Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210979 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #525 on: November 20, 2013, 10:09:31 am »

A single game takes like, 5-10m! It's perfect in for snack-like enjoyment just before bed!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:08 am »

Except those rare, awesome games that run longer even though you were just playing to kill 15 minutes before you had to leave to meet some people, but it's been the best match you've played in a long time so you don't want to just quit out, but why is it pulling so close to the 30 minute limit? ARRGH....

And then you have to explain to your friends why you were late because of a game.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 20, 2013, 11:25:14 am »

Probable latency issues.
Plus I don't have much time to play games anymore...

I play from south america in US, EU and some times even Russian servers, 200ms its a non factor in play, from 300 upwards you start to notice the exagerated leading needed. Anyways even in those conditions i can have a 5:1 K/D ratio and im no maverick. If you really dont have time thats bad, otherwise id recomend you check it out.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #528 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:41 am »

I remember playing a Korean FPS, Warrock, which had a pretty casual dogfighting system. Even though it was simple, and at times unbalanced, it was also darn fun.

Somehow I expect War Thunder to be similar :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 21, 2013, 03:37:47 pm »

It has some of that, it also has a really high ceiling specially if you are not playing arcade. If you want a more laid back experience maybe you should play bombers, attackers.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #530 on: November 21, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »

Yeah, that's one of the things I feel Warthunder does nice. It really lets you get a fairly wide spectrum of realism while doing the whole MP and levelling up experience that everybody likes. Cool stuff.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #531 on: November 22, 2013, 05:27:45 am »

What's a high ceiling?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 22, 2013, 08:08:28 am »

What's a high ceiling?

Assuming we're refering to weather, the ceiling is the altitude most cloudcover is resting at. So a high ceiling means high cloud cover. Low ceiling means watch out for mountains.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #533 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:34 am »

I think he's referring to a skill ceiling.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 22, 2013, 09:33:21 am »

Yeah, in this context it's that ability can cover a very wide range from "just fucking around" to "super serious sim fighter jock", and those can all coexist more-or-less functionally within the MMO Must Make Numbers Grow paradigm.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 22, 2013, 10:13:11 am »

Oh, huh, oops. My house also has a pretty high ceiling...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 22, 2013, 12:19:43 pm »

Made Soviet tier 11 last night. So my breakdown is now:

USSR: 11
Germany: 8
Britain: 8
USA: 7
Japan: 7

Fun times, although new plane costs are becoming prohibitive for the Soviet stuff. 260000 just to buy a Yak-9P, much less crew it.
I either need to hit another jackpot battle bonus like that 1 million I got recently, or just farm with some low-level, cheaply repaired stuff for a while.

At least now USA and Japan are to a point where's they're not zomg painful to play. My P-40 is upgraded enough to be a decent ride, as long as I remember its weaknesses. For the non-Soviet stuff, I'm mostly grinding below the actual tier to unlock more skins and decals.

I'll be curious to see if lions are pooled between the air and ground portions. Would be nice to go drive tanks to earn money for planes, and vice versa. I'm also hoping that the equivalent of "Reserve" tier for the ground portion will include armored cars (I've seen a screenshot for the UK research tree, and the Guy Mk1 AC was listed as a reserve vehicle). But the German and Russian trees that were published a month or so back didn't have any BA-10s or SdKfz 231s.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 22, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »

I wonder how ground units will interact with air in arcades. I mean, once the bombers got unlimited ammo (even if they do need to wait a minute to reload), ground units loose on of their main advantage.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 22, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »

Unlimited ammo is kinda dumb. I remember playing Battlefield 1942 and ammo limits were one of the big limitations on how much vehicle-camping you could do. Generally you'd want to be up against an ammo crate so you refill, but that limited where you could squat and your mobility. The primo spot to squat was on a vehicle repair pad, which also counted as a vehicle ammo supply. Because of the constant repair, to kill your tank someone would need to fire up your butt and probably by surprise so they were ahead by one shot. Still possible. Also 2v1 could take out a tank on a repair pad. Or an engi sneaking up. Or a bomber, or a good fighter pilot. Also because the pad had a ramp up on both ends, so it was a little higher than the ground around it, you could sometimes drive up and bump up against the underside of the other tank and push his front high enough that he couldn't shoot you with his main gun anymore.

Planes could resupply and repair by landing in a hangar, which wasn't that tough. Or you could resupply by flying low over an airstrip. Again, not a big deal. But you have to break off your merciless pillage of the enemy spawn to go back and resupply, so they got a breather.

Generally it just seems like a superior way to handle it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 22, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »

I wonder how ground units will interact with air in arcades. I mean, once the bombers got unlimited ammo (even if they do need to wait a minute to reload), ground units loose on of their main advantage.
Then again, tank and vehicle AI is deliberately dumbed down. Taking down an actual player who uses cover and other options available to them will be harder. (Also, vehicle repairing and stuff)
But yeah, arcade is deliberately unbalanced because of the Gameplay benefits. Besides, ground and air will only be combined in a limited amount of scenarios. Most will still be AI.

Additionally, a minute can be enough to be killed in a firefight.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 163