Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211084 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »

That makes sense about the gunners.

Also, there's not a level 25, unless you're making a joke about German bombers never being good. The German bombers seem to be halfway decent, too, as someone who's fought them. They might not have the firepower of American bombers, but they seem to do just fine with the guns they do have... like shooting people down who don't know how to keep themselves masked from the fire.

As for the B-25, the main issue is that the gunners are really easy to kill. The tail gunner is usually dead before he can get more than a few shots off, if any.
Nothing important here, move along.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:11 pm »

I'm thinking part is just the ridiculous amount of points you need to spend on additional gunners.  That's what I've spent all my eagles on that I got from the tutorials (though I'll probably get $10-15 worth at some point. Which I'll then burn on my bomber crews, and maybe for premium when I'm on break or something).

If you actually have enough experienced gunners, the upgrades for them make a big difference.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »

I have enough experienced gunners, and they are at level 16 for both accuracy and precision. They should be eating enemy planes for breakfast, but they get sniped before they can start tearing into them.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »

On that note, where SHOULD I be putting my crew points for my planes? Or rather, where for fighters, and where for bombers of various sorts?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2013, 09:55:34 pm »

What mode?

Fighters generally do well with a lot of g-tolerance and a bit of stamina for the pilot, and if you do HB some view distance and visibility. In AB they need reload speed so you can get back to shooting faster.

Bombers need a lot of investment in their gunners for the gunners to be any good, mainly accuracy and precision (although more important is experienced gunners if you have less than the number of guns on your plane). Unless you're in a plane you plan on twisting and turning in a lot, you shouldn't need their g-tolerance and stamina so much, though.

Both can benefit from vitality, although the 'not dying from one bullet' effects don't kick in until you've leveled it up to 50 out of 100, so it's not really worth it unless you have a long time to wait for it to be worthwhile. Weapon performance is also good for both.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:02:09 pm by TheBronzePickle »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2013, 10:10:43 am »

I play mostly HB, and i just level Gtolerance and some stamina for my fighters, the view things are cool but you can almost always spot enemy planes at infinite distance just by using your eyes.
In arcade tough id say reload speed is king.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2013, 01:12:19 pm »

So, if you're flying a high altitude bomber on Arcade Mode, I've discovered that a good way to pass the time before reloads is calling out targets to anyone you're chatting with. I had a good time just letting my friends know when someones comming around a mountain bend, or is diving on their tail, from my high vantage point.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2013, 01:19:29 pm »

Just had my first mission as a dive bomber. Imagine my surprise when I find my TS push-to-talk button is the same button to release bombs. Fortunately, this was arcade mode, so I only had to wait a minute before I could actually go and kill the heavy tanks that were keeping us from winning. End the game tied with most ground targets killed, and the only unit that can use bombs still in the air. Not bad for a first time!

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00:56 pm »

I just had a glorious mission with my H6K4.  It's on the map with all the rice paddies, and I make a beeline for the column of vehicles on the left, and just fly low right over them.  I get 5 kills from the light vehicles, then I continue on to the tanks that are behind them and drop the rest of my bombs, getting another 4 kills.  Then a swing back toward base, with a few planes on my tail.  I aim myself at the gap in the hills, take the gunner seat, and manage to take the wing off the first, and damage the second to the point where he swings away.  At that point, the gunners are reloading , and a third shows up and I'm taking a lot of damage, and I lost my far right engine.

My bombs are almost back, and I'm nowhere near water to land, so I swing around back toward the vehicles while I still have enough flaps to do so.  I am only able to hit 3 light vehicles this time, and I lose the center left engine, along with every single wing flap.  I keep flying forward, hoping to reach the tanks in time to drop the rest of my bombs.  I do, and manage to grab one more tank kill. During this my gunners are back shooting, but it's too little too late, as another plane or two decided to take potshots at me.  Both wings fly off and I crash.

And then my team decides to do nothing but dogfight for the rest of the game.  When I died in my H6K4, the team had a total of 17 ground kills.  I had 13 of them, somebody else had two, and two people who had quit by that time each had 1.  By the end of the game, I had racked up an additional three or so ground kills on light vehicles (because none of my other planes have bombs), and a couple of plane kills.  The rest of team?  They didn't get a single additional ground kill.  And we lose, horribly.

On the plus side, I'm only about 4k exp from 1000kg bombs for the Emily!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:24 pm »

1000 pound bombs are useless. They have a massive blast radius, but they're utter crap at killing anything you don't hit really close. If I were you, i'd go for 100 pound bombs.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:37 pm »

They're useful for one thing, actually. Three to four 1000-pounders take off about a quarter of an airfield's health. It might take a few runs (or a few buddies), but you can usually destroy the enemy airfield pretty easily.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2013, 03:43:31 am »

That's what Chosrau and me did with the H6k Emily! We single-handedly won a match by pounding the airfield over and over and over, even raking a couple of air kills of people who were landing/taking off in the process!

Also, I guess 2x500lb bombs is enough to take the tougher Pillboxes?

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2013, 07:06:54 am »

They're useful for one thing, actually. Three to four 1000-pounders take off about a quarter of an airfield's health. It might take a few runs (or a few buddies), but you can usually destroy the enemy airfield pretty easily.
And that's exactly why I want them.  I know that, at least for 1.31, somebody tested and found it took 8 passes with a single H6K4 dropping two 1000kg a pass to kill an airfield.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:30 am »

Just had some great fun playing with Silent_Thunder, Sheb, Burnt Pies and Chosrau! Not gonna say we ruled the skies, or anything, but it was good !!FUN!! for sure!

I really hope we can keep meeting up.

Now one major problem is that at most we only get 4 people to team up in a squad. If we wanted to play more people we'd need to have a proper squadron, which I think costs $15 :(

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:31 am »

Dang, that sucks. Is there a way to give golden eagles thingies to someone? I've still got my 240, if we pools ours, we may go a long way to pay for the squadron.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 163