Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210891 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2013, 01:31:30 pm »

So i had this cool game as a german in arcade airfield domination.

First i managed to get 4 kills in my BF-109.
Then grabbed another kill in the ME 410.
Failed to get any kill in my derpgun stuka.
And another kill in my trollgun ME 410 (that poor Beufigh... what the hell am i talking about the bastard had it coming for flying that overpowered piece of manure).

So i was left with my bomber trying to nad the other airfield.
Landing and capping went without a hitch but i grabbed the attention of several enemies once on the ground.
I was dodging craters when a A-20 (or G-20 not sure) came in guns blazing... and he got shot down by my gunner with his flimsy 7 mm MG (well set on fire but i got the kill credit).
And then BOOM i got hit by a large bomb from the guy i shot down.

Seconds after that the game was won.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2013, 04:01:32 pm »

So I'm downloading this right now, might aswell give it a shot while I have the free time/spare bandwith. Any advice for a first timer?

(Also, apparently, I had an accout made for this, not sure how, might be that space dogfighter game or something)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2013, 05:02:21 pm »

I dunno. Maybe you should pick Russia as your first nation, as their early planes are significantly stronger than all other nations.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2013, 06:30:33 pm »

I dunno. Maybe you should pick Russia as your first nation, as all of their planes are significantly stronger than all other nations.

Fixed that for ya.
Russians also have acces to tier 20 jet fighters (something those filthy germans or japs can only dream about) and their low tiers are armed with miniguns (chaika) while everything above tier 6 has 122 mm autocannons adjusted to rip the tail of everything their shells touch.
Self promotion below.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

The majority of the Russian planes, excepting the high-tier jets and low-tier biplanes and ishak, are also easy as pie to outfly if you know what you're doing and use your nation's and plane's advantages. If they get their guns turned on you, you're dead, but if they do it without catching you by surprise you're doing something wrong.

Or you're flying arcade.

Then again, unless you're just starting out and trying to get used to everything, that's doing something wrong.
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »

I honestly don't have much of a problem with the Russian planes anymore. Either they've been nerfed or I've learned how to deal with them. If they do kill me, it's a fair kill and I made a mistake somewhere they took advantage of. Also after having played them myself, yeah, that cannon is powerful, but it's really not all that crazy. They are slightly more durable than they probably should be, but again, nothing that can't be dealt with by good play.

Yeah, low tier is a little rough for anyone but Russians. No idea about jets yet. But if you give these "underpowered" planes a chance and learn how to use them, they can be very effective. I managed to grind my way through the US section of the weekend achievements and used the F4U-d the whole time and did quite well with it. It's fragile, not great gun-wise, mediocre turning and speed, but it's got decent climb(for a non Bf-109) and is hard to beat in a dive. I stayed in the top 1/4 of the scores the entire time and while I was using a p-47 and f6f (and a couple of backup p-39s which didn't get pulled out that often).

Yeah, the F4U gets torn up quite easily by cannons, but that's true of most planes. Don't put yourself in a position to get shot at by cannons and don't be afraid of running from a fight, which is more than possible in this plane if you play it right.  Several times I ran, leading a train of enemy fighters right through a swarm of allied fighters which took care of them for me. Biggest problems will be surprise attacks and Bf-109s.

Skill is key. Watch some videos, learn some tactics, play smart and no matter what plane you're in, you'll do decently because most people simply don't think.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 02, 2013, 04:49:37 am »

The thing about russians is that they are considered to be average in everything.
In arcade it translates to good at everything.

The planes are heavy so they are pretty darn fast when B'n'Zing AND they can gain quite a bit of height faster than a BF 109 (because they are so darn heavy and inertia just works for them).

They also can outtrurn the said BF 109 in a turnfight.

Basically they can outturn everyone they cannot outrun and outrun everyone that cannot outturn.
And let's not even mention the high caliber cannons the fighters tend to use.
Self promotion below.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 02, 2013, 07:41:07 am »

Played a number of matches this morning, quite fun and enjoyable. Gameplay is satisfyingly lasting so far, unlike WoWP which ends battles within five to ten minutes usually, here you can really get into it and stay there for a while.

Only gripe so far is the horribly obtuse interface in hangar, and that there's no way to place any in-game info on the crosshairs where it's nice and always visible.
AS - IG

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »

Just acquired Stuka with derp gun.

Can't land a hit.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »

The heavy cannons fire slowly, you have to really aim with them because you can't really rake. You will fuck up whatever you hit, though.

Also, I have found that there is one early-mid Russian plane that's all kinds of silly. The IL-2 Sturmovik. Big, ugly, and hilariously good at dogfighting.
Nothing important here, move along.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:25 pm »

The Il 2 has outputs a good 5 kg* of bullets each second. It's one of the highest in the game, and certainly at that era.

*It's more. In fact, my approximation is larger than the firepower of several planes.

Also, Il-2 Sturmovik : Birds of prey, was one of the previous games of the developer.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:27 pm »

I got up to the LaGG in one day, and some T1 Germans, really want those heavy fighters.

Also a question, ammo types (that you get from that upgrade), they get picked automatically when you're shooting, randomly or what?

And another, buying a secondary/backup plane is somewhat poorly explained. Do you get to fly it a second time once it gets shot down in a battle? Or do you get to leave the battle and are able to use it another time?

Also also, pilot skills, if I have a singe crewmember, he counts as gunner and pilot? Or is upgrading the gunnery skills on a single man plane pointless?
AS - IG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2013, 02:50:49 pm »

On ammo types: You have to select one of the types(click on the ammo icon, a list pops up.). The bullets that are in your guns are noted when you hover over it. One bullet of each type is fired in sequence  Example:  Assuming you chose a Universal ammo mix for your turrets* (ie, 3*Armorpiercing Incendaire tracer, 1*Adjustment tracer) then your turret will fire 3 AP I T** rounds, and one Adjustment tracer every 4 rounds. There's no chance of having only adjustments rounds for a while, or only armor piercing. It's always AP, AP, AP, Tracer. However, if you have multiple guns, the bullets will be staggered. Ie, one of the guns might start at bullet 1 (AP), the other at bullet 4 (adjustment).

On back-up planes. Don't buy them. It's a waste of money. Once they're shot down, they're gone forever.

On pilot skills. Upgrading gunnery on a single pilot plane is pointless. Additionally, gunnery upgrades only affect AI turrets, so if you're controlling the turrets of your bomber manually, you don't need it. The amount of gunners on a plane is noted in one of the corners of the crew screen.

*Picking this because it's easy to remember.
** I screwded up the notation.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2013, 02:57:01 pm »

Upgrading gunner skills on a single-pilot plane *does* have one useful bit to it: it's a cheap way to raise your overall crew level, which could let you upgrade them to Expert sooner for your preferred ride.

And yes, the Il-2 is awesome for going head-on with unwary fighters. It's OP against similar tier craft, but it's fragile against cannons. Once you start facing off against later model Bf109s and Fw190s and P-39s, you become relatively easy prey because your top speed isn't that high. Even the Il-2M with its tailgunner isn't much better. Curious to see how feared the Il-2's become against player-operated tanks though. Cause with a full load of 4 100kg bombs, 8 rockets and AP ammo for the cannons, a Sturmovik can seriously fuck up a tank column in one strafing run.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2013, 03:10:48 pm »

Well that sucks, I guess it's ground crew skills for the single seaters then :D
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 163