action in arcade would be "go head on and hope you get a pilot kill before he minces your plane.

Well when you're in a a BF-109 flying at 400 km/h (easy for a BF to get in level flight in arcade) all you have to do is... fly straight up.
Whoever is tageeting you WILL lose hig energy faster than you and even if he gets into the magical range of 0.77 (when the target leading crosshair activates) his plane will not be capable of aiming at you because it's probably out of energy at this point.
And all you have to do now is turn around and blast the helpless sod because he can now neither point his gun at you nor run away.
Congratulations on your first contact with aircombat manouvers/tactics or whatever you want to call them, with time you will start gathering more and more answers for diferent situations and while results vary a lot, much of those are aplicable even in arcade!
The real fun starts now!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 163