Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 211111 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:28 pm »

As long as it gets right the things that WoT does horribly wrong (extreme shot randomization to make up for the unrealistically close engagement ranges, plus extreme randomization of penetration and damage, tanks that can be completely invisible up until you get point-blank also an issue with the unrealistically close engagement ranges, not making up their mind whether to be 'realistic' or 'fun' and doing things that are neither...) I don't care if you can magically repair a busted track in 5 seconds.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2013, 09:06:15 pm »

I'm hoping to see a spread like this in regards to repairs:

Arcade: Medium-length part repair time in field (<2m, depends on damage), short-medium length part and armor repair time at base (<90s for parts, <2m for armor).
Historical: Long-length part repair time in field (<5m), medium-length part and armor repair time at base (<2m for parts, <4m for armor)
FRB: No field repair beyond minor fixes (tracks, etc.), those very lengthy. Long-length part and armor repair at base

That brings up something I'd really like to see, degrading armor. Basically, make it so that as your tank takes hits the armor in those areas weakens. You're more likely to be penetrated in a place that has already taken multiple hits, etc. With that repair model, it would also mean that even in Arcade field repairs won't bring you up to full, because just about anything hitting you in sections with damaged armor will fuck you up again. That, combined with reduced functionality for field-repaired parts, would mean that it would still be a priority to return to base if you were lucky enough to repair in the field without dying, as well as having to weigh the choice of RTBing for repairs or continuing in a damaged tank.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2013, 10:43:22 pm »

One thing I would not like to see is combined arms. It would be incredibly painful to be a tank with enemy planes flying overhead.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:28 pm »

Whatever happens, let's just hope it doesn't end up being completely russian dominated. Even after acknowledging the problem, I don't see much happening to fix it with regards to the planes.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2013, 10:46:28 pm »

At least Gaijin isn't being defensive about it like WarGaming.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:16 pm »

Well, despite some problems they might have had in the past, Wargaming has managed to even things out a bit. Excepting the Tier 6 heavies, where the russians hold the top three spots (KV-1S, KV-2, and T-150), there seems to be a roughly even spread of different nations tanks on the "top of tier/type list"(1). For the most part now it just seems like more recently introduced tanks tend to do better than tanks that have been around for a while and had a chance to balance out. There might be some bias still, but nothing which seems to have a serious effect on gameplay, especially in the higher tiers.

I also have my doubts as to how fun a "more realistic" tank game might be. I've tried tank simulators in the past, and it was simply too unforgiving to have any fun. WOTs does things to make the game more fun for tanks, whereas those things might not make for a good flying game(as is being shown in WoWP), but just the same, bringing the stuff from the air combat down to the ground won't necessarily make for a great tanks game either. Still, we'll just have to see.

Source:
(1) http://www.noobmeter.com/tankStats/na

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2013, 11:55:05 pm »

Back to War Thunder, just played a mission with my A-20. Got in a dogfight with a Russian biplane. And won.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2013, 12:42:04 am »

Oooh! PyroDesu and I play this all the time with some other friends, I just stumbled upon this thread and am happy to see others from the B12 community are kickin' ass and taking names.

Ehndras & PyroDesu, add us and lets shoot some fuckers down ;) We fly primarily German and U.S. aircraft, for the record.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2013, 10:57:38 am »

Why must American planes suck so terribly? I've only played maybe a handful of games where the US side won without either a fluke of luck or a case of severe enemy stupidity, and even on wins the Americans are usually down to two or three planes facing off against five or more enemies.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #219 on: July 21, 2013, 11:24:57 am »

If the flight models are at least semi-accurate, flying American planes requires a playstyle that isn't quite what people go for. They are good and burly (especially USN), but need you to play carefully, as a team. The Thach Weave wasn't invented for no reason! Also, altitude advantage, boom'n'zoom, no energy bleed by turning too much, etc!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2013, 11:48:45 am »

I've tried using US planes as dive fighters. The main issue with diving is that it's really, really hard to keep yourself on target even against an unaware plane going straight forward, and even after you dive you really don't have the speed or climbing power to escape enemy planes before they tear you to shreds. US fighters aren't good at what they're supposed to be good at.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #221 on: July 21, 2013, 12:02:17 pm »

Well, there's climbing and there's zooming. US(N) planes aren't too good at zooming, especially compared to the IJN ones. The Zero was so light it could really hang on its propeller, so what you are likely to want to do is zoom down then use a relatively low climbing angle, like maybe 20-30 degrees?

Regarding aiming... yeap, it's hard! And that's where having a cannon really helps, as a single hit accounts for a ton of damage...

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 21, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »

Excepting the Tier 6 heavies, where the russians hold the top three spots (KV-1S, KV-2, and T-150), there seems to be a roughly even spread of different nations tanks on the "top of tier/type list"(1).
It was broken lately with changes to german T6 and god knows how long ago to american T6. All EU and RUS top teams were winning tier 6 tournaments with either VK3601H or M6 (former were simply better, m6 used to diversify tactics). Both line-ups were massacring russian ones even in times when kv3 was T6. But "major population" always said russian ones were best, same "major population" that was massacred in them.

So, did gaijin said how will land battles look like? Other than meaningless screens of tanks? I would have nothing against combined arms warfare, but they would have to completly remove markers like in FRB.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2013, 04:32:33 pm »

I honestly don't see CA working, at least not with the current relative strength of G2A fire versus A2G fire.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 21, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »

Aye, American planes are very strange to use, but they're superior fighters if you learn the proper techniques. I always fly German, they're my favorite planes by far but once I started using American planes my dogfighting kills sky-rocketed.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 163