Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211017 times)

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2013, 06:13:46 pm »

I, and many people I play with, absolutely love the 109 series. They have the speed, climb rate, and energy retention to beat nearly anything at its rank. Fully upgraded, the thing absolutely kicked ass when flown properly. The thing with the american and german fighters is that they require a much more complicated way of flying then just going for the nearest enemy and turning with them because they are bad at turning but are fast. The pure speed gives you the ability to choose the terms of the fight. Not liking the look of two spits vs you? Just turn your ass around with a reverse immelman and speed for some teammates because the spits will never be able to keep up. Enemy hurricane (Or anything at your tier or below) below you trying to escape? He is hilariously screwed unless he tries to turn, in which case you can just do passes on him until he is dead. German vs. american match? Just climb full speed right towards the middle and be 2 km above the nearest enemy. The only time energy fighters like the 109s suffer is if you are below the enemy, in which case you are screwed unless you can beeline it for teammates. In you are in AB, you can load up the two extra 20mm gun pods alongside the amazing mine rounds and pretty much destroy anything that gets in front of you. Before tier ~8, nobody in AB energy fights, so you can safely BnZ until a bomber gunner gets lucky or somebody manages a snap shot on you.

Now, the yak-9T vs 109 argument. I would take a 109 of any type over the 9T any day. The 37mm gets so little ammo that it is not even worth using in HB and it is simply not good enough of a plane to use. "A decent 12.7 as backup" Ha, no. A single 50 cal cannot do shit at the tier the 9T is at. That, alongside the very low ammo for the 50 cal makes it also pretty useless. The 9T only really excels at bomber hunting. If you are planning on fighter killing, I would for sure call the 9T and 9K under armed.

As I typed this two posts regarding ramming were posted. Why not. I see ramming in a generally bad light unless it was justified. For example,  if an undamaged P-47 rams into a bomber for no reason, that is just stupid. The 47 is just causing frustration for the bomber and denying himself a kill. An A6M of any type ramming into a bomber is justified because the chance of being able to knock one out before the gunners light the zero on fire is nearly non existent. If a plane is heavily damaged or out of ammo, that is another scenario where ramming is okay.
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »

I just tried out my first bomber run , no not the small planes with bombs, the big planes.
That sensation of power which comes with flying such a behemoth.. I feel nearly unstoppable!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2013, 06:47:15 pm »

I just tried out my first bomber run , no not the small planes with bombs, the big planes.
That sensation of power which comes with flying such a behemoth.. I feel nearly unstoppable!

I thought the same thing when i got my DO-217.
The feeling will end once you get ripped into tiny pieces of aircraft plating by Yaks, LaGGs and King/AirCobras several times.
Also your gunners are mainly there to do special effects since they won't hit anything unless you invest a TON of pilot points into their precision and accuracy.

When it comes to ramming i honestly don't care.
I usually try to evade at the last second but it rarely works (but it's awesome when it does)
If someone is flying straight at me than i will do so as well guns blazing since turning away usually means being a free kill (at least going in guns blazing gives you more or less a 50% chance depending on the # of guns you have on the plane and their RoF.
If you're lucky you will kill the pilot (or rip his aircraft to shreds if you're flying a OP plane) and break off before colision if not... next plane from the hangar go!
Also the fact everyone in AB holds fire till they see the magic circle gives those shooting sooner a bit of an advantage.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2013, 06:51:53 pm »

So am I the only one who flies their He-111 at super-low altitude with the 32x 50kg bomb loadout, precision-striking everything? I got into the habit with my Beaufort and continued it, and it's really funny at times. I once had half my team laughing after a guy my gunners shot down mentioned that I was diving so steeply that I was below my bombs. xD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2013, 07:01:12 pm »

As a bomber, what should I invest crew xp points in?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2013, 07:37:42 pm »

First off, check how many gunners the top-tier bombers for that nation have. Then start saving to get that number of experienced gunners. Other than that, just the normal pilot mix for your mode of choice and a bit of weapon maintenance.

