Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210938 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #585 on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:31 am »

Should I use the dive-bomb tactic for reserve German planes, too? :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 27, 2013, 07:38:54 am »

They have good turnspeed, no need to boom-and-zoom.

Besides, you'll probably stop using them after a few hours of play.

But then again at this level it's just furballs of dog-fighting with mostly equal planes. Nothing really tactical at this point (unless you play only one country and then decide to change).

If you like divebombing, go Stuka or Ju88. Though the Stukas can't climb worth ass.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 27, 2013, 07:39:50 am »

Should I use the dive-bomb tactic for reserve German planes, too? :P

Since it seems you are pretty new, let me introduce you to Ramming, an infuriating tactic with roots on real life! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKiH7dw1dyE:P

Despite what most people say (and most of the cases in the video), I found ramming to be a worthy sacrifice for the team if the rammer plane's level or skill is lower than the rammed ones. Thus, your reserve planes can serve in a stretch to beautifully thrash any given opposition  ;D, just dont aim for an already chased plane, as crashing gives point to no one most of the times, and the poor chaser(s) will found his kill lost and his time wasted!.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 27, 2013, 08:22:28 am »

There are basically two reasons why you should ever ram, and they're rare, so in general, don't ram and never ram.

1st reason: There is one more ground target left on a ground strike map, the score is very close and decisive action is needed to ensure the enemy doesn't win. You don't have any bombs. In this case it's reasonable to ram a ground target. It's extra reasonable since in most cases it does give you credit for the ground kill. Still, if the score isn't close, you can almost always do more good in the air.

2nd reason: Almost an addendum to the first, but if you're protecting your last few ground targets from enemy bombers and not taking out those bombers(or fighters that happen to be able to kill the target) quickly will end up with a lost game, then yes, it might be reasonable to ram them. But even then, it doesn't actually get you any points, only prolongs a game, and if there are other enemies on the same attack course(very likely) then you won't be prolonging the game more than a few more seconds.

Even with this in mind, ramming doesn't ensure anything to happen to the enemy, I can't tell you the number of times I've been in a fairly heavily built plane, been rammed, and was still flying after the ram while the rammer fell to pieces.

tl;dr: ramming is an advanced tactic useful in only a very few very specific circumstances, so don't even bother trying it. You just look like a scumbag.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 27, 2013, 08:32:14 am »

I'd add a third reason: your plane is so heavily damaged it's going to crash anyway, might as well crash in something.

Still, I'd love to see some of those prototypes ramming planes IG. Stuff like the XP-79 or the Zeppelin Rammer. Also, some of those rocket-powered German Emergency fighters would be fun to play.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 27, 2013, 08:39:24 am »

There are basically two reasons why you should ever ram, and they're rare, so in general, don't ram and never ram.

1st reason: There is one more ground target left on a ground strike map, the score is very close and decisive action is needed to ensure the enemy doesn't win. You don't have any bombs. In this case it's reasonable to ram a ground target. It's extra reasonable since in most cases it does give you credit for the ground kill. Still, if the score isn't close, you can almost always do more good in the air.

2nd reason: Almost an addendum to the first, but if you're protecting your last few ground targets from enemy bombers and not taking out those bombers(or fighters that happen to be able to kill the target) quickly will end up with a lost game, then yes, it might be reasonable to ram them. But even then, it doesn't actually get you any points, only prolongs a game, and if there are other enemies on the same attack course(very likely) then you won't be prolonging the game more than a few more seconds.

Even with this in mind, ramming doesn't ensure anything to happen to the enemy, I can't tell you the number of times I've been in a fairly heavily built plane, been rammed, and was still flying after the ram while the rammer fell to pieces.

tl;dr: ramming is an advanced tactic useful in only a very few very specific circumstances, so don't even bother trying it. You just look like a scumbag.

Yes, I agree with both of these cases and your premise. I just add another one, when you are flying a very cheap plane (like a reserve plane), and cant take down a very damaging opponent (like, those damn beaufighters) with your crappy armament. Sorry if my last post looked very rammy, I just consider team victory over anything else under some conditions (like, a good match on a X5 day  :P)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 27, 2013, 09:04:32 am »

Ramming is A-OK on ground targets (especially when you are heavily damaged and out of bombs), and should ONLY be tolerated on air targets if your plane is critically damaged and is going to crash no matter what you do.

