Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211079 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2013, 01:22:28 pm »

And that's exactly why I want them.  I know that, at least for 1.31, somebody tested and found it took 8 passes with a single H6K4 dropping two 1000kg a pass to kill an airfield.
As a warning, 1000kg does not equal 1000 lb. The game devs have kindly simplified the 'simulated' weight into 2lb:1kg, but kept the actual weight for determining explosive power (as far as I can tell) but a 1000 lb bomb still is only about half as deadly as a 1000kg bomb.
Nothing important here, move along.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:19 pm »

And that's exactly why I want them.  I know that, at least for 1.31, somebody tested and found it took 8 passes with a single H6K4 dropping two 1000kg a pass to kill an airfield.
As a warning, 1000kg does not equal 1000 lb. The game devs have kindly simplified the 'simulated' weight into 2lb:1kg, but kept the actual weight for determining explosive power (as far as I can tell) but a 1000 lb bomb still is only about half as deadly as a 1000kg bomb.
Yep, I know.  And it was with 1000kg bombs that they tested.

In fact, I just tested it as well, and it would seems it still holds true, though I am not 100% sure because the game ended (we lost) right before the 8th pair of bombs hit.  I was seconds away from the destroying the airfield.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:17 pm »

If anyone hasn't noticed, WT is up on Steam now, and if you have some cash to spare it might be worth it. Until August 19th $18.74 will get you a month of premium, 1700 eagles, and two premium aircraft, as well as a couple of SP campaigns. Worth it? Maybe.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »

Really tempted to delete my current instalation and get it on steam.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 15, 2013, 03:54:04 pm »

What are the SP campaign?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 15, 2013, 04:23:12 pm »

Dont. Copy your installation to steam after starting the download on Steam, then Verify Integrity. Instead of downloading 7GB, Steam will only replace around 900MB

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »

What are the SP campaign?

US and Japan Pacific.

Dont. Copy your installation to steam after starting the download on Steam, then Verify Integrity. Instead of downloading 7GB, Steam will only replace around 900MB
Thanks for the tip. That's much less of a hassle!

3. Run Resize Enable

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:23 am »

Thanks for the tip, will do.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2013, 07:24:15 pm »

Well since it got released on steam i decided to give it a go...

2 games ago i hit Tier 6 in german aviation and immediately replaced my Tier 3 aircraft with: 1 Fighter, 2 Heavy fighters (all tier 6), Updated my Stuka to tier 5, 1 medium bomber (also tier 5).

Dear god the game from that point on changed.
The bomber while not a star of my last game managed to shoot down an enemy fighter and heavily damage another...

But the heavy fighter... that thing was built entirely out of guns so i went on and watched enemy planes getting ripped apart apart after one or two salvos.
One guy even tried ramming me but it didn't work out the way he wanted because the frontal firepower turned his plane to shreds... whatever remained managed to plow into my left wing but it only damaged it into the red so i could continue on my merry way and start engaging ground targets.

In fact i survived the rest of that round in the heavy fighter and didn't get to try the other planes yet... i'll do that tommorow i guess.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2013, 07:47:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2013, 08:19:51 pm »

The A-20 is a beastly plane in general. I miss the bombs being remotely effective, but it can still fight decently, plus if someone gets on your six and you have good gunners, you don't really have too much of a problem.
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2013, 09:27:07 pm »

I feel terrible admitting this, but I've come to enjoy seal clubbing in the low tier soviet planes. Nothing above tier 3, yet nothing is reserve either, and I've got a full roster. Everything has amazing firepower for its tier (including the two laggs with 20mm cannons at tier 3.) Almost everything also has bombs or rockets, which despite only having the pe-3 for a bomber, still makes the setup usable for basically any situation. (okay, not that great for naval engagements, but unless you're lucky enough to have torpedoes, nothing is)

I don't earn ALL that much reward, but I get so many kills and it's just so satisfying.

US is a close second if you move up one tier to tier 4 and throw the p-40 into the mix alongside a stable of buffalo, but I've not found any of the other nations to be anywhere near as satisfying that low.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2013, 09:35:33 pm »

We all need a self esteem power up sometimes, i usually go play arcade with my p39s, 37mm and basic understanding of air tactics almost guarantess a fun time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2013, 09:43:24 pm »

Tell me about it. The P39 is even more obscene than low-tier Russians.

3. Run Resize Enable

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2013, 03:44:52 am »

Some Japanese heavy fighters also have the 37mm cannon, but they only get very limited ammo and are much less manoeuvrable. I feel *horrible* playing the P-39 because I take out a ton of incoming bombers with minimal risk. Whenever I'm in a bomber and that happens to me it's just infuriating :(
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 163