Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210592 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #975 on: March 18, 2014, 11:05:48 am »

Americans have hands-down the toughest planes of all the nations, not to mention all-around good staying power between fuel, ammo and sheer hardassery. They need it, because they have pissy climb rates. Banks of .50 calibers are good, but not great, you have to be careful on the boom-and-zoom to get enough damage to ensure a kill.

Russians are nearly as tough as Americans simply because they don't know when to give up the ghost and are like dwarves in their ignorance of being on fire.
Nothing important here, move along.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 18, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »

I like the Brits, they're a more refined weapon from a more civilized age.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 20, 2014, 04:13:34 pm »

I played this a while back pre-steam for a total of probably an hour and after hearing about the notorious 1.37 patch I was wondering if it was worth picking up again?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

I played this a while back pre-steam for a total of probably an hour and after hearing about the notorious 1.37 patch I was wondering if it was worth picking up again?

Depends. Do you have all/most planes you want and don't really need grind toget planes you want?
Then you're golden come in and have fun.

You want a plane deep down some tech tree?
Better not... believe me the grind will break you unless it's tier 2 or 3 at most and even then some tier 3 aircraft grinds get ludicrous.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #979 on: March 20, 2014, 09:17:30 pm »

That's why you play actual flight sims :D No gimmicks! Just play a historical scenario! Not a fair plane-set? War wasn't fair, and it's the pilot that counts! :)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 21, 2014, 01:18:28 am »

Look kid, I've flown from Pelieu to Sicily, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff. But hokey biplanes and ancient Vickers are no match for a good Thunderbolt on your wing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 21, 2014, 06:10:32 am »

Look kid, I've flown from Pelieu to Sicily, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff. But hokey biplanes and ancient Vickers are no match for a good Thunderbolt on your wing.

True historical is broken and only Germans/Americans there count but brits beat both without problems in arcade.
Self promotion below.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 23, 2014, 05:51:25 am »

Ju87 D5 is the greatest plane ever, closely followed by the !!Hs129 b2!!

discuss

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:28 am »

discuss

Both are fun but i'd like to point out that both are somewhat weak plaforms that fly slow gain alt slow and turn slow making Yak-9s much better due to a better platform their guns are mounted in.
Heck even the ME-410 wit the 50mm  gun has much better flight characteristics than those 2 and unlike the russians it's pin point accurate.
I'm not sure however if the 50 mm gun loaded with AP shells on the ME410 can damage bunkers. It does 2 shot light bunkers but i have no idea about normal ones so the 75mm gun might have an upper hand in that department... as well as being able to engage tanks from more angles and pop them more reliably.

As for trolling aircraft... i think the plane is too sluggish for that really... at least the stuka starts at bobmer altitude and can turn pretty well allowing it to quickly unload a hail of 37 mm shells on some poor bomber but the HS... TBH against aircraft the 50 mm gun was already overkill and a 1 shot kill is still a one shot kill no matter how much more ravaged the enemy plane is after being hit because it's likely to have been utterly demolished after one shell anyway.

Also lawl at my attempts to down a B-17 in a FW-190. Set it on fire twice and destroyed 3 of its engines and it KEPT GOING. i still peppered it with the MG while the cannons were reloading only to get "TARGET UNDAMAGED"... damn what did htey plate this thing with.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:02:20 am by Sonlirain »
Self promotion below.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 23, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

Hs129b2 may explode when a Peashooter shoots at him, but... so much firepower... That 30mm is extremely awesome.

Ju87D5 turns very well, has 2 20mm MG151 with air targets AND Minengeschoss and becomes even better when you dive and break it's landing train.

I can't kill anything in a Fw190 as well. It must be these standard 20mm belts.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 23, 2014, 11:42:17 am »

The 30 mm might be awesome but it's still a sluggish plane that does not really offer much of an improvement in a ground attack role over a 50 mm ME410 aside of maybe being able to engage bunkers.

Oh and i noticed something fun... if you land and fully repair your airplane in arcade you can leave it on the runway and play another plane and the landed plane REMAINS availble.
However if you select it later you will have to take off the airfield instad of starting in the air.
Self promotion below.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 24, 2014, 03:08:15 am »

I will try the 50mm me410. Since it just gained 2 MG151's in last patch it should just be interesting. Though I hear it's the mother of derp-guns in arcade, fails more than the BK 37.

Ground the 4 mg151 me410 lately, nearly finished with that derp bomber... he111 h6 or something (hell at least it has a nice bombload). Still not enough money.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 24, 2014, 10:07:04 am »

Also lawl at my attempts to down a B-17 in a FW-190. Set it on fire twice and destroyed 3 of its engines and it KEPT GOING. i still peppered it with the MG while the cannons were reloading only to get "TARGET UNDAMAGED"... damn what did htey plate this thing with.

Basically steel everywhere. That's why despite being a heavy bomber it get's fewer bombs than a Tier II Wellington.

discuss

False; can't even down a Wellington. See my earlier posts here for reference.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 24, 2014, 10:10:54 am »

discuss

Yes it can. You're not just using anti-air ammo.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:19 am »

discuss

Yes it can. You're not just using anti-air ammo.

It's still just 2 20 mm cannons. Compare those to the 23 mm cannons and 2 miniguns the IL-2 gets.
20 mm cannons aren't that hot unless you go for suprising the enemy who thinks "Oh a stuka easy kill... RATATATAT! OH GOD WHY!?"
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 163