Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211082 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:23 am »

I just reinstalled. Name is timferius. Whats up with the repair option on the weapons screen? I can fly without it.
Every plane has a certain number of free repairs, that will be used regardless of whether you have auto-repair ticked or not.  Once those are up, you have to manually repair with lions, or wait for it to repair with the repair skill.

And reserve planes always have free repairs.

He might be talking about the different part "repairs" you can get in the upgrades screen. Those are basically just improvements. The idea is that when you first get the plane, it's a well used and worn out plane. You can buy "upgrades" for it which basically just improve it back up to a new plane.

Also did some of my first squad flying earlier. Was a bit fun. First run was level 5 american planes, then someone wanted to do a buffalo squad, so we flew around like that for a while. It was quite fun and I can see the benefit to flying organized if you can get people to work with you and pay attention.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:28:13 am by sluissa »

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:53 am »

Me and some of the people in the Steam DFC chat have gotten the War Thunder bug hard. I'm up to German level 5 and loving the Bf-110, I just unlocked the bombs on it and love bombing armored targets then doing some dogfighting with the cannons. I think I might try to level Russia as well, they seem to have some pretty fun planes like the LaGG-3. I'm going to stream some War Thunder tonight after work if anyone wants to watch, my stream link is in my sig.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:39 am »

LaGG-3 is a pretty good fighter, although it only has 20mm cannon. Jut got my first bombs for the LaGG. I'm still trying to kill a plane with a bomb. I'm sure there is an achievement for that somewhere.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:54 am »

LaGG-3 is a pretty good fighter, although it only has 20mm cannon. Jut got my first bombs for the LaGG. I'm still trying to kill a plane with a bomb. I'm sure there is an achievement for that somewhere.
I'm not sure if you can hit a plane with a bomb.  I flew right over a B-25 in my Dauntless and dropped my bombs and they seemed to pass right through the plane.  I was literally right on top of him.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:56 am »

I'm pretty sure you can hit them with Air-to)ground rockets. Still, that would make me really sad.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:52 am »

You can hit them with rockets, bombs I doubt though. I've had my own bombs go through my own plane as I was trying to dive bomb a target. Still, you can kill landed planes with bombs. Got a triple kill once that way.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 12, 2013, 11:35:17 am »

In flight I'm pretty sure bombs go through planes, but I have managed to get a tk while high level bombing. Usually I can't hit moving targets from high levels except the one time I bombed a convoy and then a team mate went in for a gun run and got caught in the explosion. :(
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:41 pm »

Man, I made insane amounts of XP today. I decided to play more carefully on my first round of the day (which means extra XP). Unfortunately I got unlucky and one of the matches had absurdly low cloud cover. Either way, for most of these matches my kill ratio was crazy high, which means I generally did not die. In one match, I went up like 15-20% of the EXP required to go to lvl 7 and to lvl 6.

Also, the matches where I did die were the ones where my team was essentially all over the place, and I got shot down a couple of times over our own airport, that noone seemed to bother defending. It's supposed to be our safe zone... so again, if you see a friendly in trouble, do help!

The best part was it wasn't even less fun than just going in gung-ho. There's usually enough people that you'll almost always have someone to engage safely.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2013, 07:00:13 pm »

Rockets make for great anti-bomber weapons. I remember doing a head-on charge with an enemy A-20 once while in my Il-2. We got to about 1km distance, just above effective cannon range, when I unloaded all of my rockets and dove hard for the deck while he was torn apart. Hell, it's also surprising how many kills you can get playing the Il-2 as an energy fighter, despite it being anything but.

I'm starting to gain a greater appreciation for US fighters now that I'm playing a bit more thoughtfully, too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:23 pm »

On the domination maps with only two airfields, I've taken to using my rocket/bomb equipped planes defensively. Bombs are a little harder to use effectively as you have to have great timing or positioning, but rockets are excellent at taking out planes that are trying to land and cap. I got so many kills in my Pe-3 earlier today just by circling around "our" airstrip and shooting down anything that attempted to land.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2013, 05:22:03 pm »

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite planes? Not the one you do the best in, but the one that's just incredibly fun to fly?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2013, 05:33:26 pm »

You should try the H6K4 then, a rank 3 immortal flying boat with a 20mm cannon in the back, you will usually get 3 or 4 kills just by getting in the middle of the chaos, the bad part is guners usuallly get killed way before the plane does, so you are flying 30 minutes while 3-4 fighters chase you and unload reload after reload until you sink.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:21 pm »

Actually I played it for a decent period of time, but eventually dropped it. I disliked it for much the same reason as I disliked the PBYs; yeah, there are a lot of turrets, but they all have tiny little cones of fire, and the craft itself is slow and clunky. All it takes is one fighter with half a brain shooting at your (quite exposed) engines and you're done for. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:06 pm »

I've always wondered how tail guns manage not to accidentally shear off the rudder. Seems like it would be a big obstacle.

Anyway, tried out a B-25 just now. Got my wing blown off by a single shot from a 109. Having a bomb sight is a nice change from the A-20, though, which has been ruined for bombing (and used to be my favorite plane). I can't wait for the B-17, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to get enough gunners for it.

I'd say my favorite plane to fly right now is the Spitfire Mk I. It's nimble and it's able to chew enemy planes up. I also like the Airacobra for its 37mm cannon, but also for the fact that it's generally pretty good at boom and zoom or tearing up bombers. Finally, I still like the A-20 a bit for its energy fighter abilities, though having an unremovable set of bombs that I have to dispose of to be remotely effective is a literal drag.

Edit: I hate the B-25. It gets torn apart in seconds and the gunners are completely useless.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:11:21 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 13, 2013, 07:43:49 pm »

I like how people complain about american bombers, you need to try the german ones, you wont get anything even close to the B25 till level 11. Also the gunners dont shoot the plane becouse the gun has a mechanism that prevents it, similar to how some planes con shoot through the propellers.

EDITED: Level 25>Level 11.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:07:50 am by ukulele »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 163