Yeah, no one likes a rammer. People will hate your guts if you start to ram people willingly.  Well sometimes it happens when you are going head-on, but that's the risk of head-on, and even then skilled people DON'T ram their enemies in head-on.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:08:02 am by Naryar »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #592 on: November 27, 2013, 10:33:38 am »

I think I might be slowly coming back to this - I'd be glad to accept people into the squadron when I do log in.

And yeah, the research interface is rather complicated. Just keep track of your level, which allows you to buy newer planes. And after every match, check whether one of the medals you have isn't a golden brown with a blue airplane on top. If you mouse-over that, it tells you that new equipment is available for you. You should go into the plane's upgrade screen and buy everything that's available. It'll make your plane fly better.

Regarding repairs: just leave auto-repair on. It really isn't much of an issue until you get to much more expensive planes down the line. If you *really* don't want to pay for repairs, just play other factions and enough time'll pass that they repair themselves automatically. The problem then is that it takes longer for you to level one faction.

Also, what does everyone do regarding ammo? I've definitely been going for the Stealth ammo. I can often stay behind someone without them realising they are being shot at until it's too late.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #593 on: November 27, 2013, 10:43:15 am »

Bleh, 4 deaths 0 kills.

I suck at the dogfighting thing. <_< >_>

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 27, 2013, 10:44:45 am »

Yes, I agree with both of these cases and your premise. I just add another one, when you are flying a very cheap plane (like a reserve plane), and cant take down a very damaging opponent (like, those damn beaufighters) with your crappy armament. Sorry if my last post looked very rammy, I just consider team victory over anything else under some conditions (like, a good match on a X5 day  :P)

I can't think of any reason why you should be going up against a beaufighter in a reserve plane. Either way, I'd still suggest against it. Beaufighters are pretty tough, and Reserve planes are mostly made of wood. Odds are you'd do better trying to outmaneuver them or acting as a distracting bait while someone else takes them out.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #595 on: November 27, 2013, 11:09:42 am »

Bleh, 4 deaths 0 kills.

I suck at the dogfighting thing. <_< >_>

It gets better :) Just try to keep the gun-thing on the target-lead-thing and the enemy plane will be destroyed ;)

A few other tips that are good for air combat in general:
- Always look around.
- If you are disengaged and at no risk of being engaged, climb slowly. You can convert altitude into speed, and "speed is life". It allows you to decide when and where to commit rather than the enemy.
- If you are disengaged and at no risk of being engaged, reload your weapons (arcade).
- As you fire, four quadrants of your firing circle will become coloured in red. That means your weapon is overheating. Once that happens, your guns jam and you have to reload. Fire only when you are sure to get some hits, otherwise let them cool down.
- When the enemy is shooting at you, see whether you are faster than he is. If you are, don't do sudden movements and you will soon be out of range.
- Do not give in to "tunnel vision"! It is better to get a few hits in and an assist, and then break off and move on, than it is to keep focusing on the same plane, get a kill and then die. Tunnel vision often leads to "plane-trains" of people shooting at each other in an orderly fashion. Avoid that - if you're going to join a plane-train, make sure to get in the end of the line AND that no enemy can get behind you.

Because it can't be emphasised enough, if "speed is life" is the queen motto, then "situational awareness" is the king motto - always be aware of who is where, and how they can manoeuvre to get on your tail (and vice-versa).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 27, 2013, 11:06:38 pm »

Also, some of those rocket-powered German Emergency fighters would be fun to play.
The Me163 Komet? Just get the Ki-200 Shusui on the Japanese side -- it was their attempt to make a knockoff of the Me163.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #597 on: November 28, 2013, 09:40:27 am »

It's so terrible when you fight against people who are really good but using a low-level account. Two people got 23 kills between themselves and totally obliterated our team.

edit: Welp, no kills for me today >_> 0 kills over three games.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:54:43 am by Skyrunner »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 28, 2013, 11:14:35 am »

That's fairly common at every level, but yeah, it does happen. Still, the people that are farming kills like that are rarely actually paying attention to the objectives. Ground kills or capturing airstrips are good options for your own XP earnings.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 28, 2013, 11:29:18 am »

On a side note, a little casual discussion. I've found that using the light bombers (Tier 3-4) as low altitude ground attack craft works much better than using them in their intended high altitude role. First, by staying at close altitude and taking out ground targets you're gaining quite a bit more experience and gold, secondly, you're much closer to friendly aircraft, and thirdly, your low speed means that enemies have a much harder time trying to follow you through the terrain. They overshoot pretty much constantly, allowing your turrets to hit them pretty reliably.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 163