3. Run Resize Enable

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 13, 2013, 07:51:12 pm »

And speaking of bombers.. what country has the most.. destructive bombers?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 13, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

I'm not the best authority here, but B-25s are fucking obnoxious to fight against. Wellingtons can get something obscene like a 4000lb bomb.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 13, 2013, 08:11:55 pm »

From what i know the only nations with proper heavy bombers are the americans with their B-17.
The only other contender would be Japan but they don't seem to have much of a following.
Germany only has a dinky jet bomber with no guns and a laughably small bombload.
And i haven o idea about the rest.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »

The only other contender would be Japan but they don't seem to have much of a following.
I think I'll stay as Japan then.
Anything else I should know about Japanese Bombers?

mud074

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 13, 2013, 08:22:59 pm »

The jap bombers are not very good because of the very limited bomb load. Their best aspect is their gunners which get some 20mm cannons. Most people say the americans have the best bombers and I have to agree simply because of their toughness, their good bomb loads, and the 50 cals they get for the gunners. Many say the easiest way to grind for XP and money is to get the first B-25 and just bomb stuff in HB.
In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only Googletopia.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 13, 2013, 08:34:19 pm »

That's 7 levels of experience grinding with the American faction.. Not sure if I have the patience for that.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 13, 2013, 09:16:02 pm »

I never liked the B-25. It's got a lot of guns, but any large-caliber cannon-armed enemy can and will fuck you up in one or two shots, usually from outside the range of your turrets, and when you're playing HB that's pretty much 90% of what's coming after you. I'd suggest trying out the A-20. It's nearly useless at bombing since they got rid of the reticule, but if you dump the bombs it's a better fighter than a lot of the actual fighters. Until you reach it, you can use the Catalina (I recommend the A variant, which can land on airstrips). It starts with 16 ultra-light bombs and can get 2 torpedoes or 4 fairly large bombs later on, and it's hard to kill and well-armed for the tiers it goes up against.
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:08 am »

Just had a 14 kill game. Feels good.

Yes, I was sort of playing tier 2-3 russian fighters, yes, I feel kind of cheesy for doing it, but hell, it's just so satisfying. It was all in one plane too. I lost my white painted(bad with numbers) Lagg early on to a head on ram, and got into my green lagg with the rockets. 14 win streak all in that one plane. I'll be the first to admit I got insanely lucky on a number of the kills. But right around the 9 kill mark when I had two black wings and black elevators and I was still racking up the kills, yeah... that's when it felt cheesy. Landed, repaired, picked out a few more, my team ended up bombing their base with H6Ks and with one tank on our side left, we won. I don't think it's the first time I've won from a base kill, but definitely the first time it's been that close.

If I'd been on the other team, I totally would have been thinking, if not screaming "hacks!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 16, 2013, 09:28:19 am »

I never liked the B-25. It's got a lot of guns, but any large-caliber cannon-armed enemy can and will fuck you up in one or two shots, usually from outside the range of your turrets, and when you're playing HB that's pretty much 90% of what's coming after you. I'd suggest trying out the A-20. It's nearly useless at bombing since they got rid of the reticule, but if you dump the bombs it's a better fighter than a lot of the actual fighters. Until you reach it, you can use the Catalina (I recommend the A variant, which can land on airstrips). It starts with 16 ultra-light bombs and can get 2 torpedoes or 4 fairly large bombs later on, and it's hard to kill and well-armed for the tiers it goes up against.

A-20 is a great bomber. You just have to fly it as a dive bomber. Think of it as an American Peshka.

@sluissa: When I've had a particularly rough stretch of losses, I'll load up a set of I-153s and I-16 and go to town. Double-digit kill numbers, including several with rockets. There is literally nothing more satisfying than watching some smug bomber shrugging off your MGs, then turning into a pile of airborne scrap metal from a single rocket. My Chaikas (I have the standard and the premium model) and my Ishak are all completely upgraded, which leads to the effect that I can do a barrel-roll in level flight and begin to red-out from the negative Gs.

I'm flying a goddamn amusement park ride with miniguns and rockets.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 163