Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211058 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:27 am »

Sent an application in for the squadron, after flying a couple of missions with Engy and intenuiso.

Since I used to fly with a VVS squadron on Warbirds, I've been grinding the Soviet track mostly. LOVE the Su-2.
Plus the decal art is great. "You decadent imperialists put pretty girl on plane, we put Glorious Workers' Slogans!"

And yeah, Russian biplanes (and the Ishak) are all about MOAR DAKKA. USSR and USA own the bottom tier, IMHO. Germany is a nightmare to fly early on, but once they get the Ju87 and the Bf109 it gets far, far easier. You pretty much need to use the Italian planes to get you to that level though, because the native German ones are less than impressive.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:43:42 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2013, 07:04:46 am »

Well, I've been playing this quite a bit more recently. Especially since the 1.35 patch. It's still infuriating sometimes, but when success happens, it seems to make it all worth it. I do see I was finally accepted into the squadron, but I don't ever seem to see anyone else online.

Just got the P-47 a few days ago and I'm loving it. As far as energy fighters go I feel like it's the best I've come across. I'm finally starting to give the british the time of day and I'm enjoying the new spitfire, but I'm still avoiding the japanese like a plague. Just getting a couple of 5x wins this weekend was torture.

For now, saving up my credits to replace my p-39s with p-63s and buy another p-47.

Tiers are 9/8/8/6/5 if anyone ever wants to fly anything in those ranges.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:58 am »

Yeah, the Japanese have a pretty darned big gap there between their good low-tier fighters and the first Zeroes. For what it's worth, the Hayabusa (tier 2) is one of the best turn-fighters in the game by tier, and the tier 3 seaplane has a very early cannon. Hell, that second one is even possible to land and take off with, even though it has pontoons instead of landing gear. But yes, after that it's nothing but shitty heavy fighters and undergunned Hiens until tier 7.

On another note, I love my Kingcobra. Makes cannon sniping even more effective than with the Airacobras; I hit a Bf 109 G-2/trop with a single shell and it literally disintegrated: one wing and the tail ripped off. Speaking of which, I can't wait to get the new Japanese heavy fighter, that's what, a 50mm cannon?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »

If you want big guns, you might want to go German. They got both the Me-410 A1/U4 and the 410 B2/U4, they both have 50mm cannons. And don't forget their fighters, almost all the 109's after the F-4 (including) can put extra wing mounted cannons on them so they can become pretty deadly.

Also the Ruskie Yak-9 series...(not OP har har har) with their 37 and 45 mm cannons are pretty intense.
The Dread Pirate

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:15 pm »

Hahaha, what!? I guess a lot really does depend on your approach. Just flew out in my Ki-61-Ia, aka one of the shittiest Japanese fighters there is, expecting to die early, spent half the time in cockpit view trying to adjust to the differences, and was only half-paying attention while I read a chapter in an econ text. Instead I went 6 kills, 6 assists, zero deaths. I need to stop being such a tryhard sometimes, I'd fly better.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »

The Bf-109s are almost all good... flavor of the month good, unfortunately. The Yak-9s disappoint me, getting them after getting trolled by them for so long. They're like the Airacobras without the decent speed and a tier higher. They also seem less accurate and don't have the nice number of backup machine guns. Just that one doesn't do much, unlike the 4 or 6 on the cobras.

The Ki-102 actually has a 57mm cannon on it along side two 20mm cannons. That's 7mm more than anything germany can throw out of the air and only 25mm less than the rockets that Russia fires.

As for the japanese planes, I've had nothing but misery from them. The Float plane with it's early cannons doesn't do much for me when it loses the Japanese planes' only benefit, their turn radius. And the same float prevents it from being useable as any sort of energy fighter as well. THe Ki-43 and 61 are both decent, but relatively undergunned, especially the 61, for their tier. You can stay on the tail of something pretty easily, but it takes forever to take anything down and when you're being shot at by a bomber's turrets, you're going to lose every time. The new heavy fighters are the only saving grace I've found. The Ki-45s I've unlocked are all reasonably tough and have nice armament(if a little short on ammo). They even turn pretty well for heavy fighters, allowing me to stay on the tail of almost anything except British or other, lighter Japanese planes. But given that I've only got two of them at this tier and they can both be taken down just as easily as anything by one of the many numerous and lucky cannon rounds in the air, they don't tend to last very long in arcade. I will say they climb better than anything else I've flown in this game as well. I once accidentally took one up to 6000 meters before realizing there was absolutely nothing else up there with me.

Kiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 30, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »

Well the problem with the Yak-9's is that the cannon fired in bursts greater then 3-4 rounds would literally start shaking the plane apart. (Not modeled btw, you could shoot it full auto all day without a problem. Minus never hitting anything that is.) Something that's also intriguing with them is that the velocity of the cannon round is somehow around the same as the .50's that are on it. The aircrobras actually have a noticeable drop to them while the yaks do not, which is insane.
The Dread Pirate

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2013, 03:49:31 pm »

Well the problem with the Yak-9's is that the cannon fired in bursts greater then 3-4 rounds would literally start shaking the plane apart. (Not modeled btw, you could shoot it full auto all day without a problem. Minus never hitting anything that is.) Something that's also intriguing with them is that the velocity of the cannon round is somehow around the same as the .50's that are on it. The aircrobras actually have a noticeable drop to them while the yaks do not, which is insane.

Russian plane in a russian game.
Most rusian planes behave oddly in WarThunder... like teh Chaika for example (well known for being the "minigun biplane"
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »

Hah, and that's not even mentioning the premium Ishak that outperforms damned near everything else at that tier. I bought that on sale and never once regretted it. A pair of 20mm cannons with 300 rounds backed by a pair of 7.62mms and rockets, and even with a relatively green crew I can fire for 4-5 seconds on full auto without worrying about overheating. Even in arcade you'll see enemy planes literally melt if you catch them with a stream of sustained fire. This in combination with the fact that it's got a better turn rate than Russian fighters a tier or two higher, as well as an absolutely obscene climb rate of 24.3m/s, which is actually higher than everything except the MiG jets, including the Yak jets. Add to that the 120% reward rate and +100% experience bonus...

As a random other note: Fuck Corsairs. Don't waste your lions to train your crews on them, they're bloody worthless now. Absolutely miserable climb and turn rates combined with possibly the most fragile wings in the game; I've had wings snap to less than two seconds of low-calibre MG fire in arcade.

Unrelated: Does anyone have the XP-55 Ascender? It looks so fucking cool, but I'm not sure if I want to drop 3900 eagles on something just because it looks like it came from an alternate universe where WW2 was fought with steampunk tech, even if it could potentially be as good as the I-16 type 28.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »

Why exactly did they turn the Kittyhawk into a brick? I'm having trouble imagining anyone would have been willing to fly something that handles that badly as a civilian plane, much less bringing it into combat. Surely that kind of horrid handling isn't realistic.
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »

I actually like the corsairs... haven't gotten the one with cannons yet, but the other two are enjoyable experiences, once you learn to deal with not having a weapon that will shatter planes in front of your eyes. Also one of the few planes I can semi-reliably land on carriers. As for the Ascender, I'd never buy it, those things attract a lot of attention, attention is bad in this game, and what's worse, having had a nice view of their tail a number of times, they don't seem to have the ability to handle all that attention either.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2013, 05:38:17 pm »

So any opinions on german planes? I kinda stopped at tier 6-7 for now.
German aircraft become kinda fun from that point onward being armed mostly with cannons.

Thay also get the most derpgun aircraft armed with 37 and even 50 mm cannons (and a 75 mm cannon on its way).
Self promotion below.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »

75mm? So... a flying Panther?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53:01 pm »

75mm? So... a flying Panther?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not in the game yet but for those interested there is a heavy fighter armed with a 50 mm cannon in heavy fighter tree.
But in reality the 37 mm DUAL cannons installed on a tier 7 Stuka are more than enough to down nearly anything in one shot.
Self promotion below.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »

That's the Germans for you.

In other news, it seems to me that aircraft have just become flimsier in general. Shots that most planes used to laugh off have become devastating, and it also seems like taken damage is more devastating. A plane with a black wing is practically unflyable.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 163